• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Problems with Panzer Dragoon Orta displaying 480p on original Xbox.

I just got a new original Xbox since my old Xbox decided to die and stop displaying through component out. This new one is apparently the 1.6 hardware version.

When I try to play Panzer Dragoon Orta in 480p, I get gibberish, as if the game doesn't support 480p. I know it supports the resolution as the older Xboxen that died displayed it beautifully until its untimely video display death.

All my other 480p games (like Psychonaughts) work just fine, as well. So I did a google search and it appears I'm not alone. Apparently the same problem exists for JSRF, though I haven't tried that yet.

However, that was over four years ago, and I'm just wondering if anyone might know if there's a fix for it, homebrew or otherwise. I realise that PDO is compatible with 360, but sometimes the game is a little on the glitchy side.

komarkaze

I think PDO was working only in 480i on original Xbox. I don't recall it outputting properly on my Xbox component cables. For 360, it will be able to display it in 480p since it auto converts the signal.

komarkaze said:
I think PDO was working only in 480i on original Xbox. I don't recall it outputting properly on my Xbox component cables. For 360, it will be able to display it in 480p since it auto converts the signal.

Oh it displays 480p, not only does the box say it does, but the original Xbox I had prior to this new one also displayed 480p.

The game currently does play in 480i mode, but it isn't nearly as nice looking.

Also forgot to note in the OP: both the game and system are NTSC/US.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
Dragona Akehi said:
I just got a new original Xbox since my old Xbox decided to die and stop displaying through component out. This new one is apparently the 1.6 hardware version.

When I try to play Panzer Dragoon Orta in 480p, I get gibberish, as if the game doesn't support 480p. I know it supports the resolution as the older Xboxen that died displayed it beautifully until its untimely video display death.

All my other 480p games (like Psychonaughts) work just fine, as well. So I did a google search and it appears I'm not alone. Apparently the same problem exists for JSRF, though I haven't tried that yet.

However, that was over four years ago, and I'm just wondering if anyone might know if there's a fix for it, homebrew or otherwise. I realise that PDO is compatible with 360, but sometimes the game is a little on the glitchy side.

You're better off playing PDO on the 360 framerate issues aside. There were some problems with PDO regarding it playing on 480p on the original Xbox. I don't remember the exact cause/problem, but it was better off playing the game on 480i. I've beaten PDO on the 360 with no problem, and it looks gorgeous with the upscaling.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
komarkaze said:
I think PDO was working only in 480i on original Xbox.
Nope. I got 480p with both of my Xboxen.

RavenFox

Banned
Jangaroo said:
You're better off playing PDO on the 360 framerate issues aside. There were some problems with PDO regarding it playing on 480p on the original Xbox. I don't remember the exact cause/problem, but it was better off playing the game on 480i. I've beaten PDO on the 360 with no problem, and it looks gorgeous with the upscaling.
It was because of the versions if I remember correctly. Something about a new variety of xboxes and the tweaked Nvidia cards in them that resulted in Panzer Dragoon not displaying in 480p. It's been a while but this problem didnt happen on older Xboxes

Jangaroo said:

Well that's kinda a shame, but I suppose I can live with it. I was just hoping there'd be a fix by now, official or otherwise. It seems like the system isn't accessing the 480p flag on the disc.

RavenFox said:
It was because of the versions if I remember correctly. Something about a new variety of xboxes and the tweaked Nvidia cards in them that resulted in Panzer Dragoon not displaying in 480p. It's been a while but this problem didnt happen on older Xboxes

Yes, the thread I linked couldn't decide whether it was the revision of Xbox hardware of if it was a bunch of bad discs. It's probably the former...

drizzle

Axel Hertz
As far as I know, you're out of luck, Dragona. It's something to do with the hardware XCalibur video encoder.

Xboxes 1.0 to 1.3 use Conexant to encode video, which is the most reliable encoder.
1.4 and 1.5 use Focus, which is not as good but works with everything.
1.6 uses Xcalibur, and at least PDO and Jet Set Radio Future wont work as 480p.

Your only choice is to get a earlier version model, or play it on the 360 (not an option with JSRF, as it runs at like 10 FPS on the 360).

Edit: AVS Forum has a thread on the subject, even with an "official" microsoft support answer:
http://archive2.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=432110

Suairyu

Banned
Jangaroo said:
Oh? So they finally fixed the issue of the game crashing during the post level-3 cutscene?

drizzle said:
As far as I know, you're out of luck, Dragona. It's something to do with the hardware XCalibur video encoder.

Xboxes 1.0 to 1.3 use Conexant to encode video, which is the most reliable encoder.
1.4 and 1.5 use Focus, which is not as good but works with everything.
1.6 uses Xcalibur, and at least PDO and Jet Set Radio Future wont work as 480p.

Your only choice is to get a earlier version model, or play it on the 360 (not an option with JSRF, as it runs at like 10 FPS on the 360).

Edit: AVS Forum has a thread on the subject, even with an "official" microsoft support answer:
http://archive2.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=432110

Very unlikely for me to locate an original 1.0-1.3 Xbox in good working order. Poo.

The Xbox seems to give a better colour saturation versus the 360 as well. (Something I noticed with comparing Psychonaughts on either system.) Oh well.

You'd think with the massive amounts of Xbox homebrew out there, someone would have figured out a way to fix it. Oh well. Thanks for the answers.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
Suairyu said:
Oh? So they finally fixed the issue of the game crashing during the post level-3 cutscene?

I played the game on an NA 360 which works fine for the most part. EU 360's still have problems with PDO, which doesn't allow the game to continue past level 3.

Cahill

Banned
Was wondering WTF was going on with PD on my newest Xbox when I popped it in a while back. Guess now I know.

Top Bottom