• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

With the rumoured launched of PS5 Pro and Switch 2 this year, I honestly don't know what the way forward for Xbox is

Fredrik

Ehhhh. The industry is better with game pass, imo, as a consumer. I want this direction.

I’m all for fewer boxes under my tv. I look forward to an all cloud gaming future where it’s all done through apps on the tv or vr headset.
No mods because games are running on a server will suck.

But I agree on the rest. I’m so over buying multiple boxes every generation and I can’t skip anything when they all have exclusives until they all do PC releases day 1 and I build a living room PC.

Ehhhh. The industry is better with game pass, imo, as a consumer. I want this direction.

I’m all for fewer boxes under my tv. I look forward to an all cloud gaming future where it’s all done through apps on the tv or vr headset.

Man I do not look forward to that future at all. Good thing is sub services have stalled across the industry and I never believed cloud would do much of anything honestly. We are so far from that future it's not even something I think about. I think it will be at most something that's an option like PS remote play.

Ogbert

All Xbox need to do is release some good games.

I’ll say it until I’m blue in the face; MS will be back when they release an awesome Gears of War.

That’s their game. That’s the title that people want to play.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Man I do not look forward to that future at all. Good thing is sub services have stalled across the industry and I never believed cloud would do much of anything honestly. We are so far from that future it's not even something I think about. I think it will be at most something that's an option like PS remote play.
It’s cool to live in denial bro.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
No mods because games are running on a server will suck.

But I agree on the rest. I’m so over buying multiple boxes every generation and I can’t skip anything when they all have exclusives until they all do PC releases day 1 and I build a living room PC.
Want to know a secret? Most exclusives aren’t worth buying/playing. Just watch the full playthrough on YouTube. Let’s face it, some of these exclusives are pretty much movies already.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Yea dude, they just spent 70bn + millions in billable hours to lawyers last year to bow out of gaming. Xbox will keep chugging along because MS desperately wants it to. If this were a smaller company they would’ve tapped out after last gen.

Here's the thing.

Their console sales are on the decline.
Game Pass subscribers are stagnant.
Cloud gaming is not guaranteed to take off.

They didn't spend nearly $80 billion to see very little improvement in their division, they made it to see massive improvements and to be more competitive in the gaming market.

Poor console sales mean gamers aren't interested in the product you're selling despite big acquisitions. Things can certainly change when they start releasing more games, but remember, ZeniMax was shopping for time exclusive deals because their games weren't selling that well. They're taking games off the PlayStation platform and that means they have to make up that ground on a declining platform in Xbox.

So if cloud gaming is not taking off and console sales are poor, the only way to recover their investment and to grow is to put games on other platforms.

LakeOf9

Want to know a secret? Most exclusives aren’t worth buying/playing. Just watch the full playthrough on YouTube. Let’s face it, some of these exclusives are pretty much movies already.
Which exclusives would you say are exempt from "movie" status?

pqueue

The path forward for YOU as a consumer is just get a PC.

No need to own an Xbox console. Xbox will go 3rd party anyways. I doubt there is another Xbox console
By that logic, there is practically no reason to own a PS5. Pretty much all their first party games are coming to PC too.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
#1 company in the world MS on their way to small time indie company Sony to make an “offer”

dxPCVL.gif

I just wonder what will happen, MS letting Sony have game pass, or Microsoft’s PlayStation acquisition.
Seeing as how Sony and MS partnered on Afeela stuff, shown at CES this year....MS as a whole isnt ran by fanboys or illogical people.

But yeah....some of said this recently....Xbox might go thru some major changes in the upcoming years...maybe sooner than anyone thinks. All the money in the world doesnt change anything if MS decides to make changes.

kyussman

GamePass is the way forward for Xbox......not sure why anyone is not aware of that at this point......how successful they can make it is up for debate,but that's the strategy they have chosen.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Switch 2 is going to be a behemoth. But it’s largely a different audience I think, that doesn’t want an Xbox.
Microsoft would be wise to continue putting their games on Switch and Switch 2.

Combatting PlayStation is really down to putting out some damn games that people want to play.

Realistically Sony doesn’t release a lot of games, but they pad their schedule with third party exclusives. It’s a tactic Microsoft used to great effect with Xbox 360, and one they’d need to resort to again.
Otherwise, put out some damn good first party shit. You’ve got way more studios than they do.
Also keep kissing Japan’s ass. Get some timed exclusives. Where’s Blue Dragon 2? Lost Odyssey 2? Sony walked away from Japan. You should be jumping in the vacant slot.

why are playstation fans always so concerned about xbox? i thought they won the console war and get all the chicks now?

Your basically asking why are gamers so concerned about one of the largest gaming companies in the world and what they are doing. If you're surprised that people who go online and discuss gaming topics on a message board are also fascinated by what one of the top 3 gaming companies is doing I don't know what to tell you.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Microsoft is probably just going to let PC be their pro model. For, like, actual pro's or something. Who even knows.

Crayon

I keep saying here is that despite creating the internet illusion that game pass was taking over the world, it's not. It's at least a partial failure. Any reasonable plan will involve heavily rethinking what game pass is.

If they continue with the exact same plan, except jumping the next gen early, it's going to be a hilarious disaster and I can't wait.

Imagine how much it would cost them to pay the independent Activision to launch all future games on game pass while also excluding PlayStation completely. How much money it would take for them to cover those losses. Well, now that they own Activision, it's probably about the same amount of money it's going to cost ms to put the games on game pass and exclude PlayStation. All so you can be prepared to go up against wolverine with crash bandicoot 5. It has Phil written all over it.

I think Phil knows games well enough, but he seems to think like a garden variety fanboy and it clouds his judgment. Emails show that what he really wants is to be the only game in town, having bought or hobbled any competition. He's in an interview crying about digital library entrenchment like any common forum tard while people seem to have no issue leaving behind their XBox digital library.

But Xbox will be fine because in a couple years, me and HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 will be in total control and fix everything.

Last edited:

schaft0620

IMO I think they are going to reboot the brand in 2026. Having GTA6 and CoD running better on PlayStation hardware is going to be consequential.

They will drop the Series brand and hardware, move to a new box, will no longer go head to head with PlayStation every 8 years. I think there will be a portable device of some kind. Surface Pro or Switch like device. In conjunction with a high end discless box + PC.

If you buy a PS6, you won't have COD for the whole gen. I think they delay a bunch of games to the new platform (Blade, Fable, the next main Forza, Halo 7, Gears 7). They come out swinging in 2026, if that doesn't work and the AI bubble pops, Microsoft will clean house.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Yea dude, they just spent 70bn + millions in billable hours to lawyers last year to bow out of gaming. Xbox will keep chugging along because MS desperately wants it to. If this were a smaller company they would’ve tapped out after last gen.
Nobody expects them to bow out of gaming. But eventually someone got to ask the hard question from gaming division as to the value of continuing with making games for exclusive hardware nobody is buying.

From investing perspective, the $80+ billion MS spent makes a lot more sense of your audience is much larger vs Xbox and PC.

simpatico

They need to make their move with the studios they bought. When Xbox 5 drops they just need to lock down COD and all their studios with no hopes of a multiplat port. But you have to catch people at the right time. If they're deciding between PS6 and XB4, and they know XB5 is the only console you can play COD on, it just might work. It's their only chance at least.

StereoVsn

That could work too. Honestly we haven't seen it come into fruition because of development time. If Avowed, Hellblade 2, and Indy all release to critical acclaim then they can build off that momentum entering 2025. I really hope they weren't stupid enough to make Indy a first person title.
Nobody outside Xbox ecosystem really cares about Hellblade. Avowed looks like medieval Outer Worlds and they already said it isn’t “Skyrim sized “.

I think Indy is first person. So… about this stellar year of games …

StereoVsn

IMO I think they are going to reboot the brand in 2026. Having GTA6 and CoD running better on PlayStation hardware is going to be consequential.

They will drop the Series brand and hardware, move to a new box, will no longer go head to head with PlayStation every 8 years. I think there will be a portable device of some kind. Surface Pro or Switch like device. In conjunction with a high end discless box + PC.

If you buy a PS6, you won't have COD for the whole gen. I think they delay a bunch of games to the new platform (Blade, Fable, the next main Forza, Halo 7, Gears 7). They come out swinging in 2026, if that doesn't work and the AI bubble pops, Microsoft will clean house.
CoD will be on PlayStation till about 2034 due to 10 year multi platform provision. Unless MS wants to get fined and receive injunctions against operating in various regions of the world.

Last edited:

Iced Arcade

As someone who bought into pro consoles last Gen... It won't matter.

A handful of games will be minimally optimized, gain the company bragging rights and forum users specs to argue/boast. 💁

Last edited:

pqueue

After like 3 years

Dumb argument
it is 2 years or less. and yes, I can wait. there are a fuckton of games available on the PC platform that are not available on PS5. I have no shortage of games to play in the interim.

They need to make their move with the studios they bought. When Xbox 5 drops they just need to lock down COD and all their studios with no hopes of a multiplat port. But you have to catch people at the right time. If they're deciding between PS6 and XB4, and they know XB5 is the only console you can play COD on, it just might work. It's their only chance at least.
is time to let go. at this point, it reads like a parody.

Codes 208

All Xbox need to do is release some good games.

I’ll say it until I’m blue in the face; MS will be back when they release an awesome Gears of War.

That’s their game. That’s the title that people want to play.
And cut the price of the consoles permanently. They sold out stupidly fast when it was $350 (even $400 would help keep their sales up between major releases)

I think if I were microsoft, I wouldn't measure my success against the sales of my competitors but against the sales of my previous generation hardware. Is the Series X/S selling more than the One/One X? If so then it's already going well so no need to change....unless your growth is still not enough.

Three

I think if I were microsoft, I wouldn't measure my success against the sales of my competitors but against the sales of my previous generation hardware. Is the Series X/S selling more than the One/One X? If so then it's already going well so no need to change....unless your growth is still not enough.
Not sure if that is a genuine question. It's selling less than the xbox one so it's performing worse than it but you probably knew that already.

Top Bottom