• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Mugen reveal trailer

Thief1987

More info in the Gematsu article

... free-to-play “urban open-world RPG” Project Mugen, which will be available for PlayStation 5, PlayStation 4, PC, iOS, Android, and the cloud. The PlayStation 4 version is newly confirmed. Pre-registration is available now via the official website.
Urban, Open-World Setting – Explore a vast map that delivers a rich city life experience. From neon-lit nightlife to serene parks, every corner of the city holds a story. Engage in open exploration, scaling skyscrapers, diving into subways, and interacting with a dynamic environment that reacts to your every move.
Unique Combat Experience – Engage in team-based combat with four characters, each having different attributes that synergize with each other. Utilize environmental objects in battle and make use of the urban terrain to deal with monsters in various ways.
Captivating Artistic Style – Project Mugen is more than a game; it’s a visual journey. The art direction, a blend of modern aesthetics with ethereal touches, promises to captivate players at every turn.
Fast Paced Traversal and Vehicles – Every character has a basic movement skill such as parkour, swinging, or wall-climbing. Some characters also have a unique travel ability based on their individual identity, like riding a special war hammer. Players can also intercept and ride vehicles like cars in the city.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Gotta be honest all these anime looking games in the last 5ish years look the same. It all seems like they are made by the Genshin Impact devs.

Genshin
Tower of Fantasy
zzz
Mugen
Blue protocol
Star Rail

Am I missing any ? It’s so hard to differentiate these games to me and not think they are all just gacha games with piss easy combat for idiots without any kind of end game or challenge to go up against.

K2D

Banned
sad samurai champloo GIF

Ah.. wrong Mugen.

Aenima

Will be there day 1. Looks amazing. If i stay long or not depends how fair the monetization is for free players. Never played a F2P game from NetEase so no idea how they do things.
I find it funny that they ripped off the traversal from spider man, but its great for fast traversal in urban open world.

Last edited:

Larxia

This looks incredible.
This is exactly the kind of open world I'm looking for. It's so rare to see large and good looking anime open world games, and here it looks amazing, full of life, with complete freedom, I love it.

The problem however is that it's also releasing on Mobile, which means gacha / mobile systems. I would be a lot more excited if this was a regular console / pc game instead.

I used to like Genshin at first, but the whole mobile design ruined it for me. It's not even the Gacha pulls that I hated the most, they were annoying but not what drove me away from genshin. What made me stop Genshin is the whole mobile game design, where you have a limited amount of ressources per day, forcing you to log in every day for your daily grind, the horrible artifacts RNG making it that it can take you MONTHS to get the equipement you want, etc...

I want to be able to play whenever I want, for how long I want. Being forced to log in every evening for 20 minutes ends up being very annoying, every tasks feel like a job rather than playing.

Oh and I also hope this won't have the horrible Genshin dialogues.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
If it’s F2P gacha game then I have zero interest, especially the fact we have Granblue Fantasy Relink coming out that’s going give me proper game without any of F2P gacha crap. Funny thing is Granblue series came from mobile gacha game.

Last edited:

SABRE220

Honestly, I wish atlus etc could poach/clone their artists and source their engine because honestly this is the most impressive and refreshing show of styled graphics so far and theres a big gulf from even ones using UE comparatively.

Unfortunately my interest in this game died with gacha but credit where credit is due.

Last edited:
PlayStation Japan has posted a blog with more details.

Last edited:

CamHostage

Honestly, I wish atlus etc could poach/clone their artists and source their engine because honestly this is the most impressive and refreshing show of styled graphics so far and theres a big gulf from even ones using UE comparatively.

I don't think there's much "engine" to this? (It may even be Unity-based again, like Genshin Impact, in which case, Atlus can just go get Unity as well as whatever plugins ThunderFire/Naked Rain used to make the game.)

Rather, this mostly seems to look good just from a ton of manual work (and possibly a ton of repurposed market asset material,) and flashy effects layering. Tech-wise, there's good but also not-that-special stuff going on here from what I'm seeing. (I actually think it'll not need much customization to run on both high-end console/PC and decent phones, which appears to be the plan as there's nothing said about the mobile release being a bespoke version.) Lighting is not particularly accurate, city models have a lot of replication/procedural generation ads well as simplified structure, the terrain is a flat map, nothing extraordinary is used on pedestrian density or tracking, physics isn't rich or deep... it seems to be a rather regular game underneath all the pizzazz.

But it is very, very sexy pizzazz.

Also, they did a ton of work to make the character models stand out and animate with fine detail for fluidity, plus they placed a lot of little lighting touches anywhere that there is a canned animation cutscenes (visual effects and lighting are much more subdued in the "in-game" sequences, and shadows appear to be animated rather than calculated, also have a strange implementation where shadows just disappear/fizzle out in the middle of some effects.) And they have great color choices throughout, including some choice hews for glow effects of attacks and moves. Much like Genshin Impact, NetEase's developers put in a lot of work and paid a lot of money for resources to make all this look so smooth and attractive.

Last edited:

kiphalfton

Anime looking games always have awful movement/animations. So in real doubt. But then again it looks like they just ripped off Spiderman web traversal, so I guess it's not too far out of the realm of possibility.

Gotta be honest all these anime looking games in the last 5ish years look the same. It all seems like they are made by the Genshin Impact devs.

Genshin
Tower of Fantasy
ZZZ
Mugen
Blue protocol
Star Rail

Am I missing any ? It’s so hard to differentiate these games to me and not think they are all just gacha games with piss easy combat for idiots without any kind of end game or challenge to go up against.
Honestly I don't mind the idea of these games as they're pushing the idea of what a 'mobile game' means into new heights, with bigger budgets. My main issue is with most of these games' storytelling methods and writing. Since they have no choice but to rely on being a live service game, it means that devs will just add a lot of fluff dialogue that has no bearing on anything related to the plot.

For example, a quest that revolves around how much someone likes apples and knowing more about why they like apples so much, is just not compelling stuff. It makes it tough to care about the main plot because by the time you get to a new 'act' within that main plot, you sort of don't care anymore about what's happening as everything else in the game has been urging you closer and closer to that dialogue skip option. Somehow, this kind of meaningless writing snuck into FF 16 and it's a damn shame that it did.

The sad thing is that most gacha fans simply don't care and won't care, as long as the devs don't cover up the women and make sure they're cute, that's all they care about and those fans will eat up anything that's thrown their way. It's like anime fans when they constantly buy yet another 3d arena fighting game starring their favorite new anime characters.

tl;dr I will give this a shot if it has decent enough writing.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Why is so hard these devs to make proper game thats not F2P gacha crap? If Cygames can do it with Granblue then so can they.

Last edited:

CamHostage

Why is so hard these devs to make proper game thats not F2P gacha crap? If Cygames can do it with Granblue then so can they.

Because having an opportunity to make $billions with a product is hard to say no to...

Also, "proper game" as in single-player A-to-Z narrative adventures aren't the business they're in. Cygames has diversified brands with anime, manga, game, and app releases. They would prefer to launch non-stop GAAS/Gacha releases if all of them could be a cash cow, but their strategy is different where they cultivate brands for its various market interests. Netease does what Netease does, and not everybody likes it, but it's proper for their business plan and they're successful at it in an incredibly challenging market.

Last edited:

Elitro

The graphics look great, but the game looks really generic.

This waifu pandering is getting really old. I get it that it's the formula used for the other gachas, but there's nothing wrong for your game to have a personality of its own...

Last edited:
Reactions: Fuz

VN1X

Banned
Starting to lose track which one of these is which to be honest. But saying that, this one does look spectacular. I just wish they'd be more forthcoming with what it actually is? Is it singleplayer only? MMO-lite? F2P? Gacha elements? RPG or more of a Character Action game? So many questions...

Top Bottom