• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Plus might add MediEvil for a third time

Draugoth

Gold Member
medievil.jpg

A new batch of MediEvil trophies has been discovered on the PS Store, suggesting that yet another version of the game is about to hit PS Plus in the near future. This new MediEvil PS1 platinum trophy has revealed an identical trophy list to the PS4 remake of the game, yet the art is undeniably for the PS1 original (which isn't currently available on PS5 or PS4). So, who's ready for more MediEvil? It might not be one of the best PS Plus games, but it's certainly one of the most PS Plus games.

Unlike MediEvil Resurrection, which came to PS Plus Premium in 2023 with its own unique trophy list, this PS1 version of the game carries with it the exact same trophies as 2019's MediEvil PS4 remake — except that this time Sony didn't bother making half of the trophy list hidden.

via TrueTrophies

nial

Gold Member
Now that I remember, it's technically already available on PS4 and PS5 as unlockable content in the 2019 remake.

Last edited:

CamHostage

Man, of all the games for Sony to continuously bring back out of the PS1 era (even of all the games made by Sony Europe,) I can't understand why Medieval keeps getting chances? I'm happy for the fans it still has, but... even you all must be confused by its longevity, right?

The first one was cute as a Tim Burton pastiche, and the lead character is wonderfully conceived (Sir Fortesque was fun to see in PSASB,) so it has that going for it. However, the gameplay was always clumsy (I don't recall how the second game turned out any better?) and I don't think that anybody involved with that series is still at Sony. (RIP Studio Cambridge aka Guerrilla Cambridge.) Yet they kept making it. The PSP game didn't fix the mechanics, the 2019 remake had bafflingly blocky movement and combat too, there was a prototype top-down game that at least made sense perspective-wise for such simple combat systems but then that got canned... It just was never a great game series, even though there was something to love about its surface.

I'm sure this is just a PSN release of the PS1 or PSP games, so it's not really anything to get too up in arms over, but it's just weird that Medieval refuses to be forgotten yet Primal and Ghosthunter or even C12 by the same studio don't get the same chance to escape the vault.

Last edited:

nial

Gold Member
I'm sure this is just a PSN release of the PS1 or PSP games, so it's not really anything to get too up in arms over, but it's just weird that Medieval refuses to be forgotten yet Primal and Ghosthunter or even C12 by the same studio don't get the same chance to escape the vault.
Primal got re-released in 2016 (that version is sadly broken in PS5 IIRC), while Ghosthunter and C12 have 0 nostalgia going for them. Even as far as being classic obscure games, I don't think anyone really cares about them.
But I am with you in that *every* classic first-party game deserves its own chance, even stuff like J&D The Lost Frontier or Jinx.

CamHostage

Primal got re-released in 2016 (that version is sadly broken in PS5 IIRC), while Ghosthunter and C12 have 0 nostalgia going for them. Even as far as being classic obscure games, I don't think anyone really cares about them.
But I am with you in that *every* classic first-party game deserves its own chance, even stuff like J&D The Lost Frontier or Jinx.

Wow, stumping for Jinx... they didn't even bother giving us that game outside of Europe.
If Terracon ever showed up on PSN, I don't know if the surprise or the bliss would kill me first?

(As far as Primal, I though I remembered it being put in the Classics library, but it didn't turn up in their Search; turns out Sony does still sell it. However, going by your experience, it sounds like Sony's emulator wrapper for this PS2 classic is as bad as their search engine. Their BC approach has been a drag, and now even the games they did bring back are slipping again because it's trying to run a PS4 emulator on a PS5 instead of making a proper emulator for each platform and having the game ISOs load as need be on different hardware.)

Last edited:

nial

Gold Member
Wow, stumping for Jinx... they didn't even bother giving us that game outside of Europe.
It was a PS1 platformer in 2003, lol. SCEA wasn't publishing anything other than sports games at that point.
Their BC approach has been a drag, and now even the games they did bring back are slipping again because it's trying to run a PS4 emulator on a PS5 instead of making a proper emulator for each platform and having the game ISOs load as need be on different hardware.
Thankfully it's only a few games, Rogue Galaxy works fine, for example.
I believe that the reason in which their Japanese engineers didn't put much care on these BC games working well on PS5 is because it was a SCEA/SCEE led initiative. If you notice, Japan only got the Jak games (3 and X releasing on the region for the first time, even), Star Ocean 3 and Ace Combat 5, all of which work well on PS5 (they did also get those Star Wars titles, but much later on).

Last edited:

CamHostage

i want midevil 2 that game gets no love.
Apparently there is a bug in Medievil 2 which makes it often have audio glitches and even crashes in common PS1 emulators.

It does seem like something Sony could have solved internally. (Especially seems fixable with Sony's current PS Classics, as PSP and PS3 had native emulation tools in the system while these current classic releases need to wrap emulator applications into each one of the game packages.) But they never did. Medievil 2 was never released as a PS Classic even in the PS3/PSP heyday of classic game releases. It also was unfortunately not included in the 2019 remaster's bonus content where the PS1 original was an unlockable bonus. (Did they really think that a faithful Medievil remake would sell so many copies that they just couldn't possibly toss the sequel into the emulator, just in case they did a remaster of Medievil II too?)

Also, neither the PSP or PS4 remakes/remagining of Medievil touched the Medievil 2 content. The PSP game, I get being just the one game's story, and then the PS4 game could have been a bigger production with both games in one but Sony produced it as a "budget" release for $30 at launch. But still, you'd think a developer on either of these projects would want to get through the original content as fast as possible to get to work with the cool Dan Hand.

MV5BMDdiZmU5NmItMmQ4OS00YzRhLWIzMmMtYjMwMDVjZDQ4YjFmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTk2OTAzNTI@._V1_.jpg

Last edited:

rkofan87

Gold Member
Apparently there is a bug in Medievil 2 which makes it often have audio glitches and even crashes in common PS1 emulators.

It does seem like something Sony could have solved internally. (Especially seems fixable with Sony's current PS Classics, as PSP and PS3 had native emulation tools in the system while these current classic releases need to wrap emulator applications into each one of the game packages.) But they never did. Medievil 2 was never released as a PS Classic even in the PS3/PSP heyday of classic game releases. It also was unfortunately not included in the 2019 remaster's bonus content where the PS1 original was an unlockable bonus. (Did they really think that a faithful Medievil remake would sell so many copies that they just couldn't possibly toss the sequel into the emulator, just in case they did a remaster of Medievil II too?)

Also, neither the PSP or PS4 remakes/remagining of Medievil touched the Medievil 2 content. The PSP game, I get being just the one game's story, and then the PS4 game could have been a bigger production with both games in one but Sony produced it as a "budget" release for $30 at launch. But still, you'd think a developer on either of these projects would want to get through the original content as fast as possible to get to work with the cool Dan Hand.

MV5BMDdiZmU5NmItMmQ4OS00YzRhLWIzMmMtYjMwMDVjZDQ4YjFmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTk2OTAzNTI@._V1_.jpg
thank you for the deep dive makes it even more sad.

xrnzaaas

Um, what would be the point of this? Isn't the remake identical to the original, just with current graphics? (which was also a part of the problem, at least in my case)

Top Bottom