• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New data suggests PlayStation PC trophies are in the works

pspc-trophies.jpg

After dataminers unearthed evidence last year that suggested Marvel's Spider-Man Remastered PC trophies might one day be a reality, we've been keeping our eyes and ears open for any further indication that Sony might be testing PlayStation PC trophies. Now, thanks to new evidence spotted on TrueTrophies' very own scanners, we once more have reason to believe Sony is hard at work bringing trophies to its PS5 games library on PC.

Recently, one of TrueTrophies' scanners — the very scanners that allow us to bring you up to date trophy lists directly from the PlayStation Network — picked up a new PS5 trophy list with an interesting additional platform listed alongside it: "PSPC." The trophy list in question was simply titled "Trophy Set" and wasn't attached to any particular game, appearing to be a test list of some kind.
pspc.jpg

With a little bit of digging, we were able to confirm that the "PSPC" platform listing referred to a new platform separate from the PS5, yet one that might still connect to the PS5 platform. This suggests the new platform could share compatibility with PS5 trophies — perhaps similar to how PS4, PS Vita, and PS3 trophies could all share a unified trophy list despite being available on separate platforms. Given that developers usually can't submit their own platforms to PSN, it would also suggest this list comes via Sony in some capacity.

Between the new platform listing, the compatibility with PS5 trophies, and the abbreviated name of the new platform itself, this data leads us to believe there's a chance that Sony is actively testing trophies for its PlayStation PC games. While we can't confirm that speculation with the data we have alone, it does correlate with the previously datamined PSN compatibility we saw last year, as well as a Sony FAQ that seemed to leave open the possibility of PlayStation PC trophies coming in the future.
With the upcoming Helldivers 2 release date seeing a simultaneous launch for the game across both PS5 and PC, it certainly seems like Sony is pushing harder than ever for a PlayStation presence on PC. By unifying trophy lists and PSN compatibility for games like Helldivers II across both platforms, PlayStation users would ideally be free to earn trophies on whichever platform they preferred.

Banjo64

cumsessed
How would that work, Sony would make their own launcher?

better starting release every exclusive they have then, because im not downloading another one for 6 games.
Could be like the games XGS published on Switch which need an XBL account and have Xbox achievements. E.g. the Steam games are all linked to the PSN profile?

Mr.Phoenix Mr.Phoenix still think I'm wrong here?

I think Sony will start to work their exclusivity deals PC exclusivity to their storefront. I think they'll eventually enable VR support for PC via their storefront. They know that by creating their own storefront on PC they can:

• Avoid paying Steam royalty fees, which would drastically increase their PC game revenues
  • Generate additional royalties from 3rd party supporters
So the questions are why would 3rd parties support PlayStation Store on PC?

Because it could ultimately drive down costs on Steam to have another competitor there. Maybe even drive down royalties on PS5 games if Sony gives publishers deals for games that appear in both stores.

So why would consumers want PlayStation Store on PC?

Trophies, cross game saves, maybe some level of cross library access, more VR support, particularly AAA VR support, and other benefits along with PS+ subscription service, which I think should still include Crunchyroll.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
How would that work, Sony would make their own launcher?

better starting release every exclusive they have then, because im not downloading another one for 6 games.
They could do a Steam integration. Some Xbox games such as Ori and Halo Infinite can be linked with your Xbox Live account and you can get achievements there and on Steam.

Doubt Sony intends on coming out wit their own launcher.

Trilobit

Trophies? More like "atrophies", amirite?
gXyyFEN.png

Never got the point of them and they seem especially silly when they pop up on my console after I did something not challenging at all.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
This makes me so horny. I love using PC to pad out my Xbox gamer score and now using it to pad out my Playstation score just has me so....

giphy.gif

Fabieter

Its for their own store iam shre well i dont think they will drop steam but they probably try to push some people over since there alot of people who care more for trophies than they do for steam achievements like myself.

Fabieter

I think Sony will start to work their exclusivity deals PC exclusivity to their storefront. I think they'll eventually enable VR support for PC via their storefront. They know that by creating their own storefront on PC they can:

• Avoid paying Steam royalty fees, which would drastically increase their PC game revenues

Because it could ultimately drive down costs on Steam to have another competitor there. Maybe even drive down royalties on PS5 games if Sony gives publishers deals for games that appear in both stores.

Trophies, cross game saves, maybe some level of cross library access, more VR support, particularly AAA VR support, and other benefits along with PS+ subscription service, which I think should still include Crunchyroll.

It definitely makes sense for them to so their own launcher. They just have to keep the games coming to steam as well and add benefits for their own launcher.

Banjo64

cumsessed

Sony will try where everyone else has, and in the end they would come to the realisation that everyone else: people won’t move from Steam.

Nearly every other publisher has done their own store front, including giants, and in the end they’ve all realised that Steam is their only option.

Fabieter

I think Sony is gonna go the rockstar route. Their own barebones launcher for their games. Put them their first, collect 100% of FOMOtards money, then dump the games on Steam a few months later.

Ot the cdpr route. Day and date on steam but keys on keysites are exclusive ps store keys.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Sony will try where everyone else has, and in the end they would come to the realisation that everyone else: people won’t move from Steam.

Nearly every other publisher has done their own store front, including giants, and in the end they’ve all realised that Steam is their only option.
Weird. I was playing Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk 2077 on GOG....I think what you mean is that every PC should be available on Steam.

Not saying this is you, but it really bugs me how gamers are completely OK with a Steam monopoly.

This is awesome. I assume it's basically limited to games that are also available on the Windows Store app and have achievements on there?
It's kinda mixed unfortunately. Almost all PC games Microsoft has released since 2019 have achievements on either version. There are some before that which have achievements on the Microsoft PC launcher, but not on Steam. Here's the list of the Steam games that have achievements:

See the problem with this thinking is that Sony isn't just a publisher. They're a platform holder and a successful one at that.

Sony can leverage their console deals to make PC deals, can any other publisher do that? Hell, not even Epic has that kind of leverage.

I love that people have a sense of history and they put it into their analysis, but that analysis still needs to accurate reflect the landscape.

Sony isn't a publisher, it's a platform holder. That's just a key difference.

Sony to Square Enix, we'll pay you X money to release FF16 only on PS5 and not on Xbox, but actually we'll increase that by 1.5x if you also only release it on our PC storefront and NOT steam or maybe 1.2x for exclusivity for the first 6 months.

Publishers going on their own don't have enough leverage to get consumers to move from Steam, but Sony leveraging MULTIPLE publishers and their own games has a much higher chance of success.

It's also really important to define what success looks like too. Success could be 10% of the PC market or 15% of the PC market, which is more than they have today, which is 0%.

GreatnessRD

• Ghost of Tsushima
  • Gran Turismo
  • MLB The Show
And I'll download whatever you want, Sony. I'll even attempt the trophies and buy PS+ for the first time in 5 years. JUST MAKE IT HAPPEN, JIMMMMMMMMMMMMMMAYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!

Braag

Cool, but don't force us to buy your games on your own launcher. Make your games available on all PC storefronts.

• Ghost of Tsushima
  • Gran Turismo
  • MLB The Show
And I'll download whatever you want, Sony. I'll even attempt the trophies and buy PS+ for the first time in 5 years. JUST MAKE IT HAPPEN, JIMMMMMMMMMMMMMMAYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!

I'm going to get a bit tin foil hat here, but I think it is fully possible that Sony recognizes that there are games like MLB, Gran Turismo, Ghost of Tsushima, Demon's Souls, and Bloodborne, that would make A LOT of money on PC and are waiting to release these games exclusively on their own storefront.

That might even be true of Dreams, but I think that is a stretch.

I just think that makes a lot more sense than what we've seen so far which was Sackboy Adventures.

T-Cake

Cool, but don't force us to buy your games on your own launcher. Make your games available on all PC storefronts.

All they need to do is incentivize their own platform - make the games available everywhere (Steam/Epic/GOG) but if you buy from the theoretical Windows PlayStation Store, you get cross-buy purchase with the PS4/PS5, cross-platform saves and trophies.

Last edited:

GreatnessRD

I'm going to get a bit tin foil hat here, but I think it is fully possible that Sony recognizes that there are games like MLB, Gran Turismo, Ghost of Tsushima, Demon's Souls, and Bloodborne, that would make A LOT of money on PC and are waiting to release these games exclusively on their own storefront.

That might even be true of Dreams, but I think that is a stretch.

I just think that makes a lot more sense than what we've seen so far which was Sackboy Adventures.
I hope you're right, homie. I'm paying whatever and throwing all my morals out of the window to see The Show and GT in all its glory on the Master Race, lmao.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
It's kinda mixed unfortunately. Almost all PC games Microsoft has released since 2019 have achievements on either version. There are some before that which have achievements on the Microsoft PC launcher, but not on Steam. Here's the list of the Steam games that have achievements:
small-petite.gif

:messenger_beaming: Yep! Relatively new feature. Definitely not world-changing but I'm glad they've done it because I feel like they've stop trying to push the shitty Windows store version down our throats and embraced Steam, which is better for everyone.

Edit: Actually that list is missing everything that launched this year?!?!? Not sure what is up with that. I know for a fact the new Forza Motorsports has achievements that work on both?

Last edited:

Famipan

I really hope it’s only Steam and EGS integration, because I plan on jump ship from PS5 to Steam and the advanced DS4 settings available in Steam would probably not be available in Sony’s client. Also, separate clients sucks. And Steam Deck support would be unsure.

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

All sounds plausible. I still doubt it though, especially being that we have seen how the PC space responded to the Epic store. The one draw that a PSPC store could have though is cross-platform purchases. Buy on one platform have the game on both....etc.

I just feel that Sony would know it's a really tough nut to crack... PC gamers don't play with their Steam libraries or anything they deem or see as a threat to Steam. In a manner of speaking, Sony making their own PC store could do more harm than good.

If anything, I am more inclined to feel that Sony just does some sort of partnership with Epic. Those two are already like white on rice anyway.

All sounds plausible. I still doubt it though, especially being that we have seen how the PC space responded to the Epic store. The one draw that a PSPC store could have though is cross-platform purchases. Buy on one platform have the game on both....etc.

I just feel that Sony would know it's a really tough nut to crack... PC gamers don't play with their Steam libraries or anything they deem or see as a threat to Steam. In a manner of speaking, Sony making their own PC store could do more harm than good.

If anything, I am more inclined to feel that Sony just does some sort of partnership with Epic. Those two are already like white on rice anyway.

Epic really never had much of a draw to it.

It's like saying we see what happened with Panasonic and the 3DO so Sony shouldn't get involved in consoles.

Epic doesn't have the game catalog that Sony has, nor do they have the software studios, nor do they have the platform leverage from PS5.

There are plenty of reasons why Epic would fail and why Sony would be successful. Not to mention the EGS only launched in 2018. It's barely older than the PS5.

I actually doubt they would go with cross-platform purchases, at least not as a standard, and at least not for the base price. I think cross-save is a different story and synced trophies.

Sony wouldn't know it's a really tough nut to crack? Look at the PSP and the success it had more so than any other non-Nintendo handheld. To pretend that Sony hasn't seen the ups and downs of the industry and understands the barriers, I feel like is misplaced. Same with Sony getting involved in VR.

You're not wrong with Epic's close relationship with Sony, but I think that gets complicated with Tencent. I could see maybe Sony buying the EGS to fast-track into PC rather than building from scratch, but I don't really see a partnership.

I also think PS+ would be a massive gateway into PC, again especially if it offered Crunchyroll access.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
I just feel that Sony would know it's a really tough nut to crack... PC gamers don't play with their Steam libraries or anything they deem or see as a threat to Steam. In a manner of speaking,
Not really. Every PC storefront is just gutter trash. The Xbox app is slow and lacks features. Same for the Ubisoft app or Battle.net. Epic is also trash with almost nothing but a storefront and took years to introduce achievements. Most don't tolerate other storefronts because 1. No one wants to make yet another account, and 2. We all know the store will be ass because it took Steam almost two decades to get to the point where they're at. Unless someone releases a competent store out of the gate with forums, ratings, publisher pages, reviews, content creation, and all the rest, they'll be unfavorably compared to Steam. Most players don't come to the PC space in the hopes of besting Steam, they just get in because they don't want to give Steam their cut but don't bother giving users a reason to use their platform instead. If Sony gets in, it would be strictly to sell Playstation Studios games and I don't wanna download yet another launcher for a handful of games. Enough with Rockstar, Ubisoft, Steam, GOG, Xbox, EA Play, Epic, and Battle.net.

Last edited:
Top Bottom