• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS VR2 will start shipping in Q2 2022 according to analyst Ming-Chi Kuo

Notabueno

Banned
I don't think it means it will be available to buy in Q2 of 2022. If Sony isn't using air shipping it could be quite a while before they arrive.
Shipping pretty much means it'll be sold by retailers soon after. And the infos point to late summer/early autumn shipping for ~october retailing.

Announced just a month after I caved and bought the Oculus Quest 2, lol.

Day one for me, though. People make a big deal out of being tethered and I don't get it. While I like the Quest, I have it plugged in and charging all of the time anyway. I'd rather get that massive performance boost than be totally wireless.
You should've waited for Oculas Quest 3 that's expected to be released in 2022, unless unexpected delay to 2023.

I was in for playstationVR2 since the first one came out.

The second I saw more than one wire and no USB-C, I was out for the first one.

TrebleShot

Skipped out on PSVR the first time round but have to say I am very interested in the 2nd iteration. If it’s out soon I will snap it up, I was eyeing a quest 2 earlier but after hearing this Is coming so soon hype levels are increasing.

TrebleShot

As a side note I assumed the PS5 had Wi-Fi 6 for wireless VR I wonder why they didn’t go for it.
Should be a premium model for a couple hundred more with wireless.

dorkimoe

Gold Member
So i know nothing about VR, but why do they need another one? What would you get on VR2 that you cant on VR1? Same games work? Is this something else you going to have to fork out 500 bucks every other year for a new one? Can it be used on PC?

Last edited:

ZehDon

So i know nothing about VR, but why do they need another one? What would you get on VR2 that you cant on VR1? Same games work? Is this something else you going to have to fork out 500 bucks every other year for a new one? Can it be used on PC?
VR is quite young, so there will be rapid advancements that require new hardware. Typically, newer VR headsets include better tracking, display, and interactivity. At this early in the life span of VR, the difference between V1 of a headset, and V2, is usually pretty large.

In PSVR2, the games will appear roughly 4 times as clear as the original PSVR. For VR, that's a monstrous jump in quality. The tracking for PSVR2 doesn't require a camera, whereas PSVR does. Because of this, PSVR2 supports 360 degrees of movement and interaction, while PSVR didn't. PSVR was, essentially, a 180 degree device; you could only interact where the camera could see, so things like turning around, moving too close, or moving too far away, broke tracking. PSVR2 won't have any of those issues. I believe all PSVR titles will be backwards compatible with PSVR2, but PSVR2 titles won't work with PSVR, because they'll be exclusive to the PS5. We have no news on PC support, but PSVR was never officially supported on PC, so I suspect PSVR2 won't be either. Modders may get it working, however.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Announced just a month after I caved and bought the Oculus Quest 2, lol.

Day one for me, though. People make a big deal out of being tethered and I don't get it. While I like the Quest, I have it plugged in and charging all of the time anyway. I'd rather get that massive performance boost than be totally wireless.

But.. you can connect your quest 2 to a more powerful pc. Wirelessly or wired.

onQ123

Too soon unless it will be used for more than games because no way they will have enough games by then.

NickFire

Never picked up psvr1 since I was in college when it came out. Hopefully these aren't hard to come by
Since it’s PS5 only I think there will be good chance they will be able to keep up with demand at least outside of holidays. Peripherals usually are easier to get quickly if not immediately. Granted this is more than just an out of stock media remote or controller.

KAL2006

Banned
My prediction

VR focused State of Play in March 2nd just before Gran Turismo 7 release with a reveal Gran Turismo 7 will have a VR update coming

Release Date - September

That gives a 6 month marketing cycle which is perfectly fine.

Would be strange to release a VR product in the middle of summer that's why I think September as summer finishes.

SilentUser

Hopefully the rumour is correct, Q2 would be great and a new event right around the corner is very welcomed. So stoked!

yurinka

I think he means that this factory will start producing and shipping Sony the lenses during Q2 2022. Not that they will start shipping PSVR 2 to store during Q2 2022.

Because if Sony knew PSVR2 release is this Q2, they would have mentioned at least the release date and shown the device at CES. Or at least would have mentioned that it's coming this year. I think they need at least half a year to market the device and its first few years.

But yeah, I'd love to see it released this spring.

Last edited:
Top Bottom