• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS2 on PS4 - how can Sony save this

Toki767

Posted this in another thread, but figured it was worth reiterating here.

Note that I have never released a PS2 Classic on PS4, but here is how I understand the process works:

1. Sony does the port, testing and QA
2. Proceeds from the game's sales all go to Sony until it recoups Sony's costs
3. After that it follows the standard 70/30 split all PSN sales do​

I would argue that it would be impossible to make it any easier than this for the publishers involved, since it actually costs them nothing up front and has zero risk.

The system was designed to get as many out as possible, but publishers aren't taking them up on it.

I suspect it's because most of the PS2 games people care about are Japanese, and Japanese publishers would rather try for a rerelease themselves, or want to charge an unrealistically high price.

This is pretty informative if that's how it works.

But yeah, I had always just assumed most Japanese publishers have no interest in it as a lot of them (Square Enix in particular) prefer doing remakes and re-releases to begin with.

Fisty

That's no excuse for the current lack of games. I don't think anyone is asking for 200 games but geez, it's embarrassing to look to the list.

I mean, not being legally allowed to release the games on PS4 would be a pretty good reason I think. The first party games will most likely fill the gaps to keep the releases coming at a steady pace. I really don't know what you expect from Sony here.

Note that I have never released a PS2 Classic on PS4, but here is how I understand the process works:

I would argue that it would be impossible to make it any easier than this for the publishers involved, since it actually costs them nothing up front and has zero risk.

The system was designed to get as many out as possible, but publishers aren't taking them up on it.

I suspect it's because most of the PS2 games people care about are Japanese, and Japanese publishers would rather try for a rerelease themselves, or want to charge an unrealistically high price.

Thank you for this. Sony is literally doing all the work at zero cost to the pub.

Wouldn't it be cool along with a revamp pricing change that they had physical releases as well? It may have to be trilogy games for fifteen or twenty since I believe digital games really need to be five dollars

If they were able to actually produce physical at five dollars that would probably sell very well. I'd buy both for sure but ten dollars physical releases and five digital may not be a bad idea. Would be pretty neat

Ravidrath

This is pretty informative if that's how it works.

But yeah, I had always just assumed most Japanese publishers have no interest in it as a lot of them (Square Enix in particular) prefer doing remakes and re-releases to begin with.

I think it's also entirely possible that publishers just don't know about how it works because of a lack of outreach on Sony's part.

Like, I quickly looked at Sony's dev support sites and couldn't find anything about it at all.

Toki767

I think it's also entirely possible that publishers just don't know about how it works because of a lack of outreach on Sony's part.

Like, I'm quickly looked at Sony's dev support sites and couldn't find anything about it at all.

Would this be something that would be on a dev support site? I feel like this is more along the lines of Sony probably contacting publishers directly asking them if they were interested.

Dad

Thanks for this clarification

Fisty

Like, I'm looking through Sony's dev support sites and I can't find anything about it at all.

I spoke with Shane Bettenhausen at PSX and he mentioned that sometimes the hardest part of getting these releases out is actually convincing some of the rights-holders that what they have is worth money and is worth the hassle of actually signing the contracts lol

Also, I don't think there would really be too much info on the dev support site if they do all the work in-house right?

Ravidrath

Would this be something that would be on a dev support site? I feel like this is more along the lines of Sony probably contacting publishers directly asking them if they were interested.

Even in that case, materials on the procedures, how to package up the ROM, trophy stuff, metadata, etc. should still be on the dev support sites.

I spoke with Shane Bettenhausen at PSX and he mentioned that sometimes the hardest part of getting these releases out is actually convincing some of the rights-holders that what they have is worth money and is worth the hassle of actually signing the contracts lol

Yeah, I mean, even in that case... I don't get it if there is literally no risk for them. And Japanese publishers tend to want to do a lot of stuff just to help their relationship with Sony, too.

Getting anything done in Japan is a colossal pain, though, especially when legal documents are involved.

ethomaz

Banned

That is how I always imagined.

I do believe the team is really small too.

aadiboy

Wouldn't it be cool along with a revamp pricing change that they had physical releases as well? It may have to be trilogy games for fifteen or twenty since I believe digital games really need to be five dollars

If they were able to actually produce physical at five dollars that would probably sell very well. I'd buy both for sure but ten dollars physical releases and five digital may not be a bad idea. Would be pretty neat
That's what they did last gen. Do you really want devs to keep on rereleasing PS2 HD collections till the end of time? Also no way they would sell HD collections for $10...are you crazy?

Agent X

There's got to be something missing. While there's zero risk for the publisher, there's also zero opportunity for profit until Sony recoups their costs (including the investment to "add trophies" and all that).

Does Sony give the publisher an initial payment to license the rights to make the "PS2 classic for PS4" possible?

In any case, there must be some reason why companies like Activision, Electronic Arts, and Ubisoft have been avoiding PS2 classics on PS4 like the plague. All three of these big-league publishers couldn't even muster enough effort to churn out a single game. Contrast this to their enthusiastic attitude toward Xbox 360 classics on Xbox One, with multiple releases under their collective belts. Microsoft must be doing something to entice these publishers that Sony hasn't done so far. Sony really needs to sort this out.

Toki767

Even in that case, materials on the procedures, how to package up the ROM, trophy stuff, metadata, etc. should still be on the dev support sites.

Yeah, I mean, even in that case... I don't get it if there is literally no risk for them. And Japanese publishers tend to want to do a lot of stuff just to help their relationship with Sony, too.

Getting anything done in Japan is a colossal pain, though, especially when legal documents are involved.

I'm sure Square Enix is probably paying close attention to Star Ocean 3 sales to see if it'll be worth putting more games on.

Fisty

There's got to be something missing. While there's zero risk for the publisher, there's also zero opportunity for profit until Sony recoups their costs (including the investment to "add trophies" and all that).

Does Sony give the publisher an initial payment to license the rights to make the "PS2 classic for PS4" possible?

In any case, there must be some reason why companies like Activision, Electronic Arts, and Ubisoft have been avoiding PS2 classics on PS4 like the plague. All three of these big-league publishers couldn't even muster enough effort to churn out a single game. Contrast this to their enthusiastic attitude toward Xbox 360 classics on Xbox One, with multiple releases under their collective belts. Microsoft must be doing something to entice these publishers that Sony hasn't done so far. Sony really needs to sort this out.

Rockstar has released like 7 games with the service. Looks like Square is gearing up to test the waters (since they've mainly gone the remaster route, previously). THQ Nordic has been getting their stuff up too. There have been a few randoms like Indigo Prophecy and Psychonauts pop up.

Like I said before, this isn't the route every company wants to take, and lots of the bigger folks like EA and Acti would probably rather rerelease on their own terms, if at all. Not to mention that most of those Xbox 360 titles that are getting brought to XB1 have DLC to sell you as well.

border

How does this compare to backwards compatibility on Xbox One? They seem to have pretty massive support.

GLAMr

There are hundreds, if not thousands, of PS1/2 games where the source code & assets are completely lost. It would be a nightmare job to have to analyze the memory contents of games running within the emulator to identify patterns or flags which can be tied to a trophy being awarded. Then there's the mountain of testing to ensure consistency and rule out any scenarios where the trophy can be falsely triggered.

Drop the useless trophy nonsense, bite the bullet, and release everything that's already on the PS3 store that they have the license to on PS4. Same with PS1 games. I would have thought this was a non brainer but here we are years into the system's lifespan with NO PS1 game's, barely any PS2 games, and a chunk of those are severely overpriced *coughROCKSTARcough*

Brofield

Scrap the goddamn trophies and do whatever it takes to make TimeSplitters happen.

Worry about trophy support once enough people buy the game and ask for it to be patched in.

Joni

How it is more profitable without trophies when the lack of this feature will make the game sell less???

Trophies add sales no matter what dumb comment somebody in this thread said.

There are 41 games on EU stores... that means 2.5 games per month... how do you guys get one game per month is crazy because just in March EU received 3 games.

I'm talking about PS2 on PS3. We should have seen more massive support for it if Trophies are such a huge problem for PS2 on PS4.

How does this compare to backwards compatibility on Xbox One? They seem to have pretty massive support.

It doesn't compare because it is a different generation, one made with digital distribution in mind which means there is less of a rights issue, where companies cared more about archiving their work and the Xbox One has an almost perfect Xbox 360 emulator.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Agent X said:
Apparently Sony has not learned this lesson, as it is an ongoing problem for them to this very day.
It's an interesting question - we also saw PSP/PS1->Vita where a bunch titles didn't transfer, which can only be licensing related (as evidenced by that one time where "all" downloads worked on Vita for a few days due to a PSN bug).
On the flipside PS3&PS4->PSNow was mostly completely seamless, highlighting that from PS3 onwards, they do have different deals in place. Maybe lawyer gaf can offer some insight here - but we can only speculate that renegotiating PS1/PS2 titles is still tied to hardware rather than platform/store-front, and perhaps there's just no way for them to get a workable/timely deal for the platform?

ethomaz

Banned
How to you compare 360 to XB1 vs PS2 to PS4? I guess there is no comparison because MS is not trying to do Xbox to XB1 or Sony PS3 to PS4.

I don't understand how some guys try to direct compare it like they are doing the same work.

redlemon

Thanks for sharing that. It's a shame they can't get more on board in that case.

Agent X

How to you compare 360 to XB1 vs PS2 to PS4? I guess there is no comparison because MS is not trying to do Xbox to XB1 or Sony PS3 to PS4.

We're talking generally about the concept of "older games on newer systems". We're not looking specifically at the "generation" difference here.

The funny thing is that before all of this transpired over the last two years, the expectation would've been that "PS2 games on PS4" would have been easier to achieve compared to "Xbox 360 games on Xbox One".

Based on the events prior to 2015, you'd also have expected that Sony would have delivered a lot more PS2 games on PS4, than Microsoft would do for Xbox 360 games on Xbox One. Yet, here in the real world in the year 2017, exactly the opposite has occurred. Why is this?

I don't understand how some guys try to direct compare it like they are doing the same work.

They're not exactly the same, but there are a lot of similarities. Obviously, there are also some differences, as we can see by the end results on both systems.

We can see from this thread here (and many others in the past) what the general consumer reaction is to both Sony's and Microsoft's strategies. It would be highly interesting to find out how developers and publishers feel. While enthusiasm as an emotion cannot be tangibly measured, the number of game releases and the revenue they're pulling in are measurable.

Allow discs, but don't support Trophies off disc - just let us play the damn game.

Keep digital "PS2 on PS4" support going - and do digital releases of popular games or games with limited supply or that are physically expensive and continue to add trophy support to digital games.

Joni

Anyone remember the reactions when Sony released a PlayStation Plus PS3 game without Trophies? They had to come out and promise they wouldn't do that anymore.

We're talking generally about the concept of "older games on newer systems". We're not looking specifically at the "generation" difference here.

There are however some important differences, as Microsoft is basically pulling games over that meet almost all standards expected from the Xbox One, like Achievements, licensed for digital distribution, ... The world was quite different in the PS2 - Xbox era.

poodaddy

Wow that's actually a pretty great system. I was suuuper wrong about how it worked. So trophies aren't the problem then if Sony handles that, but does that mean Sony is choosing the price point as well? Cause those prices are.....well it's been covered.

I wonder if Sony is actively trying to reach out to pubs at all to get games on the service. I mean if there's no risk involved then I find it difficult to believe that more of the penny pinching giants like Konami, EA, Ubisoft, and Square Enix aren't willing to jump on it, particularly for games that they have no intention of remastering.

There may be a lot of people complaining now about trophies and price hiking but there would be more issues with no trophies of imagine.

The real issue is trophy implementation costing too much to do. They need a good tool set that makes it more effortless or something

ethomaz

Banned

The funny thing is that before all of this transpired over the last two years, the expectation would've been that "PS2 games on PS4" would have been easier to achieve compared to "Xbox 360 games on Xbox One".

Based on the events prior to 2015, you'd also have expected that Sony would have delivered a lot more PS2 games on PS4, than Microsoft would do for Xbox 360 games on Xbox One. Yet, here in the real world in the year 2017, exactly the opposite has occurred. Why is this?

They're not exactly the same, but there are a lot of similarities. Obviously, there are also some differences, as we can see by the end results on both systems.

We can see from this thread here (and many others in the past) what the general consumer reaction is to both Sony's and Microsoft's strategies. It would be highly interesting to find out how developers and publishers feel. While enthusiasm as an emotion cannot be tangibly measured, the number of game releases and the revenue they're pulling in are measurable.
How do expect HD games run easy in a HD console than SD games run on HD consoles.

Of course it is easy to put a PS3 game on PS4 than a PS2 game... you have more work on the PS2 game than you have on a PS3 game.

MS get the 360 game, create a profile to run on XB1 and do quality assurance to release it.

Sony needs to rework the game output (fix aspect ratio and issues with increased resolution), change some games mechanics to fit PS4, add new features, and do quality assurance to release it.

Caayn

How do expect HD games run easy in a HD console than SD games run on HD consoles.

Of course it is easy to put a PS3 game on PS4 than a PS2 game... you have more work on the PS2 game than you have on a PS3 game.

MS get the 360 game, create a profile to run on XB1 and do quality assurance to release it.

Sony needs to rework the game output (fix aspect ratio and issues with increased resolution), change some games mechanics to fit PS4, add new features, and do quality assurance to release it.
This is a strange spin to give the situation.

How do trophies fit in this process? As we've seen stated before in this thread it takes quite a lot of time to implement trophies in older games.

As trophies are part of the design process I doubt that Sony does that and that works comes down to the developer.
I'd guess that not having any revenue from it, till Sony has recouped their cost, would be a big con as well.

ethomaz

Banned
This is a strange spin to give the situation.
Nahhh way different systems with different workarround to get release... expect comparable results are weird.

Said that I believe Sony slow pace on releases are due small team + licensing negotiations.

Edit - In a business perspective I don't believe launching a lot of games at the same time is good... it is probably reach a frequency of one game per week release... about 50 games per year.

modsbox

100% agree on drop the trophy requirement, make them cross buy (or at least cross buy moving forward).

As much as not having PS2 bothers me, I think not having PS1 support infuriates me even more.

For $50 I can buy a PSTV that can play PS Vita, PSP and PS1 games.

Yet my $400 PS4 Pro can do none of those things? Completely ridiculous.

It's probably the trophies that throw a big wrench into it. Scrap those and more will come as a Rez bump is faaaaar an easier task then trophies.

ethomaz

Banned
It's probably the trophies that throw a big wrench into it. Scrap those and more will come as a Rez bump is faaaaar an easier task then trophies.
Less sales will come too...

Trophies is a required feature because one good part of the gamers wish that to replay old games.

You have no ideia how Sony will get trashed if the launch something without trophies to PS4.

Mihos

Gold Member
It's not about saving or whatever. Just give us games to buy. Games that people actually want to buy. Stuff like Ico/SOTC, SIlent Hill 2/3, MGS2/3, Okami, etc.

No one cares about trophies.

--- actually, I care about trophies. But I also have all the original games and systems hooked up, so no reason for me to buy it without something added.

Hugstable

Banned
Less sales will come too...

Trophies is a required feature because one good part of the gamers wish that to replay old games.

You have no ideia how Sony will get trashed if the launch something without trophies to PS4.

I'd think them being able to just release a whole bunch of game would be much better than what we got right now, especially in terms of sales. Games prob sell the same with trophies, if not less due to some games even being more than 10$ due to them. Trophies have slowed the releases to a crawl as they have to play and test whole parts of the game just to figure out what trophies to add. Trophies are ruining any chance for PS2 on PS4, and if they ever bring PS1 games to PS4 and require trophies, it will ruin any chances those have too.

HeeHo

Trophy support is a huge plus to me. I don't think I would've bought the only game I own through PS2 to PS4 without it.

It might sound superficial or shallow, but when I play a game for 80 hours, I'd like to have it on my profile somewhere stating that I at least beat the game. I can live without trophies but I vastly prefer to have some sort of tracking or digital proof (like trophies) of how far I've gotten in a game besides a save file.

Edit: I know it slows things down quite a bit but I don't think I would want to play the older games as much without them. There needs to be an easier implementation but perhaps that isn't possible?

Ravidrath

For Xbox One, you just tell MS you want your old game to work on it, and they twiddle some knobs behind the scenes eventually and it works.

No actual porting seems to happen, since it seems to be mostly a DirectX emulation sandboxing kinda thing?

That's pretty much how it worked for Skullgirls, as far as I can tell.

Allow discs, but don't support Trophies off disc - just let us play the damn game.

From what I understand, "allowing discs" isn't really possible.

While they have an emulator, I'm pretty sure it's not universal - each ROM has to be wrapped with the emulator and then specifically tuned for each game and tested.

As trophies are part of the design process I doubt that Sony does that and that works comes down to the developer.

I'd guess that not having any revenue from it, till Sony has recouped their cost, would be a big con as well.

Not sure how that works, exactly. Not sure if the port team or the original devs come up with the trophy list, or how that works.

I'd imagine the publisher probably comes up with an initial idea, and the port team makes a feasibility check and there's some back and forth?

i.e. Complicated "stunt" trophies, like doing X thing in Y time, are probably a lot harder to implement than simple flag checks, since those likely require them to layer in new logic.

And if risk-free with a slight delay in revenue is seen as a bad thing, then... well, I don't know what they're doing in this business. Because there is really nothing more appealing than no risk.

androvsky

From what I understand, "allowing discs" isn't really possible.

While they have an emulator, I'm pretty sure it's not universal - each ROM has to be wrapped with the emulator and then specifically tuned for each game and tested.

I've heard that before, but I've been unable to separate it from the requirement that the games have trophy triggers that need to be coded for each game. What the situation looks like absent trophies is unknown. Some of the games also appear to have some iso hacks which Sony used to not allow, like removing licensed music from GTA or enabling widescreen. The complete lack of PS1 games suggests they're just not interested in supporting discs at all.

If there was PS1 disc support I'd be more willing to believe Sony was working on something. Maybe if Sony ever said anything at any time about BC other than they feel trophies and HD makes it so they feel they should charge money again, it would help.

Thanks, it's good to know that at least the process itself was set up in a way that should have gotten out a lot more than has happened so far. It'd be nice if they could get more titles up.
The graphical enhancements are pretty nice.

Yeah, this is a good side point, for PS2 a lot of the games people really want are the Japanese ones and a lot of those publishers (like S-E) like doing re-releases and their own remaster releases or leaving the possibility more open even if they have no immediate intent to do so.

More titles and a slight price drop (or discount if you own the classic version on PSN) would help too.

Releasing them at a decent price would help, for a start. As would providing a discount for those of us who already had said games on the PS3. If freaking Nintendo can do that for their legacy releases on newer hardware, then Sony can, no excuses.

Fezan

This makes much more sense but why is Sony not releasing Sony published games. No GOW no team ico no GT etc

PixlNinja

Banned
The only way Sony will ever get me to buy something digitally from them again is if they enable PS1/2 Classics on PS4. I spent way too much back on the PS3 to ever let them get another dollar out of me but not let my library migrate from console to console.

Its the single biggest reason I'm considering ditching my PS4 for a Scorpio later this year. Sony gets some success and then they just stop giving a damn and don't do anything pro-consumer for the people that made it happen for them.

Caayn

And if risk-free with a slight delay in revenue is seen as a bad thing, then... well, I don't know what they're doing in this business. Because there is really nothing more appealing than no risk.
Yeah that part might have been a bit thoughtless from me.

sangreal

Seems rather easy to make it more appealing than that to me. Don't require any changes and they get your risk-free release while keeping the revenue lost in your scheme. QA would still be required, but that should be on Sony anyway, as I believe it is on MS for their BC.

I'm not saying this would be a good or workable idea -- just that its far from 'impossible' to come up with a better scheme for Publishers

Top Bottom