• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 E3 Tech Demos Were Running on Hardware That is NOT RSX; just 2 pc nvidia gpu's

Mrbob

X360 games were running on *one* X800 card.

I.E. both consoles will be much more powerful in their final form. :D

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
We kinda knew this. There is no RSX silicon yet. The kits are rumoured to be 6800 Ultras in SLI. Heck, X360 which is 6 months closer to launch has only just about got its gpu silicon, so it's not at all surprising to see there is none yet for PS3. They're talking about wrapping up work on it in a few months (i think around october).

How is this news? RSX won't start fabrication until the end of this year and this has been known for a long time now.

As far as what the demos were running on: anything from 6800 Ultra to early G70 revs.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Wait, I thought this was more interesting:

Burkett says the RSX demonstrations weren't actually running on the RSX, but an upcoming NVIDIA high-end desktop product in SLI mode. NVIDIA was not more specific about what type of hardware this entailed.

Two G70s in SLI? RSX can hardly be more powerful than that?

Maybe 1up picked it up wrong - it was rumoured before that it's two 6800 Ultras in SLI, and NVidia did talk about RSX being more powerful than 2 6800 Ultras, so..

J2 Cool

I really am annoyed knowing that none of this is the actual next gen hardware. Because, I mean, it's great stuff some of it, but we're slowly transitioning. In a way I wish they'd keep their hardware hidden until they have everything done, and then BOOM. Just floor us with the graphics. Of course then, you get Nintendo like backlash so you can't really do that. Still, they need to let us know with each new next gen preview or game, what dev kit it's running on and the specs they're using for this build. I need constant info on this, but websites and mainstream mags are only telling us the system it's for. Like next gen's still behind close curtains. I mean, I'm excited for next gen, and oddly enough it's still not been previewed yet. Even games like Gears of War are still not next gen. It's killing me. Bah.

J2 Cool said:
I really am annoyed knowing that none of this is the actual next gen hardware. Because, I mean, it's great stuff some of it, but we're slowly transitioning. In a way I wish they'd keep their hardware hidden until they have everything done, and then BOOM. Just floor us with the graphics. Of course then, you get Nintendo like backlash so you can't really do that. Still, they need to let us know with each new next gen preview or game, what dev kit it's running on and the specs they're using for this build. I mean, I'm excited for next gen, and oddly enough it's still not been previewed yet. Even games like Gears of War are still not next gen. It's killing me.

Just never you mind and go play some ps2 or xbox or psp or ds...TGS should be fun.

Elios83

gofreak said:
Wait, I thought this was more interesting:

Two G70s in SLI? RSX can hardly be more powerful than that?

Maybe 1up picked it up wrong - it was rumoured before that it's two 6800 Ultras in SLI, and NVidia did talk about RSX being more powerful than 2 6800 Ultras, so..

They could use two G70 SLI clocked properly to simulate RSX performance.The feature set should be near the same.I think 2 G70 in SLI will be used in the beta devkit as two Geforce 6800 were used in the alpha kit.

J2 Cool

tsp_gatmog said:
Just never you mind and go play some ps2 or xbox or psp or ds...TGS should be fun.

Yeah, but it's hard when you go to ign.com and you get "PS3 UNVEILED!! 1". So we have a conceptual controller, a conceptual shell for the system, and multiple cards playing some demos that add up to something that looks good. We'll call it PS3. Grrr.

J2 Cool said:
Yeah, but it's hard when you go to ign.com and you get "PS3 UNVEILED!! 1". So we have a conceptual controller, a conceptual shell for the system, and multiple cards playing some demos that add up to something that looks good. We'll call it PS3. Grrr.

si.

dorio

Banned
Marconelly said:
1up picked it wrong. The actual quote wa "running on upcoming NVIDIA high-end desktop product, and SLI-ed 6800s"
What does that mean, it's running on 3 chips?

dorio

Banned
midnightguy said:
this is pretty well understood.

PS3 demos used either:

1. 2 GeForce 6800U in SLI
2. 1 GeForce 7800 Gtx (G70)
Ahh, so that meant

"running on upcoming NVIDIA high-end desktop product, OR SLI-ed 6800s"

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
What does that mean, it's running on 3 chips?
Should have said 'or' instead of 'and'. Sorry. I can't remember the exact quote, but that Nvidia guy said some demos were running under 2 SLI-ed 6800 and some were running under their upcoming hardware (probably talking about G70)

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Go Go Ackman! said:
were the gas station explosion and leaf demos running on an actual cell chip?

Yes, AFAIK all ps3 dev kits have a cell chip in them - some may have more final chips than others though.

gofreak said:
Yes, AFAIK all ps3 dev kits have a cell chip in them - some may have more final chips than others though.

Amazingly, the alpha dev kits have no less than 8 separate fans inside them. Keeping the system cool during daily use is apparently a major issue. Makes one wonder exactly what will be used to keep the final consumer hardware from overheating. The convex shape makes sense to avoid stacking.

MassiveAttack said:
Amazingly, the alpha dev kits have no less than 8 separate fans inside them. Keeping the system cool during daily use is apparently a major issue. Makes one wonder exactly what will be used to keep the final consumer hardware from overheating.

Knowing nvidia, probably a leafblower.

Hajaz

"Burkett says the RSX demonstrations weren't actually running on the RSX, but an upcoming NVIDIA high-end desktop product in SLI mode. NVIDIA was not more specific about what type of hardware this entailed."

upcomiong card, in sli.
that certainly implies g70 in sli, witch means the demo's were running on a gpu setup that is actually more powerfull then the final hardware will be. Afterall, Nvidea stated that by the time ps3 releases, it will have a more powerfull desktop card out.
by ps3 release the most powerfull nv card will still be g70

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Hajaz said:
upcomiong card, in sli.
that certainly implies g70 in sli, witch means the demo's were running on a gpu setup that is actually more powerfull then the final hardware will be. Afterall, Nvidea stated that by the time ps3 releases, it will have a more powerfull desktop card out.

We've already had people here who heard the Burkett themselves confirming 1up picked it up wrong - the ps3 kits either have 2 6800 ultras in SLI or one G70.

Hajaz said:
"Burkett says the RSX demonstrations weren't actually running on the RSX, but an upcoming NVIDIA high-end desktop product in SLI mode. NVIDIA was not more specific about what type of hardware this entailed."

upcomiong card, in sli.

And you know how powerful the final hardware will be? Please, guide us, master of illusion.

Hajaz

if Nvidea stated that they will have a more powerfull desktop part at ps3 launch, i'd expect them to know what theyre saying.

dorio

Banned
gofreak said:
We've already had people here who heard the Burkett themselves confirming 1up picked it up wrong - the ps3 kits either have 2 6800 ultras in SLI or one G70.
So the ps3 dev kits are alot closer to final then the xbox ones. MS should have done a better job of getting closer devkits than they have done.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2005/05/25/rsx_still_in_development/

Burkett discussed how NVIDIA and Sony had used an upcoming product with many similar capabilities to the RSX to demonstrate the capabilities of the Playstation 3 GPU. The demos at the show were running on NVIDIA's upcoming high-end desktop part, and also SLI systems. It is unclear whether these were based on the new desktop part that we've referred to as G70 in the past, or whether they were GeForce 6800 Ultra SLI combinations
RSX should be quite a bit more capable than G70, btw. 90nm, Higher clock, 128bit HDR and frame blending are just some things I could figure out.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
So they are saying that they know its SLI but they don't know which nvidia chip it was.
2 SLI 6800 is in the PS3 alpha dev kits. From that quote it seems to me he's talking about two different demo machines. One with the new part, and one with SLI chips (which is in all likelyhood alpha devkit with 6800s). I wouldn't mind if RSX's power is actually representative of two SLI-ed G70s, though.

Raistlin

I really am annoyed knowing that none of this is the actual next gen hardware. Because, I mean, it's great stuff some of it, but we're slowly transitioning. In a way I wish they'd keep their hardware hidden until they have everything done, and then BOOM. Just floor us with the graphics. Of course then, you get Nintendo like backlash so you can't really do that. Still, they need to let us know with each new next gen preview or game, what dev kit it's running on and the specs they're using for this build. I need constant info on this, but websites and mainstream mags are only telling us the system it's for. Like next gen's still behind close curtains. I mean, I'm excited for next gen, and oddly enough it's still not been previewed yet. Even games like Gears of War are still not next gen. It's killing me. Bah.

E3 isn't just for consumers. Its for the media and for developers as well.

Mrbob

E3 isn't made for consumers at all. It's main purpose is for retail and business above all other things.

rastex

Banned
dorio said:
So the ps3 dev kits are alot closer to final then the xbox ones. MS should have done a better job of getting closer devkits than they have done.

Sony's approach: small number of devkits that are close to final hardware
MS's approach: large number of devkets that are far way from final hardware

both approaches have their advantages and disadvantages, with the major disadvantage to MS is that they had lackluster presentation at E3. Advantage is that they have a lot of games in development that's centered around the Xenon design, whereas a lot of people doing PS3 dev will be going by what they THINK it'll be.

Sega

So, were the Killzone movies done on this hardware? I'm sure this was answered in another thread, but I can't find it in all of the E3 mess. I read interviews regarding it, and none gave a definitive answer except that they weren't gameplay (which was obvious). I'd also have a hard time believing the Motorstorm movie was running on this hardware.

EDIT:
Hmm... I guess this is all we know? http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/action/killzone2/news_6126204.html
Sony themselves said straight out that it was realtime. They usually say "no comment", but they straight out said it here.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/615/615531p1.html
But then here, it's said that the EA and Epic videos were the only realtime videos there... I'm guessing this is discounting the RSX/cell demonstrations.

http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/748/748475/vids_1.html
Hahah and now in this video interview, Sony themselves straight out LIE and say that Killzone movie was GAMEPLAY. Not just real-time... GAMEPLAY.

J2 Cool

Um, Peter Moore outright lied and called the Lebron James NBA2k6 footage gameplay. You can't believe anyone really. They'd tell you your mother was dead if it would get you to buy their console. And then they'd tell you she died in real time. Sick bastards.

trmas

Banned
Sega - your name says all about your loyalties. It must suck that Sony single-handedly destroyed your company. I'd expect graphics close to the PS3 presentation from both machines eventually.

Just look at Heavenly Sword and Gow, and then mourn the fact that Sega is simply crap these days.

Sega

trmas said:
Sega - your name says all about your loyalties. It must suck that Sony single-handedly destroyed your company. I'd expect graphics close to the PS3 presentation from both machines eventually.

Just look at Heavenly Sword and Gow, and then mourn the fact that Sega is simply crap these days.
Wtf? That was unnecessary. I didn't say Sony couldn't pull off real-time graphics like that. But it IS a blatant lie that it's gameplay. That's obvious to anyone familiar with videogames. It's an animation. I was just asking if it was confirmed real-time or not. The "official news" is conflicting.

Also I love PS2. It's my favorite console of the current gen (I'll toss Dreamcast in there as current gen), except for my modded Xbox as a classic games console. The Xbox classic game emulation is hella convenient. My old systems can stay in the closet and not clutter my TV space. Not that I don't adore some Xbox-specific games. I just get a much better Japanese design fix with PS2.

I have my own reasons for choosing this name. Getting my questions completely discounted by your shallow judgement wasn't one of them.

pestul

Hajaz said:
if Nvidea stated that they will have a more powerfull desktop part at ps3 launch, i'd expect them to know what theyre saying.
I would say the card beyond G70 will be pretty close (or at least a G70 refresh) by the time PS3 releases stateside.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
motorstorm is mostly just very fast moving, and lots of particles. Its from evolution, and looking at their previous stuff and stuff like ATV, the landscape should be doable.

And with the extra power, particles will be everywhere. Plus (hopefully) proper smoke/dust clouds.

Then add in Rallisport style bodyrolls and bits flying off.

The only thing that really stands out are the guys on the bikes, which do look amazing. But lets wait and see.

Pimpwerx

Hajaz said:
Which I don't think they ever said. But you're welcome to prove me wrong. :rolleyes: PEACE.

Sega

mrklaw said:
motorstorm is mostly just very fast moving, and lots of particles. Its from evolution, and looking at their previous stuff and stuff like ATV, the landscape should be doable.

And with the extra power, particles will be everywhere. Plus (hopefully) proper smoke/dust clouds.

Then add in Rallisport style bodyrolls and bits flying off.

The only thing that really stands out are the guys on the bikes, which do look amazing. But lets wait and see.
Yeah, I could list other games in which I've seen individual elements of the Killzone demo too. But the overall presentation and visual complexity was impressive. Nothing was truly new in any of the individual graphical elements of any of these demos. But the amount and presentation of these elements is something I haven't seen before. They were impressive on that level.

But what I REALLY want to see... is some stylization on this next hardware. This is where the canvas boundaries really opens up. They could really create some CRAZY visuals without depending on rust and dirt textures.

sly

Banned
trmas said:

That was uncalled for :lol

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Sega said:
Yeah, I could list other games in which I've seen individual elements of the Killzone demo too. But the overall presentation and visual complexity was impressive. Nothing was truly new in any of the individual graphical elements of any of these demos. But the amount and presentation of these elements is something I haven't seen before. They were impressive on that level.

Thats why I'm secretly hoping they are doable :)

Top Bottom