• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Controller F****d!?

The Shepard

Today I decided to use my ps4 controller for the first time in a while for the kingdom hearts replay the ending dlc (I mainly play PS4 with an xbox one controller) and I've noticed that as I run forward the character keeps stopping and starting as if I keep tapping the stick foward to move and is even worse as I turn, It happens when I press and hold the stick in any direction. I've tried another ps4 controller and the xbox one controller and there both fine and its the same thing on other games I tried with the dodgy pad.

Any ideas how to solve the problem or what's going on with it? or is it now demoted to a glorified remote with a light?

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Remove it from the devices and re-add it. It may be a bad sync. Like back in the day when you held forward or a button on your controller before turning on the console. It stayed in that position unless you reset the console.

Hinedorf

Banned
Had this happen to me while playing rocket league that took me weeks before I realized I was gimped and then couldn't play normally due to the adjustment.

Time for a new controller :-(

Banned
Today I decided to use my ps4 controller for the first time in a while for the kingdom hearts replay the ending dlc (I mainly play PS4 with an xbox one controller) and I've noticed that as I run forward the character keeps stopping and starting as if I keep tapping the stick foward to move and is even worse as I turn, It happens when I press and hold the stick in any direction. I've tried another ps4 controller and the xbox one controller and there both fine and its the same thing on other games I tried with the dodgy pad.

Any ideas how to solve the problem or what's going on with it? or is it now demoted to a glorified remote with a light?

I had 2 PS4 controllers do that after like a year and one of my friends also has this issue with his (he now uses a Razer controller... lol that'll break in a few months too I bet xD)

I first noticed issues in Apex Legends, every time I sprinted slightly to the right the sprint got cancelled. and some angles I noticed my character stutter even while walking.

not sure if you can fix that... I just switched controllers and he faulty ones are backups for multiplayer etc.

The Shepard

I'm thinking it could be a build up of dust from the stick grinding up the side accumulating underneath so I'll try and take it apart and clean it underneath. The stick definitely feels different to the right one, don't feel as smooth when I rotate it.

I did have analog nubs on aswell but that was the first thing I removed.

Quezacolt

I had a similar issue last year, i just opened it, and cleaned the inside with some WD-40 and it went back to working perfectly.

I also followed this video.

PS: Opening the controller is a pain in the ass.

Same problem, sold off the controller and got a new one!

The Shepard

It's the joystick pots. They are easy to change if you are comfortable with soldering, but if not just get a new controller.

I got another controller already plus I can use my xbox one controller on the ps4 if I want to use that instead. I was just interested to know if it can be fixed. I'll look into this.

Nero_PR

Banned
It's the joystick pots. They are easy to change if you are comfortable with soldering, but if not just get a new controller.
Yeah, I bought some spare dualshock 4 parts and do all the soldering. It is really easy and the parts are dirty cheap. But you can just add some lubricant to the pots and they will work fine. Just a drop of lubricant is enough.

Top Bottom