• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Games are Interactive Movies (let's hash this low level bait out)

It's also possible I just don't like Uncharted, but then, I didn't waste like 90 days on a game I thought was garbage, so what do I know?
If you don't like it, then why did you bother playing it and then criticizing it?

For example, I don't like jRPGs, do you see me playing them or criticizing them?

I like skill-based real time gameplay and I tend to play games that offer that, whether SP or MP.

Ma dude??!! I feel sorry for you..2 thousand mutha @#$% 2 hundred hours playing a video gm?? 🤯😨 ..I'm not even gonna ask you about your social life.
Assumption is the mother of all fuck-ups.

Thanks for your "concern" (trolling?), but my social life is fine, thank you. Same for my friends (both men and women).

Who told you I was playing solo? 2000 hours solo would be boring indeed, but not with friends. See the difference now?

Besides, there are people with way more hours than me.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Ma dude??!! I feel sorry for you..2 thousand mutha @#$% 2 hundred hours playing a video gm?? 🤯😨 ..I'm not even gonna ask you about your social life.

giphy.gif

Shifty

Naaaa, I just understand that PlayStation are one of the few games companies left that actually invest and care a lot about the games they put out there and I'd rather that a few edge lords and MS/nintendo/steam worshipers would focus on getting their chosen 'God-companies' to make something original.
I dunno man, that sounds like something a fanboy would say. The folks at PlayStation love money just like the rest, and games make money. Mmm, money.

Instead of taking cheap jabs at games that actually try and do something new or different
Sony doesn't make cheap jabs, you say? Or are you trying to insinuate that the other companies do?

Oooor did you just get so heated that you flubbed your grammar here? :lollipop_tears_of_joy:

I like RE2 but the mechanics are very old now, it's basic in a multitude of ways.... very stiff animations, gunplay etc.
Old doesn't imply bad, and the RE route-planning structure is several magnitudes more complex and interesting than your average linear shooter. I'll take less fancy animation tech if it means more engaging gameplay.

There is much more emergent gameplay in TLOU and that is just a fact.
Jesus, ever since the last thread on emergent gameplay everyone seems to think they're an expert on it.

You really, really aren't if you think TLoU is somehow packed with the stuff. Give this a read and note how none of the games in question are linear stealth-shooter hybrids with a focus on narrative.

The systems allow you to improve your aim.... so just upgrade it and stop complaining, job done.
Fuck that, I'm not going to overlook a core design choice just becase you can de-nerf yourself through an upgrade system.

Maybe you got killed too many times in the early game?
Projecting a lack of skill because you can't parse my argument, interesting. You do realise being able to observe elements of game design has nothing to do with someone's prospective death count, yes?

I don't like criticizing Capcom, cause they along with PS, CDPR and one or two others are the only companies that are consistent and don't engage in many shitty practices.

For me PlayStation WWS, CDPR, Capcom and Nintendo are all top tier. Not beyond valid criticism...but the crap in here is not valid.... it's jealous ramblings and nitpicking.
Ayup, I'm so jealous over here with my PS4 and copies of several of these 'interactive movies' people have been memeing about.

It's almost like there's a middle ground where you can own a console and still find points of critique with its content.

I'm guessing Skyward Sword is an outlier too. :pie_eyeroll:
Lengthy intros and a focus on story are not mutually inclusive.

You don't realize that gameplay mechanics are very small amount of gameplay compared to the scope of the actual story, environments etc.
Go ahead and prove that, if you can.

What are you talking about?

This makes no sense.

Multiplayer does have it. You can upgrade your gun in single player and multiplayer to have less.

floating mechanics doesn't prove your point. It's simply a mechanic to make the aiming harder. It's like recoil in FPS.

Games are not always give you laser focused aiming.

Here is what you said.

<quote>

This is simply not true.

They make aiming harder in games to not give players the ability to have laser focused aiming.

That's the purpose of the floating mechanics. It has nothing to do with making the character feel like they're in a high-pressure situation.
It's almost as if you should have quoted that specific sentence for context instead of dragging in several paragraphs...

And pray tell then, why does TLoU sabotage its own aiming mechanic when there are plenty of other ways to increase the difficulty of the shooting without making it feel bad to control?

Because the simplest explanation to me would be the one I laid out in my last post. For the sake of immersing the player in the game's setting and narrative.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

Games take about 3-5 years to develop. Do you think most of that time is spent working on the gameplay mechanics? Sure they may tweak things throughout the development phase, but most of that time is not spent on mechanics on average.

You have to simply look at the scale of the world, the environments and characters. The process creating all those environments doesn't just happen within a few days, they have many people working on it.

It's almost as if you should have quoted that specific sentence for context instead of dragging in several paragraphs...

And pray tell then, why does TLoU sabotage its own aiming mechanic when there are plenty of other ways to increase the difficulty of the shooting without making it feel bad to control?

Because the simplest explanation to me would be the one I laid out in my last post. For the sake of immersing the player in the game's setting and narrative.

The simplest explanation for people who have played competitive games know that they make aiming harder to not make getting kills easier.

You're also ignoring the fact that you can make aiming easier through upgrades in single player AND multiplayer.

If they wanted to do it for immersion of single player, then they would've changed it completely in multiplayer.

To say they made it because they wanted to make the character feel like they're in a high pressure situation is just false.

It's not sabotaging the aiming, it's to prevent people from getting easy kills, especially headshots.

Gears added recoil to widen the skill gap.

There's a reason why aiming in games like Call of Duty and Halo are much easier in games in comparison to Counter Strike and Battlefield.

Bryank75

Banned
I dunno man, that sounds like something a fanboy would say. The folks at PlayStation love money just like the rest, and games make money. Mmm, money.

Sony doesn't make cheap jabs, you say? Or are you trying to insinuate that the other companies do?

Oooor did you just get so heated that you flubbed your grammar here? :lollipop_tears_of_joy:

Old doesn't imply bad, and the RE route-planning structure is several magnitudes more complex and interesting than your average linear shooter. I'll take less fancy animation tech if it means more engaging gameplay.

Jesus, ever since the last thread on emergent gameplay everyone seems to think they're an expert on it.

You really, really aren't if you think TLoU is somehow packed with the stuff. Give this a read and note how none of the games in question are linear stealth-shooter hybrids with a focus on narrative.

Fuck that, I'm not going to overlook a core design choice just becase you can de-nerf yourself through an upgrade system.

Projecting a lack of skill because you can't parse my argument, interesting. You do realise being able to observe elements of game design has nothing to do with someone's prospective death count, yes?

Ayup, I'm so jealous over here with my PS4 and copies of several of these 'interactive movies' people have been memeing about.

It's almost like there's a middle ground where you can own a console and still find points of critique with its content.

Lengthy intros and a focus on story are not mutually inclusive.

Man, your arguments are pathetic... 'game is crap cause of grass clipping'

I've got news for you, people don't start off excellent at everything....they practice and invest their time to improve. That is reflected in TLOU because it happens over a lengthy time period.
Even if it is Leons first day on the job he has probably had a fair bit of training.

BTW, I was saying that you were taking cheap jabs at games that try to do something new or different.... I don't know how you didn't understand that!

It's so awesome that PlayStation is dominating and forced Xbox almost out of the living room and Nintendo to cannibalize their handheld market just to stay in the game..... I get enormous pleasure from how much it triggers people.

Last edited:
If you don't like it, then why did you bother playing it and then criticizing it?

For example, I don't like jRPGs, do you see me playing them or criticizing them?

I like skill-based real time gameplay and I tend to play games that offer that, whether SP or MP.

Assumption is the mother of all fuck-ups.

Thanks for your "concern" (trolling?), but my social life is fine, thank you. Same for my friends (both men and women).

Who told you I was playing solo? 2000 hours solo would be boring indeed, but not with friends. See the difference now?

Besides, there are people with way more hours than me.

No disrespect 👊🤝 it's just ridiculous amount of hrs, 2k no joke..I barely scratch couple hrs of any gm nowadays..have fun !!

Three

Being able to speedrun a game so fast that your total playtime is less than the runtime of its cutscenes does not suddenly mean the game is story focused. Average first-playthrough length is 8 hours for RE2make, plus extra to do Route B and see the remainder of its story.

I give these mental gymnastics a
tenor.gif

And the average playtime of Last of Us is 14 hours (single player only mode) and only 1 hour 30 mins of cutscenes.

Speedrun time ~3 hours skipping cutscenes, what's your fucking point? I give your mental gymnastics in the face of facts a 0.

Last edited:
No disrespect 👊🤝 it's just ridiculous amount of hrs, 2k no joke..I barely scratch couple hrs of any gm nowadays..have fun !!
I just wanted to give a perspective of where I'm coming from.

When I say that I like ND games, many people instantly assume I'm the stereotypical Sony fan who only cares about an easy cinematic adventure. That's a bit tad offensive for me.

Maybe I'm the minority, who knows, but I know for fact I've been here on NeoGAF since 2011, when the UC3 MP beta came out and I was trying to find a Subway code. That should tell you something.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
But games like Quantum Break are not?
Where did I say QB is not? That game has tons of cut-scenes. But compared to the avg Sony exclusive movie game, it has more gameplay.

I said exclusives, so you have to explain why they're all like movies.
Because Sony's approach to games has changed. During PS3, they had all kinds of games..... shooters, more racers, that fighting game, LBP (Dreams isn't out yet). Now, Sony's exclusives are basically GT, annual baseball games, and SP focused linear games, where the SP games are heavy on cinematics and production values, but low in MP (some have no MP). Many are linear too.

And the games I listed with the pics are the most movie like. Hardly a game. I believe 1886 has as much cut-scenes than actual gameplay. I remember people beating it in 5 hrs and half were cinematics.

Last edited:

Three

Where did I say QB is not? That game has tons of cut-scenes. But compared to the avg Sony exclusive movie game, it has more gameplay.

Because Sony's approach to games has changed. During PS3, they had all kinds of games..... shooters, more racers, that fighting game, LBP (Dreams isn't out yet). Now, Sony's exclusives are basically GT, annual baseball games, and SP focused linear games, where the SP games are heavy on cinematics and production values, but low in MP (some have no MP). Many are linear too.
2 of the games you listed for PS4 are movie games from the PS3. Those ARE movie games that's the point of them much like Untill dawn. The issue is with other games that aren't interactive movies but games as much as any other game out there. Like GoW or Last of Us that people try to play off as 'just movies you can watch on youtube'

Last edited:

And the games I listed with the pics are the most movie like. Hardly a game. I believe 1886 has as much cut-scenes than actual gameplay. I remember people beating it in 5 hrs and half were cinematics.
I'll give you that.

Sony seems to have doubled down on SP cinematic experiences this gen. I mean, they had games like Uncharted/TLOU/GoW on PS3, but they also had more exclusive MP games and more support for them. For starters, UC4 MP was abandoned prematurely compared to UC3 MP (3 years of support, it even got a new free map -Dry Docks- in 2014, after the PS4 release). Huge difference IMHO.

Hell, they even had their very own Smash clone (PSASBR). Now you gotta buy a Nintendo console to enjoy that genre... why?

That will most likely change with the PS5 and hopefully we'll get more (genre) diversity.

People may argue that 3rd parties fill that void, but their games (CoD/BF/Fortnite etc.) don't scratch the same kind of itch for me.

Not sure who's to blame for this. Some people say it was Shawn Layden (same for censorship/SJWitis). We'll see what the future entails.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

That's false.

Spider-Man is not linear
Horizon Zero Dawn is not linear
Days Gone is not linear

How does Quantum Break have more gamplay?

You can do a lot more in Uncharted 4, The Last of Us than what you can do in Quantum Break and Gears 5.

You guys are just making up things with no proof whatsoever.

Tell me, how does Gears, Halo offer more gameplay than Uncharted and The Last of Us?

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I'll give you that.

Sony seems to have doubled down on SP cinematic experiences this gen. I mean, they had games like Uncharted/TLOU/GoW on PS3, but they also had more exclusive MP games and more support for them. For starters, UC4 MP was abandoned prematurely compared to UC3 MP (3 years of support, it even got a new free map -Dry Docks- in 2014, after the PS4 release). Huge difference IMHO.

Hell, they even had their very own Smash clone (PSASBR). Now you gotta buy a Nintendo console to enjoy that genre... why?

That will most likely change with the PS5 and hopefully we'll get more (genre) diversity.

People may argue that 3rd parties fill that void, but their games (CoD/BF/Fortnite etc.) don't scratch the same kind of itch for me.

Not sure who's to blame for this. Some people say it was Shawn Layden (same for censorship/SJWitis). We'll see what the future entails.
Yup.

Sony gave up on MP and half their franchises, which basically gimped their genres. Sony even added MP into God of War for extra variety and gameplay last gen. That's why Sony games get labeled "Sad Dad" now. Aside from Angry Aloy, it's a familiar formula.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Gears 5 gameplay

Stealth is worse than Uncharted 4 and the Last of Us.

The majority of the time, you're put in areas to take out enemies.

You're literally just taking cover and taking out enemies.

Now there are areas where you fight enemies that are quick to take down while walking to the next area, but you're still mostly just taking cover and killing enemies.

Somehow you're very limited as to what you can do , but this offers "heavier gameplay" compared to The Last of Us. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

You're walking to "corridors" and the game is linear to the beginning of the game. The open world areas are also very empty.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Gears 5 gameplay

Now there are areas where you fight enemies that are quick to take down while walking to the next area, but you're still mostly just taking cover and killing enemies.

Somehow you're very limited as to what you can do , but this offers "heavier gameplay" compared to The Last of Us. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

You're walking to "corridors" and the game is linear to the beginning of the game. The open world areas are also very empty.

You are really going to attempt gameplay debates when Sony promoted these games?
O1886PS4.jpg

81Eqf4z2ZWL._SX425_.jpg

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
You are really going to attempt gameplay debates when Sony promoted these games?
O1886PS4.jpg

81Eqf4z2ZWL._SX425_.jpg

You're deflecting.

One of two games like Detroit and Beyond Two Souls do not prove all Sony games are the same. I'm discussing action based games, you keep trying go back to talking to games in which I'm not even talking about.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Gears 5 gameplay

Nonsense, cause, reasons.

I think it comes down to the fact that Sony is a step above the competition when it comes to cinematic polish, so they try and use it as a negative while the industry is in the midst of playing catch up.

The industry that Includes cinematic games they enjoy themselves, on their select platforms of choice.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
You're deflecting.

One of two games like Detroit and Beyond Two Souls do not prove all Sony games are the same. I'm discussing action based games, you keep trying go back to talking to games in which I'm not even talking about.
Actually you are deflecting.

I quoted you asking why Sony exclusives are like movies and I posted these games which you ignored, which are big time movie-gameplay games with severely canned gameplay and tons of cut-scenes.

Then somehow you spun it into Gears, UC and LoU?

And ya, as Three said above (I forgot about it), here's another movie game.

URL]
_-Until-Dawn-PS4-_.jpg

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Actually you are deflecting.

I quoted you asking why Sony exclusives are like movies and I posted these games which you ignored, which are big time movie-gameplay games with severely canned gameplay and tons of cut-scenes.

Then somehow you spun it into Gears, UC and LoU?

No one is spinning anything.

You picked games in which are designed to be like interactive movies.

It's clear that's not what I'm referring to.

No one is arguing games like Beyond Two Souls, Until Dawn and Detroit are like interactive movies, but we are talking about games which CLEARLY has a lot of gameplay, but people STILL call them interactive movies.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
1. Cut-scene leading to area.
2. Player enters small area littered with enemies or abstacles.
3. Player clears enemies or scales obstacles in area. Triggering next cut-scene.
4. Cut-scene then plays, leading to next area.
5. Repeat 2-3.
That pretty much describes any game that's not a racing or fighting game.

Hell that fits even FPS games.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Nonsense, cause, reasons.

I think it comes down to the fact that Sony is a step above the competition when it comes to cinematic polish, so they try and use it as a negative while the industry is in the midst of playing catch up.

The industry that Includes cinematic games they enjoy themselves, on their select platforms of choice.

I also heard that they're tired of Sony's emotional narratives in video games.

It's like they never played any Gears or Halo games.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Uncharted 4 and Last of Us both have multiplayer with several modes.

You're still struggling like the others to explain why.

This is just further proof that you guys just make up the claim with no proof.
Don't worry Dforce.

All gamers fully accept 1886, Rapture and those million QD games as totally chock full of gameplay.

Here's another Sony game with tons of gameplay.

e697a99637.jpg

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Don't worry Dforce.

All gamers fully accept 1886, Rapture and those million QD games as totally chock full of gameplay.

Here's another Sony game with tons of gameplay.

e697a99637.jpg

Ok, I guess I can say that Microsoft has nothing but interactive body simulators since they produce a lot of kinect games.

Thanks for clarifying.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
But they have more body simulators than actual video games. Way more than Sony interactive movies. :messenger_grinning_sweat:
Probably. And those games have more gameplay, hardly any cinematics, and in order to play the game, you actually have to play it.

You can't lie down on a couch on your side with a cheeto sticking out of your mouth, and using one hand to push buttons to beat a game like Erica.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Probably. And those games have more gameplay, hardly any cinematics, and in order to play the game, you actually have to play it.

You can't lie down on a couch on your side with a cheeto sticking out of your mouth, and using one hand to push buttons to beat a game like Erica.

Sure, I but it still MS produced more kinect games than actual games.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Sure, I but it still MS produced more kinect games than actual games.
I don't have a list to count it up, but it's possible. Lots of Kinect games adds to the total.

Goes to show more variety on Xbox than the likes of Sony who have gassed lots of genres and franchises from last gen.

As for the general debate here about cinematics and gameplay, Sony has really narrowed their focus this gen. After traditional SP focused games, the next big push by Sony this gen has been their slew of interactive movie games. Games that can literally be beaten with one hand. Going by the looks of 1886 videos, looks like that can be beat the same way aside from using two hands for the occasional gun fight. When half the game is cut-scenes, you can get through half the game by pressing a button with your toe.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I don't have a list to count it up, but it's possible. Lots of Kinect games adds to the total.

Goes to show more variety on Xbox than the likes of Sony who have gassed lots of genres and franchises from last gen.

As for the general debate here about cinematics and gameplay, Sony has really narrowed their focus this gen. After traditional SP focused games, the next big push by Sony this gen has been their slew of interactive movie games. Games that can literally be beaten with one hand. Going by the looks of 1886 videos, looks like that can be beat the same way aside from using two hands for the occasional gun fight. When half the game is cut-scenes, you can get through half the game by pressing a button with your toe.
Yes, they focus more on kinect games than actual games. That's why they failed this gen. They tried to push Kinect and that's why they failed.

i feel this thread blinded on current situation on current issue of xbox's lack of games situation then blaming other console's exclusives game being cinematic games but in reality they are different games has different genres or gameplay that different each other mostly i would suggest BLAME your Microsoft for being lazy/lack of interest to show their power of creativity and uniqueness of their console.......

Why consoles are popular? its easy to answer for its exclusives games and gimmicks Why Ps4 sales more then its easy its their exclusives meanwhile Switch its exclusives too + portability Meanwhile on Xbox its nothing...its just damned superior multiplatform console its sale faster on early years but now slowing sale

Last edited:

Klayzer

That's ridiculous.

Making melee attacks look good simply just gives a feel of immersion.

Capcom does it with Resident Evil 2 when you're attacked by a zombie and\or you defend yourself by putting a knife through their chest.
x65GboX.gif

Doom 2016 does it with their melee kills.
Doom-2016-glory-kills.gif

Gears 5 has it, too
GorgeousAgreeableKestrel-size_restricted.gif

This is the problem with your argument.

You don't hold other games to the same standard when this very common in video games.

HonorableDearGallinule-size_restricted.gif

See why I shake my head when people try to drive home the false narrative that Sony games are the only ones doing this stuff?

Melee attacks in games react differently based on where you are in the environment

If there was NOT a focus on gameplay, then it wouldn't matter.

Joel can kick an enemy down the stairs.
Joel can grab the legs of an enemy and pull them down off objects.

You simply label this as animation, when it's paying attention to gameplay detail.

@ the 34:00 mark, it talks about fighting in uneven terrain.

This is a problem in a lot of games because your attack will often miss when the enemy is lower or higher than you are.

There are a lot of details within this video that many game developers don't even consider. This is why I laugh when people say they focus more on cutscenes than gameplay.

And about the very basic part?

Many shooting game don't have these mechanics, even some of the competitive games out there.

Each player can be unique with survival skills equipped in the multiplayer. Someone who says the gameplay is VERY basic IS in fact lying.

maxresdefault.jpg

Each weapon can be upgraded during a match.

Each survival skill has 3 levels

Nobody offered proof of that they focus more on cutscenes and they can't prove that the gameplay is very basic.

It seems odd that only Sony's games are labeled for what many games use also...very odd.

I can't put my finger on why that is. Can someone explain why?

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
It seems odd that only Sony's games are labeled for what many games use also...very odd.

I can't put my finger on why that is. Can someone explain why?
It's their biggest exclusive games.
So that's why

Kagey K

Banned
If they were on a different platform, they would be singing a different tune.

I guess that's why they generally get excited to see Naughty Dog devs join MS studios.
That’s untrue (For me at least.) I don’t even complain that Sony games feel like movies it’s that they all kind of look and feel the same.
I know there have been many examples in this to disprove the movie idea, but my problem is they feel like 3D versions of PS1 games.

The characters always feel to me like they are still meant to be controlled with the dpad and seem pasted in on static backgrounds. It’s something about the compression, or the pallet or something. It all just kind of feels the same.

Its very obvious for us to see now what Square did back in Ff7,8 & 9 days, but we didn’t see it back then. I think in a gen or 2 we will see why some people felt they always felt the same.

Until then I’m just going to say those that feel like all the games look the same have a point, and those that say they are all different have one too. They both also gloss over some glaring distances in each other’s perception.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
That’s untrue (For me at least.) I don’t even complain that Sony games feel like movies it’s that they all kind of look and feel the same.
I know there have been many examples in this to disprove the movie idea, but my problem is they feel like 3D versions of PS1 games.

The characters always feel to me like they are still meant to be controlled with the dpad and seem pasted in on static backgrounds. It’s something about the compression, or the pallet or something. It all just kind of feels the same.

Its very obvious for us to see now what Square did back in Ff7,8 & 9 days, but we didn’t see it back then. I think in a gen or 2 we will see why some people felt they always felt the same.

Until then I’m just going to say those that feel like all the games look the same have a point, and those that say they are all different have one too. They both also gloss over some glaring distances in each other’s perception.

Gameplay is entirely different. I don't understand how anyone could say they feel the same. I'm sure if they weren't Sony games, people would feel differently.

Reminds when people call Hellblade a movie and a walking simulator, but loved it when it went to the other platform.

Top Bottom