• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's b-real: Armored Core VI was one of the actual best games of the year

Drizzlehell

Banned
I guess it's no secret that I have a lot of contempt towards modern triple-A video games, and in my opinion the curated "cinematic" experiences with Marvel-style writing that Sony pumps out of its orifice these days brings as much value to the medium of video games as superhero movies to the medium of cinema. I can understand if someone enjoyed the story of whatever, but they're pretty worthless as video games and actually hold the medium back in a lot of ways. They're soulless and I'm so tired of seeing that stuff that for the first time ever, I just started skipping a lot of them this year (eg. Spider-Man 2, Hogwarts, Forspoken, Avatar, and a bunch of others). Despite the rave reviews that a lot of those games received, there were only a few that are actually worth a damn if you ask me. And yes, this was an incredibly good year for gaming because it means that with an increased number of overall releases also came a handful that were good.

Anyway, Armored Core VI is definitely among those games that have a soul. It has actual depth in its gameplay, design, and storytelling. I genuinely struggle to find any valid reason to criticise it, and there's also so much that works. From the incredibly fun and refined gameplay, to in-depth customisation, AMAZING atmosphere and soundtrack, engaging storyline... I dunno, maybe if you're not very good at video games and you got your ass handed to you, then it may be a bit of a hard sell, but it's not actually a flaw. It just means you gotta spend some time to actually get good at it, learn the mechanics, dissect it to its core, and not just mindlessly blast through it in 10 hours and never touch it again. I've been revisiting ACVI constantly ever since it released and I still find a lot of replay value in it. You know, like in an actual video game and not some cinematic experience that you play through once and then find very little reason to ever touch it again.

I'm really glad that it received enough hype coming off of FromSoft's soulslikes to actually be successful. And I'm not even bothered that it got completely ignored for annual awards because those are mostly just phoney circle jerks that wouldn't be able to tell a good game from their own assholes. At least they rightfully gave recognition to Baldur's Gate 3. ACVI definitely should've been up there next to it, though.

Hohenheim

Amazing game,no doubt. Definitly one of my favourites this year.
But didn't it win best action game at the Keighly-awards? And got very good reviews. Probably too nerdy to get any more than that.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I will try it when its cheaper. Hopefully it hits $20 in 2024. I think thats my jump in point.

I find elements of it very appealing but I've been burned on FS games too many times. I have no need to potentially waste money for FOMO on these and I cant trust any reviews or even word of mouth on FS titles. Their fans are so passionate that I just have to ignore what they say and try it for myself.

It looks like a darker Daemon x Machina. That game was okay but I wasnt crazy about it. Still some fun to be had, no doubt.

if you like mech games, sure.

otherwise, no thanks.

Unfortunately, I agree wholeheartedly. I love From's Action RPG titles, but I just could not get into AC6. It's too dissimilar for me. Same thing happened with AC5 back in 2013... though I heard that was just a shitty game, so I was hoping 6 would be a different experience for me.
Count me in as well, gents.

I've never cared for mech games, but between not having tried one in about 8 years, plus Fromsoft's stellar output from Demon's Souls to Elden Ring, I was willing to give it AC6 a try, while being well aware mech games are not Souls-likes.

It just felt like yet another mech game. Levels are filled with enemies that are of no consequence or challenge, so you just mow them all down without any thought, like a Dynasty Warriors game, until you get to a boss. At that point, you have to be lucky enough to have the right equipment installed on your mech to beat the boss, because there's no strategy involved in. If not, you need to tinker around in the garage.

This is the gameplay loop in every level. I know because I made it to the end of Chapter 4, before I finally gave up.

I'm glad AC and mech fans got a new game in their genre, but they shouldn't act surprised when so many other people have no interest in the genre.

cireza

Haven't played the game, however your introduction paragraph is a perfect summary of how I feel about modern day games and movies. Couldn't have written it any better.

Glad you got to play a game that you truly enjoy. I am not too much in mechs, but I do find games I love as well every once in a while. If you are really searching for intelligent games that have you learn and understand by yourself, why not try Shiren the Wanderer series ? I love these games, 5+ is available on a lot of platforms including PC. That would be my recommendation.

Drizzlehell

Banned
I will try it when its cheaper. Hopefully it hits $20 in 2024. I think thats my jump in point.

I find elements of it very appealing but I've been burned on FS games too many times. I have no need to potentially waste money for FOMO on these and I cant trust any reviews or even word of mouth on FS titles. Their fans are so passionate that I just have to ignore what they say and try it for myself.

It looks like a darker Daemon x Machina. That game was okay but I wasnt crazy about it. Still some fun to be had, no doubt.
Fair enough. Of course I'm not trying to shame anyone who didn't try it and I totally get it if it's not for everyone. But that's also what kinda makes it special, I guess. It's not desperately trying to appeal and be accessible to everyone, which makes it that much more satisfying for anyone who vibes with it.

Also, to be clear, I'm not really a fan of FromSoft or anything. Hell, I haven't even played an Armored Core game in my life before this, and I only truly loved the first Dark Souls and Bloodborne when talking about soulslikes. There's just something about this game in particular that I found very appealing.

consoul

You know when youre showing off the new Mortal Kombat or Tekken or whatevs to your 8 year old Nephew, and all they do is spam mash spam any button they can?

That's AC6 gameplay in a nutshell.
Throw in dated visuals, and virtually no story.
Spam mashing buttons won't get you far in AC6. I don't know where you're coming from with that criticism. Visually it may not be cutting edge, but it looks good and conveys scale well.

And I wouldn't know about showing off Mortal Kombat to a nephew because I wouldn't buy that trash or inflict it upon others.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Nah.

It was a very, very good mech game, but nothing more. You have to be a fan of that kind of game. Doesn't have anywhere near the appeal of their other games. I gave it a go, but bounced off pretty hard given the concept and gameplay loop.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
Count me in as well, gents.

I've never cared for mech games, but between not having tried one in about 8 years, plus Fromsoft's stellar output from Demon's Souls to Elden Ring, I was willing to give it AC6 a try, while being well aware mech games are not Souls-likes.

It just felt like yet another mech game. Levels are filled with enemies that are of no consequence or challenge, so you just mow them all down without any thought, like a Dynasty Warriors game, until you get to a boss. At that point, you have to be lucky enough to have the right equipment installed on your mech to beat the boss, because there's no strategy involved in. If not, you need to tinker around in the garage.

This is the gameplay loop in every level. I know because I made it to the end of Chapter 4, before I finally gave up.

I'm glad AC and mech fans got a new game in their genre, but they shouldn't act surprised when so many other people have no interest in the genre.
Dynasty Warriors this is not. Not even close. If anything, this is more like Ace Combat, except you pilot a mech and not a plane. And sorry, but I think you're absolutely wrong about the game being mindless and requiring zero strategy.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Fair enough. Of course I'm not trying to shame anyone who didn't try it and I totally get it if it's not for everyone. But that's also what kinda makes it special, I guess. It's not desperately trying to appeal and be accessible to everyone, which makes it that much more satisfying for anyone who vibes with it.
Your whole thread is totally fine. It wasnt really aimed at you specifically. On the quoted part I totally know how you feel.

ungalo

Still haven't played it. I'm kind of afraid it's one of those side project like Wo Long where the core gameplay is well made but everything else shows the devs actually gave 30% of what they had.

Last edited:

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Armored Core 6 feels like it came from an alternate reality where AAA gaming didn't go to complete shit after 2018

GOTY and my personal game of the decade so far

AC went through a real rough patch with a few of the previous releases
I'm normally a sucker for old games but I cannot go back to AC's PS2/PS3 era (I tried) AC6 is just that damn good

Hero_Select

I didn't buy it. got to play it over at a friends house and I was very glad not to have bought into the From Software hype. It's a very mediocre game with mediocre visuals and a very poor way of presenting it's story.

It looks cool but I got turned off by people saying the bosses were impossible like every From Soft game. Maybe when it's real cheap some day.

j0hnnix

Gold Member
I definitely would put this up there. i had not played an AC game before and fell in love with it. Amazing landscapes, great customizations, its a from software game and would expect insane graphics but damn graphics were amazing in the sense of size and verticality. Dual shotty ftw.

Definitely tested my mettle... heh

tommib

It looks cool but I got turned off by people saying the bosses were impossible like every From Soft game. Maybe when it's real cheap some day.
They’re not! It’s a lie. It’s much easier than the soul games. There are weapon combos that melt any boss fight. I was killing bosses on first and second tries right and left. Don’t be scared, man.

Dynasty Warriors this is not. Not even close. If anything, this is more like Ace Combat, except you pilot a mech and not a plane. And sorry, but I think you're absolutely wrong about the game being mindless and requiring zero strategy.
I don't know, man. I played like 80% before quitting out of boredom. Mowing down waves of enemies who present no challenge feels like Dynasty Warriors to me. That is until the bosses, when it's no longer a Dynasty Warriors games and instead a matter trial and error until you find the right equipment.

But again, to each their own. I'm glad mech fans are enjoying it.

I am in fact replaying it right now after double dipping and somehow I'm enjoying it even more. Maybe because I'm not rushing it and instead taking my time to try all the different weapons out.

Deffo my game of last year. Tons of lore to get stuck into as well. I love how sterile and creepy it is.

Last edited:

RAIDEN1

It maybe good, but when all said and done there's only one kick ass armoured killing machine, and that is Robocop, I mean that game may not have had the hype of a Spiderman, Hogwarts, Forespoken et all, but it ended up being the best Robocop game released in generations...(console generations...) and is worthy of being Robocop 4 the movie in of itself...(instead the dire 2014 movie)

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Hip Hop 90S GIF by Cypress Hill

MagnesD3

2nd best game I played from this year, great action game. Worthy of the new game++, hope theres dlc in tge future (after ER of course)

Last edited:

Aion002

otherwise, no thanks.
100% this.

I particularly love Armored Core since the ps1. 6 is amazing, but if a person dislike mechas it's really hard to appreciate it, the Armored Core series is made for mecha fans.

However, it's worth mentioning that FS did make the game more accessible, so for anyone interested in mechas, 6 is a great starting point.

MiguelItUp

otherwise, no thanks.
Yeah, definitely loved by a specific type of fan. Not a bad thing by any means. But since its release it's definitely apparent by the people that love and don't love it. Cool to have seen them make it more accessible though. I think they were able to nab some new fans, but it's still a niche for sure.

Last edited:

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Man it was so awesome. I thought they nailed the feel of an old school Armored Core mixed with new school Elden Ring greatest hits hybrid. Loved it, it was one of my favorites of the year.

No frills, no BS, just fun as shit action gameplay.

I hope they come out with some more single player content for it. Some type of Co-op would be amazing as well but thats probably not in the cards.

Top Bottom