• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Devkit Name, NextBox camera a huge priority,

bitbydeath

Gold Member
They claim that they received a photo of the dev kit before the illustrations arrived. So with that out the way, here we go.

The best photo our tipster sent isn’t much — a 33.5Kb gif that is just 238 pixels by 144 pixels. It’s been cropped and downgraded as if to remove any possible identifying details. Suffice it to say that from what we can see, the details in the photo appear identical to the registration illustrations.

The photo is taken from above at an angle as if the photographer held the camera at waist height and shot the device while standing right next to it. So the perspective is skewed, and only a portion of the device is visible. There’s a cord laying across part of the device. What immediately catches your eye is that this device has a two-tone colour job, much like PS4 developer boxes before. Much of what we see is covered in a shiny silver finish that reflects the garish overhead lights illuminating it. The parts not covered in the silver finish are covered in black plastic. The portion visible includes those five gill-like vents and that big V-shaped divot.

A second image sent by the tipster is even less legible and resembles a large black blob. The tipster said it was a photo processed with reduced colour depth and resolution to remove reflections. The resulting file is another tiny gif. The tipster advised adjusting the brightness or gamma of the image. Doing so reveals a terribly pixelated image. The words “PROTOTYPE 1 NOT FOR SALE” are visible.

Below that, there appears to be a small LED labelled “STATUS 2.” Directly beside it are three buttons or knobs. The first is labelled “STANDBY.” The labelling for the other two buttons or knobs is less legible. The one beside “STANDBY” starts with “RE.” So it possibly says “RESET” or “RECORD.” The third starts with an “EJE” and likely, spells “EJECT.” Directly below this grouping of three is what appears to be a slot for a DVD or Blu-ray.

Our tipster claims it’s (PS5) called “Prospero.”

According to our tipster, earlier PS5 prototypes have been in the hands of developers since 2018, but Prospero, the current dev console, was first delivered to developers early this winter.

One thing was clear: the future consoles will have the “greatest compute jump in any console,” they said.

In terms of graphics performance, our tipster offered fuzzy details about how each console would handle ray tracing differently, but frankly, the statements were too hard to parse, so we won’t reprint them here.

According to our tipster, Microsoft will make the camera a huge priority, while the Prospero kit uses older camera technology. (It’s worth noting that what’s in a development kit doesn’t necessarily reflect what ships in a final product.)

Meanwhile, Microsoft’s camera is allegedly capable of 4K resolution with just a two-frame latency between what is recorded and what appears on a stream. (The current Microsoft Kinect camera gets about 8ms to 10ms of latency.) The tipster claims Microsoft is showing off the capabilities of the camera using a Snapchat-like demo that changes with the in-game lighting.

This wouldn’t be a surprising move for Microsoft. The company attempted to make the camera a big part of the Xbox One. A pricey Kinect camera came bundled with every console. At the time, consumers were furious about paying for a camera that seemed unnecessary.

The streaming business has changed that, and Microsoft has been quick to recognise the value of a streaming platform to building back its market share in console gaming. The company has made considerable investments in its Twitch competitor, Mixer. Earlier this year, it lured popular Twitch streamer, Ninja, to the platform, and there have been reports of it paying streamers upwards of a $1.5 million to stream on Mixer.

A really good camera just makes sense.

Last edited:

Imtjnotu

P
2jph.gif

bitbydeath

Gold Member
So where are the photos?

Clickbait shit (not you OP).

They wrote...

In the interest of protecting our tipster, we won’t post the photos here.

So yeah...... but anyway that is why I've marked it as rumour.
Even if they did post photos their would be no way for us to prove as to when they received them so we have to take their word for it either way.

Last edited:
But I thought they were heavily doctored so it can't give anything away...

:pie_diana:
Imagine what would happen if the images were published and despite being heavily doctored there is a portion of the image where someone is able to identify the leaker with. The leaker would have the authorities knocking down his door within minutes.
There is no reason to put someone in that much psychological pressure with an image. The site is correct to refuse to post the pics even if it was heavily doctored to hide the leaker's identity.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Imagine what would happen if the images were published and despite being heavily doctored there is a portion of the image where someone is able to identify the leaker with. The leaker would have the authorities knocking down his door within minutes.
There is no reason to put someone in that much psychological pressure with an image. The site is correct to refuse to post the pics even if it was heavily doctored to hide the leaker's identity.

I understand. I just want to see them, lol.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Isn't Kinect trashed, or did I miss something? PS5 kit has another The Tempest name, so that's plausible. No pics. Not a great leak overall.

Reactions: TLZ

vpance

^ Yeah, Prospero means further links to Gonzalo.

Gonzalo - 9TF base model PS5
Caliban - 13TF PS5 Pro 🤔

xool

frankly, the statements were too hard to parse, so we won’t reprint them here.

what a time to be alive

According to our tipster, Microsoft will make the camera a huge priority

ok calling it fake - the idea that MS is rowing the fail boat into the sunset for a second generation is just too obvious to be true. Wasting resourses on a feature that nobody asked for and doesn't impact core gameplay in any way.

and jeez JUST PRINT THE FUCKING PHOTOS YOU STUPID CLICKBAIT CU*T

Last edited:

PocoJoe

Banned
They wrote...

So yeah...... but anyway that is why I've marked it as rumour.
Even if they did post photos their would be no way for us to prove as to when they received them so we have to take their word for it either way.

Sounds bullshit.

First he "removes anything to be identified from" from the pics(I guess reflections? They could be removed easily without making it tiny gif lol)

And then pics cant be shown because of identifying, while they say that quality is potato level?

bitbydeath

Gold Member
Sounds bullshit.

First he "removes anything to be identified from" from the pics(I guess reflections? They could be removed easily without making it tiny gif lol)

And then pics cant be shown because of identifying, while they say that quality is potato level?

It is coming from Gizmodo though and not a no name site which given their respected position in the news industry lends credence to the rumour.

DonF

Camera again, you say? Have you heard the definition of insanity?

Also, its clear that the box is a dev kit, it can't be a retail, final consumer console.

vpance

9 TFLOPS now? :LOL: .

Last I remember we had Gonzalo at 9.x TF after the 2.0GHz leak by Komachi..

There’s only ever been mentions of one dev kit, not multiple.

True but I don't see why they'd need to have different kits to target a lower spec. Just do it virtually in software.

Where does this new rumors come from? I've been out of the next gen thread for a while now and first time i see this.

Some credible Japanese journo mentioned he heard about 2 models at launch.

MadAnon

"Biggest compute jump ever". What a load of bullshit. Good luck beating ps2 to ps3 insane compute leap. Maybe he had some fuzzy pictures but he obviously doesn't have any legit info about internals.

Last edited:

Birdo

Banned
Don't let MS put a camera in your house.

Every Windows 10 update re-enables my laptop camera. It's so shady :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Last edited:

jonnyp

But as somebody else said some time ago, why would Sony go to all the hassle of designing a box like that for a developer kit? Just stick it in a black case and be done. No, I think this is to test this design for a possible consumer release.

Very little "hassle" to design that and the limited amount of devkits that will be distributed means that the design of the box is not a significant cost factor.

Personally I think it looks like ass and is too big and bulky for a consumer box. Maybe they will have a sort of V-design on the final box but it will be a lot smaller and less pronounced than the devkit, of that I am sure.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
But as somebody else said some time ago, why would Sony go to all the hassle of designing a box like that for a developer kit? Just stick it in a black case and be done. No, I think this is to test this design for a possible consumer release.

The final box might look "something" like it but you can't go just by the diagram. In person the kit could look way more hacked together or not clean design at all. Have to wait for actual photos

Breakage

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if the V makes it to the final unit. The design seems to be heavily influenced by whatever advanced cooling system it is packing.

Last edited:
The devkit does. The retail box will not look like that.
That is a very efficient looking cooling method. Huge vents at the top, sides and rear to expel heat quickly. Perhaps the official retail box won't look like that but i hope it takes design cues from this.

LordOfChaos

I knew there would be Kinect kneejerk reactions in here lol.

Are they never allowed to make a webcam again? Come on. Especially with streaming being bonkers huge. Lets just see what they do. Probably not an expensive pack-in, they won't repeat that mistake.

Stuart360

I knew there would be Kinect kneejerk reactions in here lol.

Are they never allowed to make a webcam again? Come on. Especially with streaming being bonkers huge. Lets just see what they do. Probably not an expensive pack-in, they won't repeat that mistake.
People also ignoring this quote - 'According to our tipster, Microsoft will make the camera a huge priority, while the Prospero kit uses older camera technology'
They both will have a camera.

Iced Arcade

with streaming so big it really makes sense BUT I hope it's an add on and they don't force it like kinect 2. that or swallow the the cost.

being $100 more expensive than the competitor offering the same general experience is what hurt MS this gen (well in north america)

Top Bottom