• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro developer verdict: ‘I didn’t meet a single person that understood the point of it’

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Your thoughts neogaf?
When PS4 Pro was unveiled the reception was just as cold IME.
I distinctly remember having conversations we had in the studio and most were actively questioning the 'why' or how the spec would even get close to what Sony was selling (4k push).

I think it's also rather pointless conversation as devs never asked for mid-gen refreshes. No-one wanted another hw-SKU to support 'just because' - from Dev perspective - mid-gen refreshes are just extra work - dating all the way back to when NDS-i first introduced the concept.
What matters is how buyers will perceive it - and that part of the story is on platform-maker to paint. Last gen 4k marketing shift ramped up massively between 'dev-specs' and public-reveal 8months or so later.

Guilty_AI

There's probably not much point from a developer's perspective, but i'm pretty sure many people would line up to buy the new shiny thing even if improvements don't turn out to be all that noticeable. There are considerable amounts of people buying RTX 4090s for insane prices, they'll buy some enhanced console.

Last edited:
What I've heard nothing about is any sort of expanded BC for the 5Pro. I don't mean PS1 or PS2 so much, but we really need a modern way to play our PS3 games. Knowing Sony, they'll likely gimp the PS4 BC that's already in the base5 rather than expand any BC capabilities with the pro. :pie_eyeroll:

The PS5 already enhances PS4 games within the logic of the PS4. PS5 BC on PS6 is likely to be even better.

There is very little value to PS3 BC. Most PS3 games have already been ported, remastered, remade, or followed up on PS4 or PS5.

RoboCain

They probably have some sort of deal for GTA VI and Bloodborne remastered. Otherwise I don't see them getting away with this when most people had problems to even get the original model until not that long ago.

Last edited:
If u cut out the 2 COVID years where no one was working or from work from home this gen basically had 2 years.
And for almost 2 years these consoles were so hard to find and now they are releasing a pro which makes 0 sense

The PS4 Pro launched 3 years after the launch of the PS4.

The PS5 Pro will launch 4 years after the launch of the PS5.

I think that's a pretty adequate delay given the pandemic. People didn't stop working on games, game development just became more difficult and more delayed. PS5s were hard to come by, but the system still sold 10s of millions of units...

They probably have some sort of deal for GTA VI and Bloodborne remastered. Otherwise I don't see them getting away with this when most people had problems to even get the original model until not that long ago.

Since the start of the generation, I purchased probably 7 PS5s for people. It wasn't that hard. If you really wanted a PS5, you could get one pretty easily. Were they available at retail stores the whole time? No, but the amount of people who legit wanted one badly but couldn't get it is being overstated a bit.

RoboCain

Since the start of the generation, I purchased probably 7 PS5s for people. It wasn't that hard. If you really wanted a PS5, you could get one pretty easily. Were they available at retail stores the whole time? No, but the amount of people who legit wanted one badly but couldn't get it is being overstated a bit.
People willing to pay scalper prices probably got one pretty fast I bet. Also, do you really think your experience extends to the rest of the world?

Vroadstar

Lost interest after reading about the CPU.

Sad Happy Hour GIF

Killjoy-NL

There's probably not much point from a developer's perspective, but i'm pretty sure many people would line up to buy the new shiny thing even if improvements don't turn out to be all that noticeable. There are considerable amounts of people buying RTX 4090s for insane prices, they'll buy some enhanced console.
There's as much need for a PS5 Pro as there is for a refrigerator with an ice maker.

Could be cool to have if you want one, but unnecessary.

kikkis

I guess it's nice if base is like 900p and pro gets to 1080p. But that is kind of failed optimization in the first place. People that think pro will enable better graphics from power or ray tracing are delusional.

MarkMe2525

I mean, if there is a market for this to exist, then that is reason enough. Let's be real here, PlayStation as a brand is a behemoth. People will buy whatever allows them to play Sony's games at the highest quality possible, and many of those people are not interested in investing in a powerful PC.

We already have PS5 games with bad perfomance and / or performance, visual modes. There are alraedy games that cant hold a steady framerate.
What do you mean people dont see the point of a more powerful PS5?

Bojji

Anyone that’s played it knows that there’s a big improvement to fidelity and performance by going to PS5 on TLOU2….

PS4 was 30fps only as well

They didn't even upgrade textures (this is what this game needed the most), game is barely any different than PS4 version with 60FPS. Lazy job from ND, they could have make it substantially better.

Mooreberg

PS5 Pro - $499
PS5 reg - $299

thats why
I was thinking along those lines, but not as optimistic. PS5 reg (by which I mean having a disc drive) was $499.99 with a game over the holidays. Recently it has been the slim disc based model with a game for $449.99. I think we are looking at "PS5 reg slim" with a game for $399.99 this holiday. Hopefully, PS5 Pro is $499.99, I think $599.99 would be met with indifference beyond the initial hyper enthusiast crowd. Either way I am glad I have my options open.

The PS4 Pro launched 3 years after the launch of the PS4.

The PS5 Pro will launch 4 years after the launch of the PS5.

I think that's a pretty adequate delay given the pandemic. People didn't stop working on games, game development just became more difficult and more delayed. PS5s were hard to come by, but the system still sold 10s of millions of units...
PS4 pro and one x had a serious reason 4k TVs almost everyone had a 4k TV but PS4 was 1080p

sendit

No, I really haven't. Visuals aren't the only thing that matter. While Zelda BotW and TotK look similar, TotK has added both a Sky and underground map that you can seamlessly traverse. It also has a lot of added physics and some new mechanics.
Kool. All that could have been done on PS3 level hardware at reduced graphical fidelity. With that said, the PS3 from your point of view was never reached its full potential:

Last edited:

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
This is a funny stance in the light of Dradon's Dogma 2 struggling with performance everywhere jusrt about right now.

This is just hypocrisy coming from the said devs. The same devs will blazingly fast switch to Sony's DLSS to cut some optimization corners, let alone additional RT blocks. PS5 Pro is partially here to brute-force the issue with current industry's weak efforts at optimization. Especially in UE4/5 games.

At this point I don't care what people that created strange pieces of core like DD2 or Jedi Survivor think. I think it's good that Sony is giving me at least some hardware option to mitigate low optimization efforts in $70 games.

Radical_3d

They didn't even upgrade textures (this is what this game needed the most), game is barely any different than PS4 version with 60FPS. Lazy job from ND, they could have make it substantially better.
But the point is that this is not what this step consoles are about. They are about lazy implementations that simply up the resolution (and raytracing in the new one). Nobody expects more from an 100€ spec bump and nobody is going to put more effort that that.
PS4 pro and one x had a serious reason 4k TVs almost everyone had a 4k TV but PS4 was 1080p
Rebirth is running well below the 1440 target of the Remake. And it shows. Helldivers is about 1080p with the worst upscaling artefacts ever. Dragon’s Dogma has a very soft image. Spider-Man 2 sits around 1100p as the debug console showed recently. Just to name a few recent examples.

Last edited:

Bojji

This is a funny stance in the light of Dradon's Dogma 2 struggling with performance everywhere jusrt about right now.

This is just hypocrisy coming from the said devs. The same devs will blazingly fast switch to Sony's DLSS to cut some optimization corners, let alone additional RT blocks. PS5 Pro is partially here to brute-force the issue with current industry's weak efforts at optimization. Especially in UE4/5 games.

At this point I don't care what people that created strange pieces of core like DD2 or Jedi Survivor think. I think it's good that Sony is giving me at least some hardware option to mitigate low optimization efforts in $70 games.

You know... devs will quickly find the way to cripple better hardware as well, there were games on PS4 Pro that were running worse than base console, most high profile example is TLoS 2 and ND KNOWS how to code - I think that they just didn't care that much about hardware that was just fraction of PS4 install base. We also have games that run terrible on hardware much more powerful than what Pro will offer... I don't think we will see major shift in that, developers don't have much time (and will?) to optimize their games anymore and even in console market there is constantly new hardware thrown in, games take ~5 years to develop so most things are cross gen or have to have another version for "Pro" console.

Robb

Gold Member
What’s the point?
power remake GIF

I mean, what’s the point of any hardware upgrade? Switch OLED is a slightly better Switch, iPhone 15 is a slightly better iPhone 14.. The point is to be a slightly better version of what’s already available.

Last edited:

gtabro

LOL and most of GAF voted in that poll whether they'll buy a Pro the nanosecond it drops with "I will answer the call".
Listen
I love Sony and a lot of their titles
but I also use my brain and it told me with lookers like TLOU 2 and RDR2 that are LAST gen there's literally no point in bringing a Pro yet so I voted "Nah fam, I'm good" in the same poll.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

LOL and most of GAF voted in that poll whether they'll buy a Pro the nanosecond it drops with "I will answer the call".
Listen
I love Sony and a lot of their titles
but I also use my brain and it told me with lookers like TLOU 2 and RDR2 that are LAST gen there's literally no point in bringing a Pro yet so I voted "Nah fam, I'm good" in the same poll.
Well, I'll buy one, but don't think it's needed.
But I'm part of the target audience.

From a business-perspective though, there is little to gain for Sony, just like those devs supposedly said.

Killjoy-NL

I fell for ps4 pro but not this time. PS5 hasn’t delivered like PS4 did except for faster load times.
We didn't even get proper current-gen games yet that show the capabilities of PS5, except for Spiderman 2.

Also as supposedly been stated by those devs.

Last edited:

Radical_3d

We didn't even get proper current-gen games yet that show the capabilities of PS5, except for Spiderman 2.

Also as supposedly been stated by those devs.
Really, though? It looks like a PS4 game at double the frame rate to me. And I know, I know… speed of travel and all that. But still, from the pure graphical standpoint I’d say something like Demon’s Souls.

b55b76540f6f46a3958ce9298896913d3c406079.gif

Looks like Sony have got another hardware failure on the way, seems like for every success they release something nobody wants, no wonder profits are not high enough.

Killjoy-NL

Really, though? It looks like a PS4 game at double the frame rate to me. And I know, I know… speed of travel and all that. But still, from the pure graphical standpoint I’d say something like Demon’s Souls.

b55b76540f6f46a3958ce9298896913d3c406079.gif
I'm more impressed by Spiderman2 with the speed of travel at 60fps with RT.
Especially since Gaf kept going on about how 60fps with RT was supposedly impossible on PS5.
It's probably why Spiderman 2 won the award for Technical Achievement at the DICE Awards.

We haven't really seen what PS5 can do yet, as we only last year got to the point where we start to see actual current-gen games.

Last edited:

Matt_Fox

It’s not intended to

It’s mainly going to be sold to people upgrading their current PS5

True.

Although if they sell 14 million (like they did with the Ps4 Pro) then the knock-on will be to release a significant number of Ps4s into the second hand market, which I suspect will bring in some first-time owners (less motivated or less affluent consumers) to the eco system.

It makes me question who these developers are if they're claiming they aren't using most of what the current PS5 can offer.
lol, 75%+ of all releases are upscaling at some 800p image with a vaseline smeared performance mode or choppy quality mode. Pick any one of them.

Matt_Fox

I also suspect that some of the naysayers we're hearing from in this thread and others will slowly have their negativity eroded once the Pro is released and game comparisons begin to paint a more compelling picture of why its a worthwhile upgrade.

It may take months it may take a year but sooner or later a game they really care about will spur them on to purchase a Pro to play that game in its best form.

I can't believe there are people in this thread complaining about more options...

The PS5 Pro will be great for PSVR2 owners, it will be a fantastic premium option for gamers that can't be bothered with PC. It offers interesting new features and greater performance in existing games. What's not to like? Those that want it will happily pay the premium, others won't. It's certainly a more attractive option than the truly pointless PS5 not Slim.

Last edited:
Top Bottom