• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 is ‘an obvious progression’ for Dreams, says Creative Director of Media Molecule

EQseH2UXYAYw4jp-768x432.jpg

Bringing Dreams to PlayStation 5 seems like an “obvious progression” if the game is successful on PS4, according to creative director Mark Healey.

Speaking to VGC at a London launch event for the PS4 exclusive, Media Molecule co-founder Healey suggested the developer has an eye on the future, but said he’d like to see the game’s popularity last on PS4 first.

“Obviously at the moment we’re focused on PS4 and I would actually hope that it extends the life of the PS4 to be honest with you, then maybe when other companies start making games for it, the community will carry on making games for it, but if it’s as successful as we hope it is then it’s an obvious progression.

“You know, it’s a platform, so ideally in the future we’ll migrate to whatever is relevant,” Healey continued. “That’s probably about as much as I can say without getting smacked by someone.”

Even if an updated version of Dreams wasn’t to be released for PS5, Sony has said the console will be backwards compatible with PS4 games.

“Well yeah, so I mean it works by default then, doesn’t it, that’s the thing,” Healey said when this was put to him. “I mean, we want to support it going forward, so we want to be there for the full story really.”

During the same interview, Healey said a PC version of Dreams isn’t currently in development, but that he thinks it would be “great” to release one in the future.

“I think that would be cool,” he said. “I mean obviously Sony have an opinion about that but yeah, I think, I don’t know where it’s going to go in the future, I mean it would be great to see that.

“That’s not something that’s happening right now,” he continued, “but I think a lot of that depends on where the games industry goes in general, I suppose.”

Healey added: “I mean I think Sony have become more open recently to publishing stuff on the PC in general anyway, haven’t they? Isn’t there some stuff that’s happening, I’m not sure?”

It was claimed last month that Sony will release PlayStation 4 exclusive Horizon Zero Dawn for PC in 2020.

Dreams is billed as “a platform where you can create anything you can imagine, then share it with the world using just your PS4”.

It releases for Sony’s console on February 14, although the full title has been available to purchasers of the Early Access version since Tuesday.

Media Molecule said in December that it has “some really cool stuff planned for post-launch”, with the studio actively working on PlayStation VR support for Dreams, among other features.

Top Bottom