• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Tech Demo Detailed, Called 'Hugely Impressive'

Darius87

I never said sony did. Ea/ubi said that. Sony played the good game of not talking about specs as they knew how cheap ps4 had to be made.
what do you mean not talking? we knew ps4 spec when it was released.
also parts cost much cheaper to sony, and it's console of course it's cheap.

Mr.Allan

Neo Member
what do you mean not talking?
they never said it's "SO GOOD" they only talked about their unique added stuff which works compared to xbox. They never compared it to any modern intel cpu or amd/nvidia gpu. That's what I meant. But 3rd party companies for some reason tried to pretend sony made a better machine.

Last edited:

Darius87

they never said it's "SO GOOD" they only talked about their unique added stuff which works compared to xbox. They never compared it to any modern intel cpu or amd/nvidia gpu. That's what I meant.
what's the point of comparing to pc gpu? we knew the spec already.
But 3rd party companies for some reason tried to pretend sony made a better machine.
better then what?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
This is a concise post on the PS4 and AMD back in 2012/13 and can get an idea for 2020, possibly.

Thank you, I was waiting for someone to bring this up :) Common misconception (at least for PS4). More education:

Most people assume the PS4 GPU was a scaled down 7870 desktop which released in March 2012 and was only the 2nd fastest card AMD made (the fastest was the 7970). In fact, the PS4 was actually based on the mobile GPU variant called the 7970M which initially released on the PC in April 2012. That card was the absolute fastest mobile card AMD produced and it was in fact based on the full 7870 desktop silicon. If you look at the specs you will see that it is indeed virtually identical to the known PS4 GPU sans the PS4 GPU being even more underclocked from 850 to 800 Mhz. Now even though the PS4 did not release until Nov 2013, that 7970M card was still the fastest mobile card AMD manufactured at the time of the PS4 release! In fact, if you look at the history, AMD did not make another faster mobile GPU until the R9 M295X which didn't release until Nov 2014. This was essentially the mobile version of the 7970 desktop card but it came too late to be included in the PS4 (and was also way too power hungry to be in a console).

So contrary to popular belief, Sony included the absolute best and fastest card available at that time considering AMD's roadmap, PS4 release schedule, and thermal considerations for the console. In fact, if you know about computer hardware and thermals than you will know why it the PS4 HAD to include the mobile version. In short, AMD GPUs at that time were not very power effecient. GPUs in a console typically need to be < 100W TDP in order to be practical given the thermal and cooling limitations in a console. The desktop 7970 GPU released with a TDP of 250W which is absolutely not practical for a console. Even the desktop 7870 GPU had a TDP 175W which again is not practical given that the total TDP for the console is less than 150W. However, AMD was able to make a mobile variant of the 7870 with a TDP of only 75W, perfect for a console. Again this was the absolutely fastest card that was feasible up until the PS4 released in Nov 2013.

People always want to talk about the PS4 being so "underpowered" at launch but if you know that facts and what it takes to build a console from a hardware standpoint, Sony did the best they could given what AMD had available. But the focus for the PS4 (and Xbox One) wasn't on pure power, it was on developer ease and convenience. The real change was the move to x86 architecture on the CPU and again the Jaguar was the only thing AMD had available that could "fit" in a console form factor at that time (the AMD desktop parts were way too big and power hungry).

However, AMD is NOT the same company today that it was in 2012/2013. They have a wide range of highly competitive CPUs and will be releasing a wide range of highly competitive GPUs in the coming year. Not just in raw performance, but more important in terms of efficiency.

Also, the priorities of the console manufactures are different this time around. While the PS4 and Xbox One were mostly about removing barriers for developers, both Sony and Microsoft have made it clear that PS5 and Scarlett will be about pushing the boundaries of gaming. Having announced a GPU with 8K, 120fps, and ray-tracing capabilities says that they will definitely be significantly more powerful than the current RX 5700. If you look back, the PS4 and Xbox One GPU didn't really offer anything "new" at the time (except for ACE units on PS4). There were no marketing buzzwords to highlight advanced features and in fact all Sony could say was that it was a "super charged" PC.

Microsoft focused on software and UX features for Xbox One as part of their defocus on gaming initially. They paid the price and are hell bent on making sure they are technically competitive from day one with Scarlett. The difference in power between the two will be extremely small, probably smaller than any other previous generation.

So again if you think that the next consoles will ship with AMD Navi GPUs equivalent to the current RX 5700, then you are surely mistaken and you will see in due time!

Last edited:

Mr.Allan

Neo Member
better then what?
SUPERCHARGED PC, so much power, graphics NEVER seen before, SO MUCH cpu power - and as it turned out it's very weak ass pc; and for the first time ever console holders released mid gen upgrade argumenting(sony at least) that normally console overs switch to pc machines during regular mid gen cycle.

Darius87

SUPERCHARGED PC, so much power, graphics NEVER seen before, SO MUCH cpu power - and as it turned out it's very weak ass pc;
they never claimed what's in bold, you just made that up, they might compared it to ps3.
there no such thing as supercharged pc only overclocked, but it's still different things.
and for the first time ever console holders released mid gen upgrade argumenting(sony at least) that normally console overs switch to pc machines during regular mid gen cycle.
Pro was released for 4K gaming not because ps4 wasn't powerful enough.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
they never claimed what's in bold, you just made that up, they might compared it to ps3.
there no such thing as supercharged pc only overclocked, but it's still different things.

Pro was released for 4K gaming not because ps4 wasn't powerful enough.

I remember this from MS.

D-TJXGCUwAEy3F8.jpg

And this from Sony:

But nothing to that projection the user was saying.

Last edited:

Mr.Allan

Neo Member
Last edited:

Darius87

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

One is Watch Dogs, the other Konami. Not Sony.

And he did prove it with 1080p/60 in an open world MG game.

This is all Sony said:

And I revert back to this post for the reality of the situation in 2102/13.

Last edited:

Darius87

SURE they never did.
i mean sony not 3party devs how can i rermember what 3rd party devs have to say about ps4? i'm not supercharged like you are.

Astral Dog

Im sure it was exciting but what else could be said? "oh, it was minimally impressive' or " it wasn't impressive at all i was somewhat bored 😪"

Not much to go on, anyways next gen shaping well

It was actually the PS1 tech demo (which really impressed prospective third parties at the time):

Of course, the 3D graphics in actual games never reached this level. Here is the Tomb Raider T-Rex for comparison:

TatteredBouncyInexpectatumpleco-size_restricted.gif

It's a good reminder not to believe all the hype as we enter a new gen (although it's fine to be excited, of course).

Yeah and then remember when we played Metal Gear Solid, Gran Turismo, and Vagrant Story on the same console?

Tomb Raider is a terrible comparison considering not only is it also rendering a level, character, and game logic in addition to the dinosaur, it came out in like 1996.
None of which look nearly as good as that demo. Of course actual games (such as Tomb Raider) need to compute many other things too, which is precisely why I cautioned against getting too hyped about demos. The comparison of what can be achieved in a demo and what can realistically be achieved in an actual game was very apt, considering they both include T-Rex models.

That tomb raider demo is first gen stuff.

The psone had t rexes in other games and they looked much closer

Darius87

That's why I said sony never said ps4 is supercharged, you asked, I replied now you say I'm stupid?

just as ps4 with jaguars are super pcs? man sony only buys that technology, it's already here and we have it. yes. we're rich enough to buy m2 drives (it's cheaper now)
supercharged in 2013 it's exactly what it was that meaning it performs much better at equalent pc spec, because it's supercharged not super get it?

p.s i never said you are stupid. but keep making stuff up, your good at it.

CyberPanda

Banned
I won't believe a fucking thing at E3 from either company unless they are gameplay demos. Even then, they will be full of shit until it's on my TV.
Pretty much. Both companies are guilty of smoke and mirrors. I also love it how SSD is some sort of new amazing tech. When it’s been in the PC space for years lmao.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Pretty much. Both companies are guilty of smoke and mirrors. I also love it how SSD is some sort of new amazing tech. When it’s been in the PC space for years lmao.

Noone is saying it is some new tech. How they are going to utilize it, their setup, will more than likely be different.

PC gamers should be excited, since consoles are always the baseline pushing gaming and the PC forward. Having SSDs as the baseline, will be great for PC gamers who have them, to take advantage of as well. Right now, 5400RPM mechanical SATA is the baseline.

Having the highest spec consoles as possible, will allow PCs to take advantage of higher spec as well.

Last edited:

Mr.Allan

Neo Member
PC gamers should be excited, since consoles are always the baseline pushing gaming and the PC forward. Having SSDs as the baseline, will be great for PC gamers who have them, to take advantage of as well. Right now, 5400RPM mechanical SATA is the baseline.
I realise it will take years to fully abandon current gen machines... But do you think major publishers will somehow enforce using SSD or else abandon milions of pc users just because of that new tech(ps5, not ssd)? I mean it's not like main storage should be the main selling point but since reveal it kinda is...

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I realise it will take years to fully abandon current gen machines... But do you think major publishers will somehow enforce using SSD or else abandond milions of pc users just because of that new tech(ps5, not ssd)? I mean it's not like main storage should be the main selling point but since reveal it's kinda is...

Who said anything about abandon? What are you even concern trolling about?

Mr.Allan

Neo Member
Who said anything about abandon? What are you even concern trolling about?
I mean if really ps5 turns to be using somewhat better ssd than most pcs, will that mean that most pc games will be watered down? I mean if you think that could happen bcos most multiplatform games are build with x1 limitiations in mind so now we will have ps5 users calling pc hdds users a pleb for their storage option? Just a random thought, not trolling or anything. Recall when activision tried to enforce 6gb of ram in cod ghost.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I mean if really ps5 turns to be using somewhat better ssd than most pcs, will that mean that most pc games will be watered down? I mean if you think that could happen bcos most multiplatform games are build with x1 limitiations in mind so now we will have ps5 users calling pc hdds users a pleb for their storage option? Just a random thought, not trolling or anything. Recall when activision tried to enforce 6gb of ram in cod ghost.

It will mean that are able to take advantage of SSDs in the PC. Right now, games are not developed with SSDs in mind, so the performance differences are not that drastic over mechanical drives, especially on the PC. The consoles making it a baseline, should then improve performance for those with SSDs, and yes, third party game makers will still keep mechanical in mind as well. Games will just take longer to load in comparison, naturally.

This as example:

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
SSDs haven't been incorporated into a game's development on PC though

Mr.Allan

Neo Member
SSDs haven't been incorporated into a game's development on PC though
just a though. On PC you have slow hdds 5400 somewhat worse than what you can find on consoles, hdds, fast hdds and ultra fast ssd/etc. Do you honestly think that loading witcher's 3 map in 10sec compared to 70 seconds on ps4 isn't "incorporated"?

Last edited:
These things always come out after announcing new hardware. Yes it will look better. Keep hype in check though. Gamers are the worst for keeping hype in check.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
According to the post, the game that Kleegamefan saw the demo of was so visually stunning that it's difficult to put the quality of the graphics and physics engines to words, thanks to both the game's engine and the PlayStation 5's incredibly powerful SSD.
lol what? Does he know what a SSD is there for?

Keihart

Sounds cool and all but, pics or it didn't happen.
Such a soft dick announcement for the PS5 still, all because they want to save the hype for closer to release...meh

GymWolf

We will believe it again, because "THIS TIME" it will be real.

Looking at this in 2013 and saying, but this isn't Motorstorm or Killzone, this is real-time, we can count the pixels :messenger_grinning_sweat:

giphy.gif
onestly this gif is not really that impressive anymore.
the dragon scene is far more impressive.

Matt_Fox

A rising tide lifts all ships.

I'm a console gamer AND a PC gamer, and am balanced enough to say the next gen of consoles will dramatically raise the bar for new titles available to PC gamers too. It's not like PC gamers have been living the 'next gen' life for the past two years, and PS5 owners are about to join in. Anyone presenting that is disingenuous. Yes, multi-platform titles can have superior FPS on a high end PC but to see a difference between the graphical bells and whistles from a One X or a Pro you really have to reach.

In about 13 months you'll see what next gen REALLY looks like, and it's not PC gaming circa 2017.

Top Bottom