• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5/XSX/Steam versions of Resident Evil 7, Resident Evil 2, and Resident Evil 3 launch today

I've seen some people say the 60fps and 120fps modes are identical IQ wise but there definitely seems to be a difference in clarity and ambient occlusion (but good luck noticing without a side by side I guess). There may be cutbacks elsewhere but nothing stands out as being really bad. The 120fps mode is very nice and feels great (with VRR at least).

92Ns0GL.jpg

0TaRh5M.jpg

OhVRByo.gif

Caio

You can see it on the side by side posted in this thread, it’s quite obvious once you see it on bright areas like white vertical edges. Possible causes, XsX is running lower base rez or cheaper reconstruction or cheaper AA solution.
Understood. I'm wodering how this is even possible, the two versions should be nearly identical, at least this is what I was expecting. Someone here said the XSX seems to have better "performance" = runs smoother; I will play the Game now anyway, but honestly I'm surprised to hear that about the "jaggies", and the side by side posted in the thread.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I've seen some people say the 60fps and 120fps modes are identical IQ wise but there definitely seems to be a difference in clarity and ambient occlusion (but good luck noticing without a side by side I guess). There may be cutbacks elsewhere but nothing stands out as being really bad. The 120fps mode is very nice and feels great (with VRR at least).

92Ns0GL.jpg

0TaRh5M.jpg

OhVRByo.gif
This is very nice.
The difference is so little that I honestly wished they would just combine it in one mode... Why have 2 reduntand modes in this case

assurdum

Banned
Ok tried finally this patch update on ps5. and I can say I'm extremely piss off. The only mode worth to mention is the 120 fps mode, seems quite smooth and stable and IQ seems the same of the raytracing mode . But outside that, the other two mode are not that worthy and seems a such lazy effort to me. I thought with raytracing this game goes at worst to 40 fps and occasionally as RE8, but I seen drops around 30 fps without any kind of doubt and just because the area is too much open or "complex". Just no no no. Tried without raytracing, outside a sharper appareance of the character and probably a better clean imagine (not even so noticeable, cromatic aberration is so aggressive which is hard to see the higher resolution)I barely spot any perceivable graphical improvement, far the contrary. I still see the same flaws on ps4 pro as the horrid SSR; like the fuck is possible SSR has the same resolution setting of the ps4 pro on ps5? Just how capcom? I can't stand such effect is literally everywhere in the surface, it's hard to not notice a broken reflection with missing pixels. Meh they just switched the resolution, the fps and the raytracing, that's it, what enhancement is that if they even cared to optimize properly the fps smoothness and the other raw graphic setting.

Last edited:
I tested re7, re2 on ps5 and re3 on series x-

Re2 on ps5 looks like shit in both modes and they made the GAMMA issue even worse!

Re3 thougj looks incredible on series x, though the framerate isn't perfect. But if you have a VRR TV you're golden.

Re7 looks fine but I don't recommend playing with RT because I couldn't see much, if any, rt reflections anyway.

Re2 though..? What happened?

Tried RE7 on ps5, still no 3d audio with headphones. You can select 3d audio, but the option to use headphones with it is greyed out, you have to use surround option - and can confirm sound is just stereo on headphones this way. This was a bug with the ps4 version, was hoping they would fix it.
Fuck ...they were even advertising these next gen versions as having 3d audio ..wth

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Ok tried finally this patch update on ps5. and I can say I'm extremely piss off. The only mode worth to mention is the 120 fps mode, seems quite smooth and stable and IQ seems the same of the raytracing mode . But outside that, the other two mode are not that worthy and seems a such lazy effort to me. I thought with raytracing this game goes at worst to 40 fps and occasionally as RE8, but I seen drops around 30 fps without any kind of doubt and just because the area is too much open or "complex". Just no no no. Tried without raytracing, outside a sharper appareance of the character and probably a better clean imagine (not even so noticeable, cromatic aberration is so aggressive which is hard to see the higher resolution)I barely spot any perceivable graphical improvement, far the contrary. I still see the same flaws on ps4 pro as the horrid SSR; like the fuck is possible SSR has the same resolution setting of the ps4 pro on ps5? Just how capcom? I can't stand such effect is literally everywhere in the surface, it's hard to not notice a broken reflection with missing pixels. Meh they just switched the resolution, the fps and the raytracing, that's it, what enhancement is that if they even cared to optimize properly the fps smoothness and the other raw graphic setting.

Turn both RT and High FPS off and you can enjoy the cleaner 60 FPS mode at basically rock solid.

Vick

Very interesting comparison. Apparently IQ on PS5 RT Off is night and day compared to Pro version also because of the much higher resolution now. Screen Space reflections on RT Off are surprisingly also improved, even if not enough, and loading times in general stupidly increased.

IQ differences between PS5 and Series X are also pretty apparent in this video.

RT On not worthy without VRR so i'll just play with RT Off until PS5 Pro or something, but this is still a very welcome upgrade to me.

RE7 looks very different in general in both modes compared to last gen versions.

Re2 on ps5 looks like shit in both modes and they made the GAMMA issue even worse!
Game looks stunning in both modes on my end, so not true at all. Change your settings.

Riky

$MSFT

Very interesting comparison. Apparently IQ on PS5 RT Off is night and day compared to Pro version also because of the much higher resolution now. Screen Space reflections on RT Off are surprisingly also improved, even if not enough, and loading times in general stupidly increased.

RT On not worthy without VRR so i'll just play with RT Off until PS5 Pro or something, but this is still a very welcome upgrade to me.

RE7 looks very different in general in both modes compared to last gen versions.

Game looks stunning in both modes on my end, so not true at all. Change your settings.

Looks like Series X is hitting that 4k almost all the time in every mode, great framerate in the 120fps mode for both Series X and Series S which is also doing a great job, massive step up from One X version.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I tested re7, re2 on ps5 and re3 on series x-

Re3 thougj looks incredible on series x, though the framerate isn't perfect. But if you have a VRR TV you're golden.

Re7 looks fine but I don't recommend playing with RT because I couldn't see much, if any, rt reflections anyway.

Re2 though..? What happened?
Rt don’t make gamma issues worse.
It’s just colour grading of the first few rooms.

Filben

No DualSense support at all on PC. :(

FSR 1 even on high quality looks bad and ruined image quality doesn't justify additional visual effects if the GPU can't handle it. Turned FSR off. This game needs DLSS/FSR2 (as almost every game IMO).

Reduced shadows from max to high, RT reflections on high and GI on low because the difference of the latter is barely or not noticeable but cost a shit ton of fps.

Runs around 60fps at 1440p now on a 2070S with some dips below that is caught by VRR.

What is RT doing on the PC? Couldn't be bothered to install them if it's just shadows.
Shadows aren't raytraced at all. You still have some alignment issues with the shadows. Reflections and light is ray traced and it looks real good!

Last edited:

Shmunter

Surprising how much superior the ps5 iq is compared to X. Res counts are the same so it’s either a higher reconstruction base or superior AA.

Whatever it is it’s evidently more intense based on lower fps. Although locked 60 mode is the best choice anyway.

Last edited:

Skifi28

RT performance in RE2/3 is pretty disappointing on consoles and there are few scenes in the game that really benefit from it, seems like wasted effort.

hlm666

No DualSense support at all on PC. :(

FSR 1 even on high quality looks bad and ruined image quality doesn't justify additional visual effects if the GPU can't handle it. Turned FSR off. This game needs DLSS/FSR2 (as almost every game IMO).

Reduced shadows from max to high, RT reflections on high and GI on low because the difference of the latter is barely or not noticeable but cost a shit ton of fps.

Runs around 60fps at 1440p now on a 2070S with some dips below that is caught by VRR.

Shadows aren't raytraced at all. You still have some alignment issues with the shadows. Reflections and light is ray traced and it looks real good!
Yeh I had a quick look and noticed straight away the shadows still float in the air in that weird way, and if there is raytraced GI it doesn't effect the torch so the rooms/area is still unnaturally dark when the torch is blasting out a light circle on a wall a projector would be proud of. That was RE2 anyway I didn't look at 7 and don't have 3.

assurdum

Banned

Absolutely not. SSR is exactly the same of ps4 pro on ps5, same noisy mess with missing pixels. Personally I can't even praise the better IQ in 60 fps mode because I'm i incredibly distracted to the offensive SSR which is still there. The only decent boost in the graphic is with raytracing but perfomance are not worthy.

Last edited:

Vick

Absolutely not. SSR is exactly the same of ps4 pro on ps5
Go check 2:25 in the video and then come back.

, same noisy mess with missing pixels. Personally I can't even praise the better IQ in 60 fps mode because I'm i incredibly distracted to the offensive SSR which is still there.
Is it still noisy (and offensive, i agree)? Yes. Is it AS noisy as it was on PS4 Pro? No, it's just a little bit better and that's easily seen on the rainy rooftop before Mr. X fist appearance.

The only decent boost in the graphic is with raytracing but perfomance are not worthy.
Nah, even RT Off offers a more than decent boost.

assurdum

Banned
Go check 2:25 in the video and then come back.

Is it still noisy (and offensive, i agree)? Yes. Is it AS noisy as it was on PS4 Pro? No, it's just a little bit better and that's easily seen on the rainy rooftop before Mr. X fist appearance.

Nah, even RT Off offers a more than decent boost.
Go to check 6:22 the police hall in the same video:
when SSR reflections are broken on pro, are still broken on ps5. The hilarious thing is SSR work better on ps4 in the police hall than ps5, which is really ridiculous.

Last edited:

Shmunter

when SSR reflections are broken on pro, are still broken on ps5. The hilarious thing is SSR work better on ps4 in the police hall than ps5, which is really ridiculous.

It may just be a cube map without ssr on ps4, whereas the stair lattice is projected (poorly) on the higher end machines. Having played a couple of hrs on pro previously, I cannot recall it being prolific throughout.

assurdum

Banned
It may just be a cube map without ssr on ps4, whereas the stair lattice is projected (poorly) on the higher end machines. Having played a couple of hrs on pro previously, I cannot recall it being prolific throughout.
No it's because the resolution is reconstructed and SSR just reflect the real time pixels. ps4 is native so it hasn't such glitch. But it's ridiculous capcom can't prevent such issue.

Last edited:

skneogaf

If the dynamic resolution was more aggressive, would it fix the performance issues with ray tracing on? On consoles I mean.

I think 60fps is absolutely fine for resident evil games so even I've set mine to 60fps on my 3090ti as the complete silence is bliss so 4k@60fps ray tracing and maximum graphics plus dolby atmos now on all three of these games is absolutely amazing!

assurdum

Banned
If the dynamic resolution was more aggressive, would it fix the performance issues with ray tracing on? On consoles I mean.

I think 60fps is absolutely fine for resident evil games so even I've set mine to 60fps on my 3090ti as the complete silence is bliss so 4k@60fps ray tracing and maximum graphics plus dolby atmos now on all three of these games is absolutely amazing!
Yeah if it was Guerrilla. But doubt capcom can handle marvelous lower DRS IQ has Guerrilla. Their tech are more raw. One can hope in FSR2 of amd in their engine.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Yes, I can confirm with first hand testing that even on the series X if you turn the ray tracing off, you revert back to the broken SSR like the last generation One X and PS4 Pro. They have made no fix or adjustment to that unfortunately.

Vick

when SSR reflections are broken on pro, are still broken on ps5.
No it's because the resolution is reconstructed and SSR just reflect the real time pixels. ps4 is native so it hasn't such glitch. But it's ridiculous capcom can't fix it.
Yes, but LESS than on PS4 Pro. Likely because base resolution before reconstruction is higher. If you really haven't notice a, if even slight, difference while playing you haven't paid enough attention.
I'm personally satisfied already: this issue is totally absent on RT Mode of course, which was the main effort put in this patch, and for free outside of RT we still got a night and day difference in image quality and some additional (not broken) reflections.

If i really have to complain about something, is that they haven't fixed this:

Video is from PS4 Pro but i just reached the same area on PS5 and it's the same. Didn't make any sense before and it's even more absurd now.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I’m replaying RE2R on PS5. Outside of the super fast load times, I’m not noticing a big difference with ray tracing turned on. I thought the PS4 version looked good, but I’m having a hard time noticing the major changes on the PS5. Maybe the textures and stuff looks better? I also thought the lighting was good back on PS4.

adamsapple

I’m replaying RE2R on PS5. Outside of the super fast load times, I’m not noticing a big difference with ray tracing turned on. I thought the PS4 version looked good, but I’m having a hard time noticing the major changes on the PS5. Maybe the textures and stuff looks better? I also thought the lighting was good back on PS4.
Fixing the broken reflections is the biggest major update, you can check it immediately in the main hall of the RPD.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Well I own them on Xbox sounds hopefully they cab patch that version if it looks worse than ps5. There's no reason for the series x to look worse. Maybe a direct x 12 thing.

Gonna jump into my first resi 3 playthrough soon, but maybe I should wait for a patch if it's not as good as ps5.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
I tried RE2, it looks almost exactly like the PS4 version. I don't understand what the fuss is all about.

Reinstalled RE2 and threw on the ray tracing mode. Eh, ok?! Not impressed at all. The native presentation at 60fps
looks much better and runs super smooth. The ray tracing just TANKS the frame rate but you get some nice reflections. /rolls eyes
As for the dual sense support, nothing special.

Perhaps the other games benefit from the patches but RE2 is a let down IMO.

adamsapple

Well I own them on Xbox sounds hopefully they cab patch that version if it looks worse than ps5. There's no reason for the series x to look worse. Maybe a direct x 12 thing.

Gonna jump into my first resi 3 playthrough soon, but maybe I should wait for a patch if it's not as good as ps5.

I have no idea what difference shmunter and vick are talking about lol, they look virtually identical in the comparisons

1unkt8.png

21vjsn.png

3xdkfa.png

skneogaf

Where have you got the idea that the playstation version is better than the xbox version?

Both are extremely close performance wise and look identical pretty much?

Top Bottom