• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pseudoregalia: Addictive traversal mechanics wrapped in N64 aesthetics.

Wonko_C

I found out about this gem of a game in one of the indie game review channels I'm subbed to. For a game that was supposedly made in 1 month it has very fine-tuned controls.

Retro throwback 32/64 bit graphics is not something I have any nostalgia for (I'd rather have 16-bit 2D), despite that, I find it adds to the atmosphere (the music helps a lot too).

It's also dirt cheap at $7, played for 5 hours and haven't finished it yet. I am probably 2/3rds through, judging by the amount of power ups I am still missing.

Last edited:

Griffon

While the environment are absolutely my jam (it looks like Castlevania 64), what the actual fuck is that main character?! What got through the dev's mind to put his OC fursona straight outta Deviant Art into a retro N64 game? This is a huge artstyle whiplash and I'm just not into it.

Last edited:

MagnesD3

I can understand nostalgia for 8-bit and 16bit graphics. But n64? That was the ugliest gen
I love it because I dont give a shit about realism, the worlds of that era look so alien and disturbing. I also am always impressed when they made those strange looking worlds seem real because of how well done the games were, like with Metal Gear Solid for example.

Last edited:

Holammer

What's with the people rejecting it for the "goat babe"?
I saw it trending a few days ago, with its 98% user score I had to give it a go and was pleasantly surprised. The main character like Undertale's Toriel is without doubt furry fanart bait with the breedable hips, bust and tiny waist. But shouldn't we welcome a little sex appeal in games these days? When western devs refuse to have conventionally attractive main characters.

darrylgorn

Ryan Reynolds Reaction GIF

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
unlike most of these, it really does look like the hardware it is calling back to (except for draw distance), but the furry MC is an instant pass for me.
But it doesn't, way to sharp, AA-Filtering, to much draw distance and a way to high framerate do not make it look like a N64 game at all.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
Why is that?
I'm not asking for the game to be as bad as N64 games. I just argued that it does not "really [...] look like the hardware it is calling back to".
the art, simple textures, boxy construction of the world, etc. - all look N64. The draw distance doesn't as I pointed out. Yea of course it's not super low res and super bad framerate, because it's 2023. It looks like an emulated N64 game if that helps you.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
More movement platformers is always a good thing. We need faster platformers these days especially since the only AAA company consistently making them likes them slow and simple.

And yeah, the N64 aesthetics are spot on. Low polycounts, smeared textures, blocky geometry.... it hits on all fronts.

I'm more interested in The Big Catch and Penny's Big Break for those types of games but the former doesn't have a confirmed release date and the latter is 2024.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
the only issue i have is the name. How the fuck am I gonna tell people "Yeah, I'm playing Pseudoregalia, fun game"

Indie games get stupid with naming schemes sometimes but at least none of them were genuine tongue twisters. This is Square Enix levels of bad naming

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
What's up with animation framerate?
yeah i noticed that too: choppy animation for the main character's movements

I think that's also meant to be a call back to n64, where some games would have movement not interpolated for 3d animations. OOT is a prime example of this though you probably didn't notice because the entire game had a choppy framerate

Last edited:

Holammer

What's up with animation framerate?
There's an option to get smooth animation, I like the keyframe focus it gives the animation.
It reminds me of pre-Lucelin Everquest where they did not have skeleton animation yet. That's how it looked as they had a strict budget on polycount and the amount of individual frames/models used.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I can understand nostalgia for 8-bit and 16bit graphics. But n64? That was the ugliest gen

It really was… it technically might have been more powerful than the PlayStation but the none filtered ps textures definitely
Looked cleaner.

Fuz

Banned
While the environment are absolutely my jam (it looks like Castlevania 64), what the actual fuck is that main character?! What got through the dev's mind to put his OC fursona straight outta Deviant Art into a retro N64 game? This is a huge artstyle whiplash and I'm just not into it.
It's sad that we're at the point where any anthropomorphic character is seen as a "furry".

Porticus

these guys would hate to be platformer fans in the 90s.

"Where's the human platformers! It's all Sonic, Bubsy, Banjo, Spyro, Conker, furry junk!"

This is a retarded reply, the furry design is completely different than all those character you talked about.

Try again.

Wonko_C

There is a low-res filter and you can cap the frame rate at 30 to get it closer to an N64 look. But honestly I prefer to play at 4K@120fps even if there isn't really any detail to solve.

Speaking of detal, while I respect everyone's opinions, I don't get the turn-off for the character, there's plenty of non-human characters in gaming (this one reminds me of Klonoa a lot), so I don't get what's different about this one. They're all extraterrestrials to me. (And its face somehow looks like Cloud's chibi model from FF7)🤣

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
There is a low-res filter and you can cap the frame rate at 30 to get it closer to an N64 look. But honestly I prefer to play at 4K@120fps even if there isn't really any detail to solve.

20fps would be more accurate for N64!

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
This is a retarded reply, the furry design is completely different than all those character you talked about.
they're all still anthro characters that either walk or talk like a human. hence furry.

20fps would be more accurate for N64!
yes it's more accurate, many N64 games ran like that. That's why all the N64 games are getting reverse engineered and ported to PC. :messenger_grinning_squinting:

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
But honestly I prefer to play at 4K@120fps even if there isn't really any detail to solve.
Even if it doesn't reveal much detail, a cleaner image is simply easier on the eyes. not to mention easier to spot stuff in the distance

Last edited:

hyperbertha

not gonna lie the latest ratchet game looked kind of weird to me, but in general no. you can tell when people are intentionally going for a "furry" look, don't act like you can't.
Hmm it seems you seem to consider furry only when there is some form of sexualization. But I don't think that was the agenda here. Dev seems truly interested in a quality game.

Holammer

Maybe it's worth an entirely new thread, but PseudoRegalia had a Map update (+ some misc other stuff) a few days ago and in the update info the developer mentions almost in passing how the game reached 100k copies sold back in February.

The game, as of last month, broke 100k sales, and that's something I'm honestly still having trouble processing. I really didn't imagine our dinky little jam game would connect with so many people and I'm SO happy that I can now work on games full time because of it. The feedback, the streams, the fanart, it's all just been crazyl!!

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Maybe it's worth an entirely new thread, but PseudoRegalia had a Map update (+ some misc other stuff) a few days ago and in the update info the developer mentions almost in passing how the game reached 100k copies sold back in February.
"I can now work on games full time because of it."

I want a sequel with improved combat mechanics, music and visuals plz and thank you

Holammer

"I can now work on games full time because of it."

I want a sequel with improved combat mechanics, music and visuals plz and thank you
Guy's been working on a "real game" for some time, it's kinda crazy how something cobbled together for a Game Jam for fun, ended up becoming so popular on Itch he put it up for sale and earned a couple of $100k.

Game in question is Electrokinetic, a 3D platformer with rogue-like mechanics.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Guy's been working on a "real game" for some time, it's kinda crazy how something cobbled together for a Game Jam for fun, ended up becoming so popular on Itch he put it up for sale and earned a couple of $100k.

Game in question is Electrokinetic, a 3D platformer with rogue-like mechanics.

the rogue like thing turned me off instantly.... besides that it looks kind of rough, and unfinished. the cyber aesthetic feels more like an excuse not to make more visually cohesive, finished evironments. This feels like something that should be tacked on as a DLC/Update to Psuedoregalia rather than his first "real" project which looks more underwhelming than his game jam idea

I hope after this he works on something more interesting.

Last edited:
Top Bottom