• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN Hack Update: FAQs in OP, Read before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huff

Banned
Shambles said:
So we can't even log into our PSN accounts to see if we had a CC linked that might have been ripped off?

Nope, so you better check (or call) to see if any charges have occurred recently. Getting a new card wouldn't be a bad idea either.

With how huge identity theft is nowadays, credit card companies have become good at this.

GodofWine

Blu_LED said:
Seeing as a total of zero people have reported odd charges on their credit cards over these past fews days, you would have to assume they didn't get them, right?

yes, thats a fair assumption, but remain vigilant.

Trevelyon

Dark Schala said:
What fucking incompetence. It took them long enough.

Realistically you should've had hawk eyes on your CC (virtual) statements from day one, you can't wait for these bumble fucks to get their arse in gear.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Interfectum said:
dumb question but could this possibly effect your netflix, hulu and steam accounts? would it be possible for them to obtain that information?
I guess it depends where they are stored.

KJTB

I'll be buying MS's next console over Sony's now, Sony has lost my trust. So yeah this is a pretty big blow to their reputation.

Dizzy

Banned
Nice to finally get the info. Obviously this is a lot worse than the rumours suggested. Makes perfect sense why PSN is down. lol at the conspiracy theorists in the first few days.

Whether Sony had weak security or not, there are many, many companies out there that have been hacked. Can't believe people are saying "fuck you Sony".

Anyway I checked my bank account earlier today and I'm good so far. No bogus emails either. Gonna change my password as soon as PSN is back.

StuBurns

Banned
I've never had any issue like this before, are things like iTunes/Steam/Amazon etc more reliable to have my details saved in?

iFootball

Well, considering that unknown transaction last week in my Credit Card, cancelling my credit card yesterday was the best thing I could've done... it's also good that I'm moving in the next month or so, considering they probably have my address too...

rpg_poser

IF I was a thief who was looking to pull off something like this, the timing is pretty good. Right on the heels of the Geo_Hot legal escapade and Anonymous DDOS attacks.... makes a decent smoke screen...

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Balb said:
Are passwords encrypted or no?
They can't be, or they would have to be saved with the decryption key.

The industry standard is that the passwords are hashed with individual salts.
This means that there is a secret saved a long with the password. On login you get that secret, combine with your password. Send them a computated value based on that and if it matches the computation on the server you are granted access.

Many companies don't use this. And it always gets known whenever such a leak occurs.
Now we can only hope that Sony does.

The next best thing is a secret that is saved a long with all users, which means finding the password of users is one big computation for all, instead of one big computation for each individual user.

All in total: Change your passwords if you use the same for other services.

KJTB

SalsaShark said:
I dont know i think Sony is a pretty cool guy, eh bad security maesures and doesnt afraid of anything..

I reread my post and edited it because it's silly. You're too quick for me :p

rogue74

dLMN8R said:
You know what? Yeah, fuck that hacker, but fuck you too Sony, you incompetent piece of crap company. How the hell do you screw everything up from a random number generator to having a competent web security back-end? Just plain irresponsibility.

Exactly how I feel.

Sony should have brought in a security company to audit their network infrastructure long before this happened to protect against this sort of thing. Completely irresponsible.

anddo0

Good thing PSN was rejecting my CC info. I've since deleted my CC info and have been using PSN cards exclusively. Still though, to think that my info is out there, is quite sickening. If anyone decided to walk away now. I wouldn't blame them (thinking of doing the same). Sony should have came forward LAST WEEK! Never have I seen such an epic screw up by a company as big as Sony. If they get sued, it's well deserved.

JWong

Banned
subversus said:
lol @ people in this thread.

yeah, sue them. Also sue preemptively every other company in the world, because there are no firewalls that couldn't be breached.
Yeah, seriously. People overreacting.

If all of you guys are so paranoid, you should never have credit cards because it's never safe. Next thing you know, all web browsers are breached and entering your CC anywhere is compromised.

stilgar

subversus said:
lol @ people in this thread.

yeah, sue them. Also sue preemptively every other company in the world, because there are no firewalls that couldn't be breached.

Yeah, because it's totally about what could happen. This is real : the leak is there.

Jerk

Banned
Fuck those hackers for giving the rest of us a bad name, and fuck Sony for being obscenely incompetent.

megalowho

Wow. Downtime from online gaming is one thing, compromising the personal information and credit cards of all your users is much, much worse. They need to stop being so vague about this and get the word out to people that don't read the official Playstation blog ASAP. What a fucking mess.

mello

I don't understand why people are directly blaming Sony. When it is well known that a bunch of hackers have been illegally cyber assaulting Sony with all kinds of trouble. It's pretty clear to me that these so called dumb fuckers who claim to be freedom fighters are the cause of all this malarkey.

Arnie

And that seals it, I'm fucking done with my Playstation. They wait a week to tell me my credit card information could be compromised and that I can't do fuck all about it.

GeoramA

Willy Wanka said:
Thankfully I buy all my PSN stuff with points cards (they are cheaper) but I'll still be changing my PSN password whenever we can login again.
Same. I've only used gift cards and PSN cards.

Looks like my paranoia paid off.

On the one hand, Sony probably didn't want to freak people out until they knew what info was stolen, hence the silence.

On the other hand, one entire fucking week? Good Lord. I'm glad I deleted my CC info before the shit hit the fan. Time to change my passwords.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
They new something occurred the 17th through the 19th but were unsure and did not tell us a security breach had occurred. This is BS.

Az

Holy shit. My old credit card just expired in February so I am good to go. But still this is some bullshit. Seriously I don't think there is a way to downplay this.

Detox

Blu_LED said:
Seeing as a total of zero people have reported odd charges on their credit cards over these past fews days, you would have to assume they didn't get them, right?
From what I understand having read about other hacks is sometimes details aren't sold immediately and it can take weeks for them to be sold on the black market.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom