• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSVR 2 will be Backwards Compatible with PSVR Titles

I would have actually thought this would be difficult given the very, very different tracking and controller designs. Unless Sony put together some hardcore software layer to interpret and translate PSVR2 to PSVR1 data, which is why I find this surprising because they really don't have much of a track record for this kind of stuff.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I would have actually thought this would be difficult given the very, very different tracking and controller designs. Unless Sony put together some hardcore software layer to interpret and translate PSVR2 to PSVR1 data, which is why I find this surprising because they really don't have much of a track record for this kind of stuff.
I'm confused what you mean here; not being snarky.. just honestly confused.

Just because it tracks "differently", isn't it the same concept? The PSVR 2 will know where your hands are, will know everything PSVR1 knows and then some.

And the new controllers have all of the buttons of Move controllers, and then some...

So what exactly wouldn't be easily made backwards compatibility from a control/tracking standpoint?

AGRacing

Just because it tracks "differently", isn't it the same concept? The PSVR 2 will know where your hands are, will know everything PSVR1 knows and then some.

And the new controllers have all of the buttons of Move controllers, and then some...

So what exactly wouldn't be easily made backwards compatibility from a control/tracking standpoint?

I agree. Not at all saying it would be easy... BUT the PSVR uses the camera and built in motion sensors to basically get 3D positional data of the hand wands and your headset.

Just because the PSVR will likely determine that position in a different way doesn't mean the actual numbers it arrives at are different. X, Y, Z, etc. They should be able to covert it into a format the original PSVR understands. I think the game software just wants the coordinates and doesn't care what the method is to get them.

DeepSpace5D

I remember being told by someone on another site backwards compatibility would be too difficult because the tracking system was different.

This would be a big deal for me if true.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Hopefully they have a sort of AIM mk2 or something similar. A controller that the orbs fit into and can detach would be neat.

consoul

There are a shit-ton of buttons on Move controllers that aren't on PSVR2. I don't see how they could do backward compatibility without retaining the original Move controllers.

R6Rider

Gold Member
There are a shit-ton of buttons on Move controllers that aren't on PSVR2. I don't see how they could do backward compatibility without retaining the original Move controllers.
Moves have: Trigger, Shoulder, Square, Triangle, X/Cross, Circle, Move Button, Select, Start, and Home buttons. They lacked a D-pad and analog sticks.

There will be enough buttons, especially with the addition of analogs.

Because the games are expecting you to have a headset that is lit up and two bright balls on wands used for tracking. Literally everything about PSVR is built around those concepts, so Sony is probably going to have to translate whatever tracking there is for PSVR2 into literal brightness inputs for the PSVR software to read and input appropriately. I don't think they can just serve the PSVR game the raw motion data from the PSVR2, it needs to be translated into PSVR data, which is created using brightness being tracked by a camera. They might have to go as far as emulating the Playstation camera, and then feeding that emulated camera fake 3D lightmaps generated by translating the PSVR2 spatial headset data to trick it into thinking it is tracking a PSVR headset via brightness in your living room.

I'm no engineer but I really don't know how else they would do it - I'm sure the games eventually just get positional data, and they can skip all the steps and come up with a way to directly convert the PSVR2 data to PSVR data, but given how strictly 1:1 Sony's backwards compatibility efforts are, it would be unexpected.

I would be happy to be wrong though.

Ryu Kaiba

I expected this and sold my headset when Sony announced they would be making another.

would be a shame to have Astrobot and the Rick and Morty writers games lost on new hardware.

CS Lurker

I don't think so. It seems tracking for psvr was built in the game engines. Devs would need to release an update. But we'll see.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
This would be awesome. There are quite a few existing PSVR games that I have either bought and not played or would like to buy and play, but simply can't be arsed setting up all my PSVR cables.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
This would be awesome. There are quite a few existing PSVR games that I have either bought and not played or would like to buy and play, but simply can't be arsed setting up all my PSVR cables.
The HDMI splitter and the loss of HDR in the first revision pissed me off. I would love to be able to sell my PS4 Pro and the PSVR1 kit (no desire to hook the PS5 to it).

Gold Member
Because the games are expecting you to have a headset that is lit up and two bright balls on wands used for tracking. Literally everything about PSVR is built around those concepts, so Sony is probably going to have to translate whatever tracking there is for PSVR2 into literal brightness inputs for the PSVR software to read and input appropriately. I don't think they can just serve the PSVR game the raw motion data from the PSVR2, it needs to be translated into PSVR data, which is created using brightness being tracked by a camera. They might have to go as far as emulating the Playstation camera, and then feeding that emulated camera fake 3D lightmaps generated by translating the PSVR2 spatial headset data to trick it into thinking it is tracking a PSVR headset via brightness in your living room.

I'm no engineer but I really don't know how else they would do it - I'm sure the games eventually just get positional data, and they can skip all the steps and come up with a way to directly convert the PSVR2 data to PSVR data, but given how strictly 1:1 Sony's backwards compatibility efforts are, it would be unexpected.

I would be happy to be wrong though.
I think that it is more likely that all that positional data is figured out by the PSVR unit and sent to the software via API’s. I’d be very surprised if Sony was making each dev go down to the level of working out the position based on the lights etc. Using API’s offer an abstraction layer that is useful for things like backward compatibility as it provides a common interface for communication - even when the underlying driver is doing completely different things. So as long as PSVR2 can translate it’s positional data into PSVR format and serve it to the software via a common API it would be indistinguishable to the software.

I have literally no idea if this is how PSVR works so I could well be wrong too, but I’d be surprised if it wasn’t the driver / hardware working all that stuff out and just passing it to the software.

LimanimaPT

completely different tracking systems, different controllers and different FOV of the headset, all of that makes this not that easy to accomplish. I wonder if the compatibility will not be 100% and some games need patches.
FOV? What do you mean? Isn't psvr just a pair of lcds and the software controls the FOV? This is like saying that one TV as a bigger FOV then other.

This are good news if true. Probably PSVR1 games will render at a better resolution which was the biggest problem with PSVR. It would be great to replay RE7 in hd.

Banned
FOV? What do you mean? Isn't psvr just a pair of lcds and the software controls the FOV? This is like saying that one TV as a bigger FOV then other.

This are good news if true. Probably PSVR1 games will render at a better resolution which was the biggest problem with PSVR. It would be great to replay RE7 in hd.

different headsets have different FOVs...
it's literally part of the listed specs of any VR headset.
the Pimax 8K has an FOV of 141° for example, the Samsung Odyssey has an FOV of 102°, the Quest 2's is 93° and the PSVR has an FOV of ~90°

the PSVR2 is said to have an FOV of 110° if I remember correctly

Last edited:

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
The HDMI splitter and the loss of HDR in the first revision pissed me off. I would love to be able to sell my PS4 Pro and the PSVR1 kit (no desire to hook the PS5 to it).
I’m still perplexed to this day. How did Sony not talk to Sony? This should never have been allowed to happen. What’s more people had to come up with their own fix to correct this.
I imagine most people didn’t and ended up gaming without HDR.

SkylineRKR

This is pretty good but if IQ doesn't change I probably don't bother. One of the reasons (with the cable hell being the other) I sold PS VR a few months ago is because it especially looks like shit when coming from PS5 IQ. Its a 5 year old HMD, its done. I tested it on PS5, then put it on sale. Most games came through PS Plus and Astrobot was a freebie at some point so I still got those anyway.

And I didn't even make much of a loss on it, bought it at BF sale for like 150 in 2017, sold it for close to that amount just recently.

PSVR2 really depends, no breakout box required is a good start.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Thats good for those who want to play those games, but imo VR is dire need of a tech upgrade, VR on PS5 should be a sizable improvement, I dont think many folks will want tonplay ps4 psvr games.

But i suppose thats the argument for all BC debates.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
No shit. There's hardly enough VR titles as it is, let alone having to completely start again building a new library from scratch.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I mean SteamVR can handle VR headsets of various tracking methods, fps, lense type, controllers etc. something is terribly wrong if PSVR2 can’t support PSVR games

Kazza

I really hope that PSVR1&2 titles will eventually become part of Jimbo's PC port drive. With PSVR having such a small userbase compared to the base console, it makes sense to recoup some of the development costs by porting them all the PC. I would love to play Wipeout VR!

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
It would be nice if it does. Consider the relatively small number of PSVR1 titles, it is not that hard to get them working.
There are like 600 or so. But backward compatibility is not really about the number of titles in a case like this where the system itself is already BC.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I never did get round to getting the PSVR, however this certainly helps with making an early purchase of the PS2VR.

Tetris Effect will be an early purchase for sure when this relates.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
What I want to know is if PSVR2 will use its much higher render resolution when playing PSVR1 games, because the latter only render at 960*1080 per eye which is atrociously low.

I think that it is more likely that all that positional data is figured out by the PSVR unit and sent to the software via API’s. I’d be very surprised if Sony was making each dev go down to the level of working out the position based on the lights etc. Using API’s offer an abstraction layer that is useful for things like backward compatibility as it provides a common interface for communication - even when the underlying driver is doing completely different things. So as long as PSVR2 can translate it’s positional data into PSVR format and serve it to the software via a common API it would be indistinguishable to the software.

I have literally no idea if this is how PSVR works so I could well be wrong too, but I’d be surprised if it wasn’t the driver / hardware working all that stuff out and just passing it to the software.
So I was thinking that too, but again look at the backwards compatibility. Sony's solution is basically to replicate exactly with no enhancements because they don't seem to be using APIs like that. Whereas Microsoft for instance does, which is why they can increase frame rates, add HDR, change resolution, etc. So that is the only reason I am skeptical.

Gold Member
So I was thinking that too, but again look at the backwards compatibility. Sony's solution is basically to replicate exactly with no enhancements because they don't seem to be using APIs like that. Whereas Microsoft for instance does, which is why they can increase frame rates, add HDR, change resolution, etc. So that is the only reason I am skeptical.
I'm not sure that is because of API's tbh, they are just different approaches to backwards compatibility. Sony went the route of making the hardware act like a PS4 Pro and MS went down the virtual machine road, which I think they were already doing for XB1/X.

I don't know how much you know about object orientated software design (& apologies if you already know this), but an API can be as simple as an abstract interface between two parts (modules) of a program - meaning they can be switched out very easily because both are written to follow the same inputs & same outputs. I'm not going to get into the virtues of SOLID design principles, but they are pretty fundamental to software design and I'd expect the PS SDK to be following them as AFAIK its written in C++.

This is all conjecture though, I am not a games dev and I've never seen their SDK. I do have a lot of experience designing and writing this crap though so it doesn't seem too far out of the realms of possibility for me. You may well be right though, they might have not thought of this stuff and coded themselves into a corner. Time will tell I guess :)

SilentUser

I would love that to be true! I have quite a good number of PSVR1 titles already after that Sony gifting and PS Plus is about to give 3 more titles this november. I don't know how feasible BC is considering the technology differences, but I honestly think it is possible to make that happen IF Sony really wants that.

Top Bottom