• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Publishers Donate to Earthquake Relief

ULTROS! said:
Sorry for not following but what's the story behind this?
I know I'm probably beaten, but look up at Post #24: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=26478052&postcount=24

In short, Microsoft tweeted that, if you re-tweeted something about Bing, Microsoft would donate $1 to Japan, up to $100,000. It can be seen as an easy way to help Japan, but can also (more realistically) be seen as a marketing ploy for 100,000 people to tweet their friends advertising Bing, taking advantage of the disaster.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Boney said:
It was posted just above. They were doing one dollar per tweet or something. Don't use Twitter so I don't really know what it means.

DonMigs85 said:
They wanted people to retweet their message, saying Bing would donate $1 each time. And only up to a maximum of $100K, the cheapskates.

http://www.techflash.com/seattle/2011/03/microsoft-sorry-for-bing-quake-tweet.html

Can't believe I missed that. Thanks. I was under the impression that Microsoft did some marketing advertisement for themselves and placed Japan's disaster within that ad.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Normaly ust read gaming side news without posting a reply, but this news deserves it.

Kudos to the companies.

traveler

Not Wario
Why would I donate through a publisher when I could just give to the Red Cross? I'm confused.

Zizbuka said:
$100k? Seriously Microsoft?

CozMick said:
upto $100k? that's what? 8,000,000 yen.

Greedy bastards

To be fair to MS, here's the whole story re:their donations:

http://www.microsoft.com/about/corp.../community-involvement/disaster-response.aspx

The message tweeted on the Bing account.

Microsoft said:
Support from Microsoft:

To help support ongoing relief efforts, Microsoft is making an initial commitment of $2 million, which includes $250,000 in cash as well as in-kind contributions such as software.
This commitment is in addition to the support efforts we already have underway including:
Reaching out to customers, local government, inter-government and nonprofit agencies to support relief efforts.
Working with customers and partners to conduct impact assessments.
Providing free incident support to help customers and partners impacted by the earthquake get their operations back up and running.
Offering free temporary software licenses to all impacted customers and partners as well as lead governments, nonprofit partners and institutions involved in disaster response efforts.
Making a cloud-based disaster response communications portal, based on Windows Azure, available to governments and nonprofits to enable them to communicate between agencies and directly with citizens.
Exchange Online will be made available at no cost for 90 days to business customers in Japan whose communications and collaboration infrastructure may be affected. We hope this will help them resume operations more quickly while their existing systems return to normal.

The $100,000 is a separate donation associated with the Bing stunt, not the entirety of Microsoft's efforts.

Boney

Banned
zoku88 said:
A retweet is when you take a message that you see and basically rebroadcast it to all of your followers.
Gotcha, yikes that's pretty bad. Glad people called them out on that.

Cipherr

a1m said:
naamapalmu2.gif

Cmon guys, ffs, maybe he didnt realize at the time of the post how important it could be for people to be able to get info via the radio. Christ.

traveler said:
The $100,000 is a separate donation associated with the Bing stunt, not the entirety of Microsoft's efforts.
Yeah, I had a feeling that it was just a mess-up from a small section of Microsoft. I figured that, if it were from Microsoft as a whole, they wouldn't simply tweet an apology and $100,000 donated, and they'd have press releases.

(It's weird how a mess-up from one person can put a stain on a whole company.)

Zizbuka

Banned
Why would you do that? said:
No, I'm smh about that, too, but it seemed that particular post was complaining about the amount of money donated.

I could be wrong, though. It was an assumption...

Actually, I meant after being caught trying to profit from the disaster, they should've raised the amount.

The political discussion about an American company supporting another 'first world' country is better left for a non-game forum. However, said American company owes a lot to some of those companies.

1. Donations to help earthquake victims and affected communities

Capcom will make donations totaling 100 million yen to help victims of the earthquake and to assist communities in recovering from this tragedy.

2. Donation program for the iPhone version of "Street Fighter IV"

Capcom is distributing worldwide the iPhone version of "Street Fighter IV" at a price of 0.99 USD (115 yen in Japan) for one week starting on March 15, 2011 (Tuesday). All of our sales from this title during this period will be donated to support earthquake relief activities.

3. Provision of "Monster Hunter Frontier Online" at no cost

Capcom is compensating users in the area damaged by the earthquake for playing "Monster Hunter Frontier Online," an online game for PC and Xbox 360, at no cost.

4. Electricity conservation and response to rolling blackouts

To reduce power consumption in response to the current shortage of electricity, Capcom will suspend operations or shorten operating hours as necessary at amusement arcades and other business sites that are located in areas served by Tohoku Electric Power and Tokyo Electric Power. In addition, Capcom will refrain from holding special events.

http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/news/html/e110315.html

Top Bottom