• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Putin dissolves state news agency, tightens grip on Russia media

Status
Not open for further replies.

Espresso

Banned
r

President Vladimir Putin tightened his control over Russia's media on Monday by dissolving the main state news agency and replacing it with an organization that is to promote Moscow's image abroad.

The move to abolish RIA Novosti and create a news agency to be known as Rossiya Segodnya is the second in two weeks strengthening Putin's hold on the media as he tries to reassert his authority after protests against his rule.

Most Russian media outlets are already loyal to Putin, and opponents get little air time, but the shake-up underlined their importance to Putin keeping power and the Kremlin's concern about the president's ratings and image.

The head of the new agency, to be built from the ashes of RIA Novosti, is a conservative news anchor, Dmitry Kiselyov, who once caused outrage by saying the organs of homosexuals should not be used in transplants.

"The main focus of ... Rossiya Segodnya (Russia Today) is to highlight abroad the state policy and public life of the Russian Federation," said a decree signed by Putin.

Sergei Ivanov, the head of the presidential administration, told reporters that the changes were intended to save money and improve the state media.

But the new organization has strong similarities to APN, a Soviet-era news agency whose role included writing articles about "the social-economic and cultural life of the Soviet people and items reflecting Soviet society's point of view on important internal and international events".

RIA said in an English-language article about Putin's step: "The move is the latest in a series of shifts in Russia's news landscape which appear to point towards a tightening of state control in the already heavily regulated media sector."

Rossiya Segodnya's focus on building up Russia abroad could solidify Putin's grip on information by further limiting sources of news for Russians whose TV screens are dominated by state-controlled channels.

Putin's decree appeared to have little effect on the two other major Russian news agencies, state-run Itar-Tass and private Interfax, but it could benefit both by making RIA's replacement less of a competitor domestically.

Itar-Tass is the successor of the Soviet official Tass agency, while Interfax has more leeway as a private agency but is restricted by the Kremlin's dominance.

NEWS BOSS COURTS CONTROVERSY

A prominent member of parliament, Alexei Mitrofanov, described Kiselyov as a "powerful propagandist" but said this was a good thing and that he was suitable for the job.

In his third term, after weathering protests led by urban liberals, the 61-year-old Putin has often appealed to conservatives and championed the Russian Orthodox Church as a moral guide for society.

Kiselyov has proved a loyal Putin supporter as a television presenter, at times making provocative remarks. In 2010 he said homosexuals should be banned from donating blood or sperm and last year said they should also be banned from donating organs.

Putin has been Russia's dominant leader since he was first elected president in 2000. He began his third term in the Kremlin in May 2012 after stepping aside to serve for four years as prime minister because of constitutional limits.

The opposition staged big street protests against him for several months from December 2011, following a parliamentary election they said was rigged. The demonstrations have faded but Putin's popularity ratings have declined from their peak during his first two terms - from 2000 until 2008.

The Kremlin extended its grip over radio and television broadcasting on November 26 when the media arm of state-controlled Gazprom bought mining tycoon Vladimir Potanin's Profmedia.

Through the deal, the ex-Soviet gas ministry - now Russia's largest firm by revenue - will add TV and radio stations, cinemas and film production and distribution assets to a sprawling portfolio built up around commercial channel NTV.

The Kremlin already funds an English-language TV channel called RT which was initially known as Russia Today. It is not clear whether the two will operate separately and RT's head, Margarita Simonyan, said she had been unaware of the move.

The new organization will be created in RIA Novosti's headquarters in central Moscow. The fate of its journalists and other employees was not immediately clear.

RIA Novosti was created as the Soviet Information Bureau in 1941, after Nazi Germany invaded the Soviet Union, and issues reports in Russian and foreign languages.​

Source: Reuters

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
When people like to wail about Obama trampling on the Constitution and transforming the U.S. into a dictatorship it makes me wish I had the money to send these folks to Russia to have their minds blown.

I have this image of him cackling, hovering in the air, smoke rising from the tip of his weaponized bionic arm that has just fired upon the headquarters of the state news agency, dissolving it into a molecular soup.

daveo42

Banned
Theres no chance of Putin leaving right? Doesn't he "win" every "election."?

He will since elections are now based on votes from a group of people he hand-picked and are all in Putin's pocket. Good luck getting out of that one any time soon Russia.

Edit: it was a change in their parliament structure to help solidify his position. I can't find any article that stated there was a change in the title or change in election process for the president though. I'm probably wrong there.

RT is getting shut down, or strengthened?

It sounds like added propaganda, with a bit more propaganda.

I always wonder if the Brit presenters believe half of what they're spouting because they get all robotic when they start alluding to policies and why they are needed. They suddenly seem a bit cold and awkward out there in Moscow. Not so easy to sell the party line if you come from outside and are slightly rational.

Shit, I remember that guy from an old thread. I wonder how hard it is for Russians to get asylum? I bet Putin has some play with that.

Tenrius

He's like the King of Russia. No way he will ever lose an election.

It doesn't really matter, honestly. It's not like Putin has significance of its own — he is just the tip of the iceberg; he is the creation of the current profoundly corrupt Russian state and not vice-versa. The roots of that corruption are deeply Soviet and trace all the way back to 1917, so it's not something that started a few decades ago. Whether Putin stays in office, leaves it, dies abruptly or does whatever else is not a significant factor in this equation.

It doesn't really matter, honestly. It's not like Putin has significance of its own — he is just the tip of the iceberg;; he is the creation of the current profoundly corrupt Russian state and not vice-versa. The roots of that corruption are deeply Soviet and trace all the way back to 1917, so it's not something that started a few decades ago. Whether Putin stays in office, leaves it, dies abruptly or does whatever else is not a significant factor in this equation.

I always felt kinda bad for the sailors at Kronshtadt (minus the random shootings). It went downhill from the get go.

edit

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Russia's Freedom house scores (1 = Free, 7 = Not free)

1999; 5 civil liberties, 4 political rights
2001; 5 civil liberties, 5 political rights
2005; 5 civil liberties, 6 political rights

2013 overview:
Prime Minister Vladimir Putin won the tightly controlled March 2012 presidential election and returned to the Kremlin after a four-year interlude, during which his chosen placeholder, Dmitry Medvedev, had continued Putin’s policies and allowed him to avoid violating constitutional term limits. Putin immediately imposed greater restrictions on public assemblies, nongovernmental organizations, and the internet, seeking to squelch the nascent protest movement that had arisen in response to fraudulent December 2011 parliamentary elections. Vaguely defined amendments to the law on treason potentially criminalized a variety of activities, including ordinary interactions with foreigners. The authorities also launched anticorruption investigations during the year, exposing high levels of fraud in state spending, but as with past anticorruption drives, actual arrests were limited to lower-level officials rather than members of the elite.

Trending:
Russia received a downward trend arrow due to the imposition of harsh penalties on protesters participating in unsanctioned rallies and new rules requiring civil society organizations with foreign funding to register as “foreign agents.”

Daddy needs a pair of 7s.

Tenrius

Russia's Freedom house scores (1 = Free, 7 = Not free)

1999; 5 civil liberties, 4 political rights
2001; 5 civil liberties, 5 political rights
2005; 5 civil liberties, 6 political rights

2013 overview:

Trending:

Daddy needs a pair of 7s.

They didn't start doing these scores until 1999, but if they did, I think it'd be like straight 7s for a very long time. This is not a tendency, but rather the (rather unfortunate) state of play in this country in this particular era with its fluctuation. The evils of communism cannot be purged overnight, especially with the dissolution of the Soviet Union being done that way it was done.

My point is, Putin is obviously not helping the supposed change (what he and his have been doing lately is simply not humane in some cases), but nor he is the indicator of it. There are other, less tangible tendencies, which are more important to the overall process of the country going away from its Soviet past.

When people like to wail about Obama trampling on the Constitution and transforming the U.S. into a dictatorship it makes me wish I had the money to send these folks to Russia to have their minds blown.

Oh please. Putin is doing what many in Washington *wish* they could do. Don't act like abuse of power isn't increasing here. Sure, it's incremental, but it's still happening.

Damaniel

Banned
Not to mention that the guy running the show at the new station believes heavily in Putin's anti-gay agenda.

At the rate things are going there, we're going to have to give Russian gays and lesbians political asylum in other countries. I fear they're just a couple years (and a little more ultra right-wing nationalism) away from full on LGBT purges.

RedShift

Some combination of this and the argument over the pronunciation of "gif"
The official White House Tumblr has already come out in favour of the hard G, all it would take is Putin to back the peanut butter pronunciation and war would be inevitable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom