• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Putin dissolves state news agency, tightens grip on Russia media

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems pretty crazy over there. He should just announce his dictatorship already. Or if it goes too far, will the people revolt.

Because that ended so well the last time. No, there won't be a Russian revolt in political terms. Full blown civil war, despite sounding absurd at this time, is a somewhat more likely outcome should violence enter the arena.

Putin's death in particular is going to be a real historical event in our lifetime.

ksan

Because that ended so well the last time. No, there won't be a Russian revolt in political terms. Full blown civil war, despite sounding absurd at this time, is a somewhat more likely outcome should violence enter the arena.

Putin's death in particular is going to be a real historical event in our lifetime.

The sad part is that what you're saying is probably true, given that there are actually quite a sizeable portion actually supporting Putin. If a large majority with relatively common goals actually existed, they could probably make it, but considering the situation, no.
So, it's ok to abuse power because someone is taking it to another level?

Are you implying that he does, mang?
Because I don't think you got the point.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."

I really hope that doesn't happen. Russia, while not on par with it's Soviet era, is still massively powerful. Civil war with modern tanks, bombers, rocketry and nukes would be extremely deadly.

0 to USA new record!

Not to mention that the guy running the show at the new station believes heavily in Putin's anti-gay agenda.

At the rate things are going there, we're going to have to give Russian gays and lesbians political asylum in other countries. I fear they're just a couple years (and a little more ultra right-wing nationalism) away from full on LGBT purges.

Reeducation camps will probably be the one guarentee and god knows what'll go on behind those gates.

I'm still trying to place what that was a red herring for. Did the standards of living drop noticably? Was it for this particular power grab? To look good to the hardline arch-conservatives in the Eurasian Union?

leroidys

I frequently read Russian news and RIA Novosti was probably the best among the state media outlets in terms of at least posting stories of relevant things, if not always giving a balanced accounting. Most state media in Russia is just like China, where they pretend a story doesn't exist if they don't like it, or even if it's harmless but involves a higher up pwerfu person that just doesn't want to be in the news.

It remains though that RIA is state owned and controlled, and never operated very independently, so on the scale of Putin power-grabs, this one is only about a 5/10 for me.

All those people who praised this man should be ashamed of themselves. Absolutely ashamed.

Or better yet forced to move to Russia and experience his leadership first hand.

I really hope that doesn't happen. Russia, while not on par with it's Soviet era, is still massively powerful. Civil war with modern tanks, bombers, rocketry and nukes would be extremely deadly.

A genuine civil war in Russia would probably fuck the entire world over.

That's basically 5k+ nukes at stake.

Does not computin.

I am only 32 so don't really remember the soviet era or Cold War in a meaningful way but I still think of Russia as an evil empire.

NJDEN

I support this, if he wants to consolidate power and make a quasi dictatorship be my guest. Then the Western world will stop stagnating and spying on each other (NSA) and focus on Soviet Union Mark II.

It seems we advance our technology and civilization substantially during times of war (WWII) or during times of great competition (Cold War).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom