• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Qatar accused of paying hundreds of actors for World Cup fans

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Funny how all those football players who are virtue signalling on twitter about all sorts of progressive causes have no problems attending this event.
If you really support gay rights then why do you take money from a country where homosexuality is a capital offence?
Pay Me The Simpsons GIF

Hope they kept the receipts.

Well, one could make a reasonable argument that a full-strength Ecuador should have scored probably 10 goals with that Qatari defensive strategy going hard. Horrible coaching indeed, first game and all but when things don't work in game you have to change it up. You cannot give that much ground and possession up all game.

Also...

It's not dissimilar to an AFL footy crowd in here in Australia. Funny stuff. Welcome to the world of soccer where country patriotism, fists and flares are flying during and after the game. Enjoy the day, maybe have a beer mate.

Typical bloke fashion, kiss and make up -

Conspiracy theorists get in.

EDIT: Twitter is too fast, pisser -

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

If the value violate basic human rights they shouldn’t be respected.

Imagine this logic being used for Nazis: “They just have different values than us, we should respect that!”

Baddie GIF by Giphy QA
Again. what do you define as human rights isn't the same worldwide. why do some people find this concept hard to understand ???

The world isn't around you and your idealogy!

This goes for everything, not just who you decide to fuck or sleep with. goes for what food you eat or what kind of dress you think is offensive or not.

we do not eat dogs, guess what? it's a tasty food it seems in whatever east Asia country.

Just because you can't comprehend this, does not mean they are Nazies lol.

If you do not like X country's rules... lol do not go to it.

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
As a PR exercise, assuming it was supposed to create a positive image of Qatar, this doesn't seem to be going well.

Last edited:
You face death in Qatar for being born gay - how can anyone defend this shit?

Obviously you have to be a nutter to defend this but it's important to have a realistic view of the context with which this conversation is happening.

It's a bit late for anyone to suddenly be surprised that Qatar is a theocratic monarchy that operates Sharia. It is, has been for a while. It has operated like this all through the decades we have bought their oil and sold them our land and properties.

It is unfortunate that now, two days into the World Cup and what should be a celebration of undistilled unifying liberty, we are still talking about the laws of the host country.

We've had decades to make any protest known. We've had 12 years of it just getting ready for the World Cup. It's too little, too late now and everyone needs to continue to play the part of pretending that Qatar should get invited to the same parties as all other countries.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Obviously you have to be a nutter to defend this but it's important to have a realistic view of the context with which this conversation is happening.

It's a bit late for anyone to suddenly be surprised that Qatar is a theocratic monarchy that operates Sharia. It is, has been for a while. It has operated like this all through the decades we have bought their oil and sold them our land and properties.

It is unfortunate that now, two days into the World Cup and what should be a celebration of undistilled unifying liberty, we are still talking about the laws of the host country.

We've had decades to make any protest known. We've had 12 years of it just getting ready for the World Cup. It's too little, too late now and everyone needs to continue to play the part of pretending that Qatar should get invited to the same parties as all other countries.
I agree with everything you said except playing the part - obviously if we protest now why the whole world is watching the World Cup it makes the message much more pronounced.

murmulis

If the values violate basic human rights they shouldn’t be respected.

Imagine this logic being used for Nazis: “They just have different values than us, we should respect that!”

Baddie GIF by Giphy QA
Many countries had no problems attending the 1936 Olympics. Nazi concentration camps were already open by then.

Cyberpunkd

Many countries had no problems attending the 1936 Olympics. Nazi concentration camps were already open by then.
I like to think the world was very different in 1936 than it is today. One world war later and tens of millions of death should have pushed us forward a little bit, no?

murmulis

I like to think the world was very different in 1936 than it is today. One world war later and tens of millions of death should have pushed us forward a little bit, no?
What's different? Every team that qualified is participating. Fans are attending the games as usual. TV channels are showing the games as well. Even in countries that didn't qualify. As far as I can tell - looks like business as usual.

Qatar doesn't give a shit about westerners who protest on twitter and reddit. Neither teams nor sponsors are boycotting this. And that's what actually matters.

anthony2690

Gold Member
I worked in qatar for 10 years, and let me say this, there is a lot of gays in qatar, not openly but they are there and if you think the government doesnt know, you would be wrong.

Your comment kinda reminded me off this, where Pakistan men said it's more common to be seen with little boys than your own wife in the streets.

It's a sad documentary that I watched a while back, worth a watch.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member

Your comment kinda reminded me off this, where Pakistan men said it's more common to be seen with little boys than your own wife in the streets.

It's a sad documentary that I watched a while back, worth a watch.

Are we not having our own problems in the west with children, trans story times, transing children and mass sexual explotation on a grand scale with a media complicit in it. Hell, in the UK it's almost an industry within certain cultures that seem to have people looking the other way

One thing that should be globalised today, right now, is after catching someone who is involded in the corruption of a child is asking which part of the skull they'd like the 9mm to enter

Thats the best they'll get. Anything else is unjustifiable.

//DEVIL//

You face death in Qatar for being born gay - how can anyone defend this shit?

We did:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Declaration_of_the_Rights_of_Man_and_of_the_Citizen
Who said I am defending or supporting it ! Don’t act like the idiot guy above your post who couldn’t handle what I said and cussed me like a baby.

All I said there are different people and different mentality, rules and beliefs

I don’t like X country rules ? I am out fuck it . But there is no way In hell I am going to drink in a country where drinking ends you in jail . I am not gonna fight a country on its rules . So if I am visiting a place I just respect their rules and move on with my life till I am out of that place. Period

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Don't like Qatar, but that doesn't happen. They have other real issues but this isn't it

"enlightenment"

Pretty sure they still eat their young in Montana, so not quite the solid argument you intended there.

Look, Qatar is backwards and bigoted for the same reason a lot of places are: religion. No point in engaging in a huge debate about it. That's just facts.

Also fact is that FIFA are corrupt as shit, and the World Cup should never have been hosted there.

Last edited:

Lunarorbit

Again. what do you define as human rights isn't the same worldwide. why do some people find this concept hard to understand ???

The world isn't around you and your idealogy!

This goes for everything, not just who you decide to fuck or sleep with. goes for what food you eat or what kind of dress you think is offensive or not.

we do not eat dogs, guess what? it's a tasty food it seems in whatever east Asia country.

Just because you can't comprehend this, does not mean they are Nazies lol.

If you do not like X country's rules... lol do not go to it.
You want to tread water for this scumbag nation go right ahead.

There are universal human rights. This isn't a question or an opinion. This isn't something quatar gets to just ignore as they are hosting an international tournament.

Killing thousands of migrant workers and not giving a shit about their rights as quatar did is a human rights violation.

Get outta here with this troll shit

//DEVIL//

You want to tread water for this scumbag nation go right ahead.

There are universal human rights. This isn't a question or an opinion. This isn't something quatar gets to just ignore as they are hosting an international tournament.

Killing thousands of migrant workers and not giving a shit about their rights as quatar did is a human rights violation.

Get outta here with this troll shit
How about you shut up with the lies and the fake links you provide from the likes of you?
I lived in the Middle East for 30 years of my life as a worker there. There is no such thing called killing migrated workers and slavery and what’s the like .

Only stupid people who read links as facts and form a one-sided opinion as facts without actually being there. So congrats.

I am out of this thread. Too many retards in here.

Oh and by the way. No. The human rights and animal rights and what’s the like are different in east and west and middle of the world. Just because we are entitled and we are lucky to live in the best part of the world, doesn’t mean the rest of the world is the same.

Good luck

Last edited:

Lunarorbit

How about you shut up with the lies and the fake links you provide from the likes of you?
I lived in the Middle East for 30 years of my life as a worker there. There is no such thing called killing migrated workers and slavery and what’s the like .

Only stupid people who read links as facts an form a one sided opinion as facts without actually being there. So congrats.

Oh and by the way. No. The human rights and animal rights and what’s the like are different in east and west and middle of the world. Just because we are entitled and we are lucky to live in the best part of the world, doesn’t mean the rest of the world is the same.

Good luck
You're disputing that thousands of nepalis, Indian, and Pakistani migrant workers didn't have their passports stolen and forced to work for nothing? That if they didn't work they had no way to survive and the working conditions were horrible.

You're so full of shit. Arguing that water, shelter, and food aren't unalienable human rights. You're mind is totally jaded and broken from living in the middle east if you honestly believe this shit. I'm assuming you're just trolling or are so woefully uninformed that it's a joke

belmarduk

Kek the local Saudi lad trying to defend Qatar with whataboutism of the USA.
Beheaded any people on the street recently?

Its always whataboutism. Its deeply ingrained by Middle-Eastern governments to their populace to take focus on the extreme injustices inflicted upon them to keep them compliant and docile. They don't even think to question it.

Spaceman292

Banned

Only stupid people who read links as facts and form a one-sided opinion as facts without actually being there. So congrats.

Good luck
Do you work for fifa?

the "whataboutism" are real things happening. your attacks are fake news.

take care of yourselves first and be civil.
So you're going to sit there and say SA doesn't execute people at random locations including beheadings?

Your country treats Foreign workers like shit too. Theres a video of a migrant nanny holding onto a ledge of a window she fell out of while her owner just films and watches instead of helping.

belmarduk

So you're going to sit there and say SA doesn't execute people at random locations including beheadings?

Your country treats Foreign workers like shit too. Theres a video of a migrant nanny holding onto a ledge of a window she fell out of while her owner just films and watches instead of helping.

People are executed for "sorcery" in Saudi Arabia. Its easily one of the most backward countries on the planet. I wouldn't count on the person you're arguing with to criticize his government in any way though. He could be imprisoned or killed for doing so.

Amiga

That is called a crime.

If I judge you based on the crimes in your country the picture will not be pretty. the laws though do reflect on you.

edit: going with //Devil// out of this thread. Too many b!&0T$ in here.

Last edited:
Top Bottom