• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World Cup 2022: Qatar bid team accused of secret campaign to sabotage rivals

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
The Qatar 2022 World Cup bid team ran a secret campaign in 2010 to sabotage competing host bids, according to a report published by the Sunday Times.

The paper claims to have seen leaked documents that show the Qatari bid team employed a US PR firm and ex-CIA agents to smear its rivals - mainly the United States and Australia.

Some of the alleged aspects of the smear campaign:
  • A respected academic was paid $9,000 to write a negative report on the huge economic cost of an American World Cup, which was then distributed to news media around the world.
  • Journalists, bloggers and high-profile figures were recruited in each country to hype up negative aspects of their respective bids.
  • A group of American physical education teachers were recruited to ask their US Congressmen to oppose a US World Cup on the grounds that the money would be better used on high school sports.
  • Grassroots protests were organised at rugby games in Australia opposing the country's bid.
  • Intelligence reports were compiled on individuals involved in rival bids.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/44994041

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/...022-world-cup-rivals-with-black-ops-glwl3kxkk

If true, I am not surprised, but as an Australian, this pisses me off.

B_Signal

I wouldn't be surprised if a few countries were at it, same way they were all gifting.

Still though, I hope Qatar lose it. I'm all for the World Cup going to new places, but if your country is too hot to host it then tough shit. Fucking around with the football season is ridiculous

Dunki

This thing is such a farce. It is not only too hot in Summer to play there no there will be special clothing rules for women. Alcohol is forbidden and let us not forget that tousands of slaves already died bulding these stadiums. Russia is one thing but Qatar should have never become this world cup.

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
Wait, hold up, this can’t be true - the Qatar World Cup bid was corrupt?!

womfalcs3

Banned
I get that there's anger at Qatar, and I think this is part of the negative press coverage to ultimately justify taking the 2022 WC elsewhere. But why did you say, "as an Australian"? I think Australia getting a WC would be a travesty for FIFA. Most people (Middle East + Africa + Europe + NA + South America) would not be able to watch the games live.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I get that there's anger at Qatar, and I think this is part of the negative press coverage to ultimately justify taking the 2022 WC elsewhere. But why did you say, "as an Australian"? I think Australia getting a WC would be a travesty for FIFA. Most people (Middle East + Africa + Europe + NA + South America) would not be able to watch the games live.
A travesty? You serious?

Australia has one of the best sporting cultures in the World and we are great at holding big events. People around the globe managed to watch the 2000 Olympics just fine. Honestly not sure what you are on about.

EDIT: Not to mention the Japan/South Korea WC in 2002, which has basically the same timezone as Australia. Went off without a hitch.

Last edited:

Dunki

This was never a problem. Japan had it. Brasilia, Mexico US etc. I had long long nights watching these matches while on the next day having school etc. Changing the date from Summer to December is a MUCH bigger issue in Europe. Noramlly the clubs have still league matches which means,. The schedule must be changed completley.

Last edited:
Top Bottom