• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Qualcomm says most Windows games should ‘just work’ on its unannounced Arm laptops

Belthazar

Hopefully this is a step into making backwards compatibility possible and slowing console to move away from the ridiculously power hungry CPUs they use now.

Well yeah, Microsoft is shit, Windows is shit, DIrect X is shit.

All true, but even then, it’s less shit than the alternatives which is why everyone uses Windows and not Linux for example.

And before Linux warriors come in here saying it ain’t true you have to think about generic users that can barely install a game via Steam and have no other knowledge on how to configure anything.

For what it is, for the generic audience “windows just works”, like Apple products just work.

Store retailers tried some years ago to sell PC’s preinstalled with Linux instead of Windows because it was cheaper for them “no licensing costs”, but somehow no-one wanted to buy them, I wonder why? 🙃

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
Yeah takes an arm and a leg to get it to work.

All Grown Up Nicksplat GIF by NickRewind

Dr.D00p

Gold Member
Nobody should be considering moving to ARM in Windows for gaming.

That's not the market Qualcom are after.

Gaming is just a bonus at this stage and they won't be too fussed if reports of games running poorly, or not at all, emerge after launch.

Hudo

it’s less shit than the alternatives which is why everyone uses Windows and not Linux for example.
Windows 11 was significantly more shit than any Linux distro, which is why I am on Fedora right now. And I genuinely had an easier time getting games to run (especially old games) on it than I had on Windows 11. Nice bonus: The OS actually gets out of my way and doesn't bother me with bullshit.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
Ask them about games that use AVX extensions.

These arm cpus do not have built in support for those and it breaks compatibility.

Why ask them what they’ve already answered?

In the article in the OP

As you can see in the slide above, there are a few caveats: games that rely on kernel-level anti-cheat drivers (which have been growing in popularity, though some players now fear hacks) won’t work under emulation. For now, neither will games that use AVX instruction sets, where Khalil suggests developers use SIMDe to get a huge headstart on converting them to NEON code. Those things are true with ARM64EC as well.

Windows 11 was significantly more shit than any Linux distro, which is why I am on Fedora right now. And I genuinely had an easier time getting games to run (especially old games) on it than I had on Windows 11. Nice bonus: The OS actually gets out of my way and doesn't bother me with bullshit.

Windows - on desktop at least - doesn’t really get more complicated than boot up, click game icon and start playing. How does it get in your way?

Good for you, but you’re not the average user that doesn’t know anything. And please pray tell how windows 11 bothers me when I try to install a video game? Or how it should bother me in any other way? Only thing I can think of is installing updates, but you have to do that with every OS, bar maybe Linux where they don’t care about your security, and making it your own problem.

Hudo

Windows - on desktop at least - doesn’t really get more complicated than boot up, click game icon and start playing. How does it get in your way?
Good for you, but you’re not the average user that doesn’t know anything. And please pray tell how windows 11 bothers me when I try to install a video game? Or how it should bother me in any other way? Only thing I can think of is installing updates, but you have to do that with every OS, bar maybe Linux where they don’t care about your security, and making it your own problem.
Begins with the installation process and basically doing its very best to make you sign up for a stupid account. Hiding OS options behind obtuse menus unless you want to get to the real trivial stuff. Backwards compatibility is legitimately worse, I had also problems with it when it came to setting up multiple versions of MSVC/Visual Studio; I did not had these issues on Windows 10. And making it work with my internal server also took more work than it should've. And why does the OS have ads in it? Why is it so hard to opt out of Microsoft's services? Why does it rewrite the bootloader after an update?

Windows Update is a story that deserves its own fucking thread. From the way the defaults are setup to the way they deliberately make it hard for the users to make decisions about it. There are many things where Microsoft just decided to take the decision out of the user's hands. And I am sorry, but I like when my machine only does the things I tell it to and nothing more.

And yes, I had more trouble getting old Command & Conquer games, Freelancer, Emperor of the Fading Suns or even the original The Sims to run than on fucking Linux, where I either just add it to Steam and Proton takes care of it or I just install a Bottle for it and run it that way. In the meantime, I had to download weird DLLs, put it somewhere in a system(!) directory and had to touch some config files on Windows 11. Reminded me of the time when I installed some mods for GTA 3 on Windows XP back then.

But I see that this argument won't get us anywhere. If you're happy with the path Microsoft has set for Windows, good for you! I am not here to dissuade you. I just came here to say that it is disingenuous to claim that Windows 11 is better in every regard than other OSs. There are some parts that it does well and other parts where it is the worst OS in the industry. Just like Linux and Mac have their advantages and disadvantages.

And when it comes to security, OpenBSD or Qubes OS, where every fucking thing is sandboxed, are probably the gold standard here. For fuck's sake Windows + Office STILL struggle with Active Directory security issues. Only takes a well targeted phishing mail with a Excel or Word document with some VBA script in it to take over your Windows PC. And that shit has plagued Windows since the early 2000s.

twilo99

Hopefully this is a step into making backwards compatibility possible and slowing console to move away from the ridiculously power hungry CPUs they use now.

There is a very good opportunity to make handhelds more viable but we will see what they can do.

The traditional consoles will probably continue to employ x86 for a while still

you cant rely on emulation forever, project voltera tries to adress that. Hopefully you will see more solutions for this in MS build conference.

Begins with the installation process and basically doing its very best to make you sign up for a stupid account. Hiding OS options behind obtuse menus unless you want to get to the real trivial stuff. Backwards compatibility is legitimately worse, I had also problems with it when it came to setting up multiple versions of MSVC/Visual Studio; I did not had these issues on Windows 10. And making it work with my internal server also took more work than it should've. And why does the OS have ads in it? Why is it so hard to opt out of Microsoft's services? Why does it rewrite the bootloader after an update?

Windows Update is a story that deserves its own fucking thread. From the way the defaults are setup to the way they deliberately make it hard for the users to make decisions about it. There are many things where Microsoft just decided to take the decision out of the user's hands. And I am sorry, but I like when my machine only does the things I tell it to and nothing more.

And yes, I had more trouble getting old Command & Conquer games, Freelancer, Emperor of the Fading Suns or even the original The Sims to run than on fucking Linux, where I either just add it to Steam and Proton takes care of it or I just install a Bottle for it and run it that way. In the meantime, I had to download weird DLLs, put it somewhere in a system(!) directory and had to touch some config files on Windows 11. Reminded me of the time when I installed some mods for GTA 3 on Windows XP back then.

But I see that this argument won't get us anywhere. If you're happy with the path Microsoft has set for Windows, good for you! I am not here to dissuade you. I just came here to say that it is disingenuous to claim that Windows 11 is better in every regard than other OSs. There are some parts that it does well and other parts where it is the worst OS in the industry. Just like Linux and Mac have their advantages and disadvantages.

And when it comes to security, OpenBSD or Qubes OS, where every fucking thing is sandboxed, are probably the gold standard here. For fuck's sake Windows + Office STILL struggle with Active Directory security issues. Only takes a well targeted phishing mail with an Excel or Word document with some VBA script in it to take over your Windows PC. And that shit has plagued Windows since the early 2000s.
See here is the problem, the average windows user doesn’t understand anything that you’re saying here, they just turn on the pc for the first time and register their account. After that everything for those people just works.

With Linux etc, if only 1 tiny thing goes wrong, normal users can never fix it anymore and they have to call some repair guy that grossly overcharges them to fix it. Let alone the many different versions that all do different things well, but not all average. The average user doesn’t understand any of this. That’s why everyone uses Windows, and while I personally agree with you what is the better OS etc, it doesn’t work like that for the average user.

Last edited:
Top Bottom