• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Question about the Japanese language and Naruto

Status
Not open for further replies.
This has been driving me nuts for a while... How come Naruto ends every other line with "[insert word here]-tte bayo!" no matter what the context is? What does it mean and how can he get away with using it after every line? Also other characters have a similar habit with ending their lines with a different word... Konohamaru for example.

Ferrio

Banned
Something I asked a friend once.

Basically just something made up to give the character personallity.

fennec fox

ferrets ferrets ferrets ferrets FERRETS!!!
The textbook will tell you that tteba at the end of a sentence serves to reinforce what was just said in a pleading sort of fashion -- for example, "But I don't know where those cookies you had on the counter went!" or "I tell you, I'm not a pedophile!"

I don't watch Naruto, but maybe he's just a whiny bastard?

Jim Bowie

fenekku-gitsune said:
The textbook will tell you that tteba at the end of a sentence serves to reinforce what was just said in a pleading sort of fashion -- for example, "But I don't know where those cookies you had on the counter went!" or "I tell you, I'm not a pedophile!"

I don't watch Naruto, but maybe he's just a whiny bastard?

That's so right.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
You can think of "dattebayo" as Naruto's way of saying "desu" which is basically the verb "to be." He uses this "form" most often for declaratory statements ("yo" is usually used when you are adding emphasis to a statement), and it's pretty much their way of showing, through his speech, just how loudmouthed and obnoxious he is.

Ferrio said:
My friend told me he was saying "daiyo" not "baiyo"
Actually, IIRC, I said he was saying "bayo" in place of "dayo". It's just a manufactured dialect (or speech impediment, depending on your point of view). On a related note, you may know that in Kansai-ben you will see the copula "da" replaced by "ya" (souya for souda, etc.) I have read that some Japanese authors, when trying to show that dialogue is being spoken by a character from Kansai, will merely replace every occurance of "da" with "ya". This is about as unsophisticated as replacing "you" and "your" with "thou" and "thy" to imitate Middle English, but that's basically what they are doing.

Also, MegatronM, "-ttebayo" is most certainly not Naruto's way of saying "desu". Read fenneku's explanation; it is spot on.

There's a neat site that talks about a lot of the japanese language quirks in Naruto and explains a lot of the names and stuff too. It's a blog or something? I absolutely cannot remember the name of it, though. I'm sure somebody here has the link... you guys know what I'm talking about, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom