• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Question for the people familiar with NeoGeo-era KOF games.

Do the bosses get easier the more continues you have?

I beat KOF 96 for the first time today with Ralf, playing on Level 2 (Easy), and fighting Chizuru the first like... 10 times, without exploiting the CPU at all, was pretty brutal.

But after a while, that random stun state she puts you in on pretty much every match, only happened once in a while, and while it was still hard (For me), I managed to get one round. And eventually beat her.

Same thing with Goenitz.
Constant tornado move everytime he was far away, puts a lot of pressure on you. But after a while, he stops spamming that move as much... Still very hard (For me), but I eventually beat him too...

I beat both without exploiting or spamming a move, it's more fun for me to fight them "fair", even if they aren't.

Is this just me getting better at their patterns after each beatdown, or are the bosses actually getting easier every continue or quarter?

By the way, KOF 96 is excellent.

SomeGit

I never heard of any system like that, I think it’s just what routine the boss decides to follow. Later games added the continue bonus as well but maybe it does subtly lower the difficulty.

Also try KoF 01, Igniz is just completely broken lol

Last edited:

Futaleufu

AFAIK difficulty is set to a level between 1 and 8, the behavior you describe may happen in early difficulty settings, Ive only played 4-8.

KOF98 and later games have a "continue service" system where you can pick a bonus for the next fight, or nothing at all.

I never heard of any system like that, I think it’s just what routine the boss decides to follow. Later games added the continue bonus as well but maybe it does subtly lower the difficulty.
Yeah, being a routine makes more sense... If you keep playing you may get on the good side of the routine, where it's more manageable.
Also try KoF 01, Igniz is just completely broken lol
I did, lol!
I can't even beat Zero. I only got to get destroyed by Igniz, because I used the continue bonus you mentioned, to "beat" Zero.

AFAIK difficulty is set to a level between 1 and 8, the behavior you describe may happen in early difficulty settings, Ive only played 4-8.
I will test that out when I attempt difficulty 4 and up.
I actually noticed that fighting Chizuru was easier on Level 2 then it was on 1 (Beginner difficulty) weirdly enough...
KOF98 and later games have a "continue service" system where you can pick a bonus for the next fight, or nothing at all.
These were my life savers, when I wanted to the see the character endings.

Top Bottom