• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Question on selling expensive item on eBay.

I just sold a $1000+ item on eBay. The buyer is someone with nearly 2k rating. It took the buyer 2 days to actually pay and when I send the buyer if it is ok to change to ups ground shipping instead of priority there are no reply. Is there any causes for concern?

I initially was thinking it was a dead beat buyer since I didn't receive payment after 1 day. But I'm day 2 I received payment. I listed priority mail as the delivery method initially but after some thinking ups ground might be a better choice. So I message the buyer if he/she/it would be ok with me shipping ups ground. No response yet. I am debating should I ship out today or wait till tomorrow to see if there is respond from buyer. I mean there is not much I can do now since the buyer pay. All I can do is take pictures and film everything from showing the item and packing it.

Amory

I just sold a $1000+ item on eBay. The buyer is someone with nearly 2k rating. It took the buyer 2 days to actually pay and when I send the buyer if it is ok to change to ups ground shipping instead of priority there are no reply. Is there any causes for concern?

I initially was thinking it was a dead beat buyer since I didn't receive payment after 1 day. But I'm day 2 I received payment. I listed priority mail as the delivery method initially but after some thinking ups ground might be a better choice. So I message the buyer if he/she/it would be ok with me shipping ups ground. No response yet. I am debating should I ship out today or wait till tomorrow to see if there is respond from buyer. I mean there is not much I can do now since the buyer pay. All I can do is take pictures and film everything from showing the item and packing it.
If they paid and have plenty of feedback I don't see why you'd be concerned. From a buyer perspective I wouldn't care if you decided to use UPS instead of the USPS. I'd probably prefer it, tbh.

Just ship the item and make sure you have the tracking information. I probably would insist on a signature upon delivery for an item of that value, or at least pay for the insurance.

Fushitsusha

Banned
UPS is not worse than USPS so they probably won't mind. Wait for a response until tomorrow. Ship with tracking.

That should cover most of it in this case.

Last edited:
If they paid and have plenty of feedback I don't see why you'd be concerned. From a buyer perspective I wouldn't care if you decided to use UPS instead of the USPS. I'd probably prefer it, tbh.

Just ship the item and make sure you have the tracking information. I probably would insist on a signature upon delivery for an item of that value, or at least pay for the insurance.
Ebay require signaturte confirmation. Just wonder if it is worth paying the extra 10-15 out of pocket for the insurance

Amory

Ebay require signaturte confirmation. Just wonder if it is worth paying the extra 10-15 out of pocket for the insurance
tbh I'm not even totally sure what shipping insurance covers but I usually get it anyway since it's only a few bucks. at least then I know if they damage the item they'll have to pay for it, but i'm sure the claims process is a pain in the ass.

it might not make sense to bother with it if you're already requiring a signature though, because if UPS has a signature for the delivery they're probably not going to pay out an insurance claim.

synchronicity

Gold Member
I've only had a couple of bad experiences on ebay (with many sales), but with a larger sale, you do have to take a bit more precautions. Like you said, pictures/filming of the item and packaging along with tracking ought to be sufficient, but it is always a bit worrying when a buyer is silent in messaging imho.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
tbh I'm not even totally sure what shipping insurance covers but I usually get it anyway since it's only a few bucks. at least then I know if they damage the item they'll have to pay for it, but i'm sure the claims process is a pain in the ass.

it might not make sense to bother with it if you're already requiring a signature though, because if UPS has a signature for the delivery they're probably not going to pay out an insurance claim.
The insurance covers transit, if it gets broken, gets lost, someone's detergent package leaks all over it etc.

What’s the item in question OP? And after making a $1000 sale you’re cutting on postage costs? You were aware of the item and it’s value and a rough estimation of where it was heading so this is questionable.

8bitpill

I know you were probably psyched to sell something for $1000, so I slightly understand why, if someone bought something for that price online you would be eager to get paid. I know eBay has a three day limit on when a item needs to be paid so he was within that time.

giphy.gif

As for the insurance, don't even question it, just get it. I run a print business where I ship out multiple large paying jobs a week. They always make it there fine, but over the past 12 years of running this business I realized anything over $500 is going to be insured because if something is damaged, the client/customer will place the blame on you regardless of how well packed it is and if it was at fault of the carrier.

I would say ship it with the original carrier that was listed. I know UPS offers better deals, and you want to receive more money for said sold thing in the end but just follow through with USPS.

giphy.gif

0neAnd0nly

As someone who worked for a company that was a 1% eBay seller, and dealt with eBay as my job primarily (and I still do now privately as well for high end goods) - here is my advice.

100% ship the way you have listed. eBay will SELDOM side with a part time seller. So rare. My company I was with, occasionally would get stuff reversed but on my personal / private store - I had absolute 100% proof of a buyer scamming me. Had pictures, videos AND even a written response via the manufacturer of said product. EBay CS still told me they didn’t care. Wasn’t their problem.

Don’t ever change something you are doing that’s in the listing. That includes changing the shipping address after a buyer pays for an item or the shipping service.

I generally don’t bother with insurance, but on a $1k item? For sure. Especially these days with the nightmare logistics.

Just IMO man. Just isn’t worth the hassle in your situation or any small savings you would incur.

I always list the cheapest shipping method and then “upgrade” them to a higher tier. Let’s the buyer think I’m hooking them up and allows me to decide what’s the best way to ship. They were expecting the slowest shipping to begin with so no bad surprises.

Well I dropped off my item o er at USPS Tuesday with the signature confirmation and the insurance. No movement at all yet and it was scheduled to be delivered Friday. Should I be freak out yet

catvonpee

I've sent and received many expensive packages required my package sent certified mail restricted delivery, so only the addressee can sign for it with a driver's license.

Soodanim

I always think of that time someone claimed a Stradivarius he bought was fake, then eBay told him to destroy it so he destroyed an irreplaceable item.

The problem with eBay is not knowing who the person at the other end is and what they will try, so I’d never skip any precaution if I was selling an item for 1000+. Highest tier shipping with strictest delivery terms, pictures, video, the lot. No chances taken. Protect yourself, because no one else will.

Well, i ship it with usps priority mail with signaturee and insurance. Drop it off post office tuesday with a scan. Today there is STILL no movement onn the package.

Well I dropped off my item o er at USPS Tuesday with the signature confirmation and the insurance. No movement at all yet and it was scheduled to be delivered Friday. Should I be freak out yet
Well, i ship it with usps priority mail with signaturee and insurance. Drop it off post office tuesday with a scan. Today there is STILL no movement onn the package.
if you're worried then take it up with USPS. if you have insurance don't worry. you've done your job it's up to USPS now. i'm not in the US but it's my experience (from selling on ebay) that a lot of couriers can take a while to update their tracking. be patient.

Last edited:

Amory

I think USPS tracking just kind of sucks. I sent something across the country last month and the tracking info indicated it was sitting in my local post office for 3 days. Then on the 4th or 5th day all of a sudden it was out for delivery in California.

Kilau

They have gotten really bad about scanning packages. We traded in our phones last year and did it via mail. One phone was scanned once and the other one was never scanned at all. It never even showed delivered, T-Mobile just told us weeks later they got it.

I asked at the post office where I dropped it off and they told me they don’t scan certain things at all anymore.

2 years ago I sold a PS4 on eBay and USPS lost it for two weeks, just in limbo. I went through the process of opening a claim they began to “search” for it then suddenly it was out for delivery, luckily the buyer was cool and waited patiently. For a year after I would get emails from USPS telling me they were still diligently searching for the package they had already delivered.

Soodanim

I asked at the post office where I dropped it off and they told me they don’t scan certain things at all anymore.
“That additional service you pay for? We don’t bother doing that half the time”

I’d be annoyed if I paid for a service and they didn’t bother performing it.

Ok, I might require soem help and advice. On my ebay label, city and zip is:Wolverine Lake MI 48390-2118. However, when it is deliver today, usps say it is deliver to NOVI, MI 48377

Nester99

Ok, I might require soem help and advice. On my ebay label, city and zip is:Wolverine Lake MI 48390-2118. However, when it is deliver today, usps say it is deliver to NOVI, MI 48377

most likely delivered to a 3rd party that is subcontracted to take it to the final destination.

advice is to chill out until you actually have a problem.

Top Bottom