• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quick! What PSP game to get?

Juice

Another write-in for Metal Gear Ac!d. I own all of the games you listed and I was shocked by how MGA took my expectations and made me spend 40 hours with it, more than all the others.

blahness

if you have a wireless router at home go for Twisted Metal... its the only game i have so far and i love it... the online play is superb

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
All three are very good games (4 including MGA, which does rock).

I would say Ridge Racer, as I am a huge fan of the series, but it may not be for everyone. It IS extremely flashy, loaded with content, very fast, and ultra fun. The controls are a bit too easy, but it does make for an extremely fast and fun ride. Plenty of tracks, an awesome soundtrack, outstanding 60 fps visuals, and tons of content. The Novice, Pro, and EX tours aren't particularly difficult, but the MAX tour will kick your ass.

Wipeout has grown on me as of late. The game did not immediately appeal and it took a while before I REALLY got into it, but once it clicks, you'll become addicted. It's a very tough game to master, however, and requires a lot of practice. At first, it doesn't seem particularly loaded with content, but you'll spend a lot of time mastering those 16 tracks (17 with the free download). You need to memorize those bastards and really come to grips with the handling. It's very rewarding and addictive to earn those gold medals as well. The visuals are also EXTREMELY good and very detailed, but the framerate isn't as smooth as RR (30 fps with some slowdown when lots of weapons and vehicles fill the screen).

Twisted Metal is my least favorite of those three, but I still enjoyed it. It doesn't look quite as good as Black (and is only 30 fps), but it's close. It's a solid game, but isn't quite as loaded as the other two...though it does support internet play.

MGA is also recommended, as it is a very lengthy and challenging strategy game. It holds suprisingly close to the Metal Gear series while taking a new spin on everything. It really does play like a turn based Metal Gear.

I assume you already own Lumines, but if you didn't, that's a must (one of the best puzzle games ever made and a blast to play, even if you typically do not enjoy buying puzzle games). Hot Shots Golf is pretty awesome as well.

None of those games suffer as a result of load times either, which is VERY important. For example, Ape Escape and Mercury are both good games...but there is a whole lot of loading quite often, and it really does get in the way. Those are the only two games I've played with bothersome loading, though.

Oh, and one more thing about Wipeout...

I'm not sure if it's just me or what, but when I sleep my PSP during Wipeout (within a race), there is a very good chance that it will crash within 10 seconds of powering back up. You can sleep in the menu all you want, but sleeping during the game will almost always bring a crash. No other games I own have issues with sleep mode.

aoi tsuki

It's only happened with WOP when i sleep it for a day or two midrace. Ridge Racer has a problem with music playback after sleeping. Basically, if you go to a screen with no music (like the intro to the world tour) and put it to sleep, you'll have no problems. But if you put it to sleep after pausing a race, it won't play any music until you exit and reenter the game completely.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
aoi tsuki said:
It's only happened with WOP when i sleep it for a day or two midrace. Ridge Racer has a problem with music playback after sleeping. Basically, if you go to a screen with no music (like the intro to the world tour) and put it to sleep, you'll have no problems. But if you put it to sleep after pausing a race, it won't play any music until you exit and reenter the game completely.

Oh yeah, forgot about that RR bug. That does not always occur, though...

As for WOP, it only seems to crash on certain tracks when sleeping. For example, the second track (whatever the name is), will ALWAYS crash after sleeping. If you start that track, for example, and sleep it before the race begins...it will crash sometime after the start line but before you finish the first major hill. Sol 2 seems to have that problem as well...

Wipeout Pure!

The game I still play the most, bought at launch.

Untiold Legends is quite the timekiller, too-- if you like hack and slash.

BuddyC

Ridge Racer. Wipeout's good, don't get me wrong, but it hits that frustrating level of difficulty much sooner than Ridge Racer.

Dilbert

All three games rock, but yeah, I gotta vote for Ridge Racer. The game is gorgeous, fun, accessible until the later stages, great for pick-up-and-play gaming (single races can be 2-3 minutes!), and highly polished. Wipeout Pure would be a close second, though.

brocke

Banned
Quick question for OP. How many of these 3 have you played already for their PS2 versions? Out of those you played, did you like them?

Top Bottom