• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Radio Silence To Direct New ‘Escape From New York’ Movie For 20th Century Studios

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
https://deadline.com/2022/11/radio-silence-escape-from-new-york-pic-1235175637/

The Picture Company partners Andrew Rona & Alex Heineman will produce the film along with Radio Silence.

Original filmmaker John Carpenter will serve as executive producer of the film, which is a Studiocanal library title; the French company will hold distribution rights in several territories. The Picture Company has an overall deal with Studiocanal.

Good luck to them. Great filmmakers but no one can replace Kurt Russell IMO. Except maybe Oscar Isaac but he's Solid Snake for that movie isn't he?

Last edited:
Man it's been too long since I watched the DVD then listened to the audio commentary.

You are the Duke of New York, you are A-Number One

Dr.D00p

Fast And Furious Mistake GIF by The Fast Saga

This radio silence?
Never heard of them until right now
They are very good, no doubt about that. So we'll see what happens. We don't have a choice anymore.
Agreed. Their Scream movie was their weakest output imo, and even that was ok. VHS is great.

And Ready or Not--holy cow talk about a fun crowd-pleaser with crazy twists that absolutely worked. Like, you know when a movie takes a turn and you're either on-board or turned off? This one had multiple twists and each one made the movie better and better for me. Plus Samara Weaving's a total babe. Charismatic as hell, too

I hope this EfNY reboot/remake goes through and they are the writer/directors, not just producers

jason10mm

Gold Member
The good news is that NYC is quickly heading back to the lawless hellscape that made it such a great place to turn into a prison in the first film.

They really should focus on remaking lesser films though. Compared to a classic like EfNY there is really no room for error. We've seen how spotty remakes/revisits like The Fog, Precinct 13, The Thing, or Halloween are. I hear Christine is in the works. I want to see someone take a crack at They Live, which is SUPER RELEVANT for today, More stuff like Vampire$ or, dare I say it, another chapter for Big Trouble in Little China (not a reboot, but a continuation).

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Is radio silence a person?

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
It can't be worse than LA. Worst fucking sequel ever. Either way, I'm not really hot on these new digs at Carpenters filmography. They have sucked ass everyone of them.

ChaosWalrus

Neo Member
It can't be worse than LA. Worst fucking sequel ever. Either way, I'm not really hot on these new digs at Carpenters filmography. They have sucked ass everyone of them.
I don’t think I have ever walked out of a theater more angry before or after. I watched the og probably a 100 times on cable as a 10myear old. I geeked out on the commercials for the theatrical run pining for the day when I could finally see it. Anyway, I was down for more grim Snake. Not the broad comedy choices they made. I’ve grown to appreciate it now. But it enraged and disappointed me in 1996.

I have thought for awhile this was an undervalued ip. Done right this will print cash.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
If they're going to reboot it then I don't want the same film with a modern lick of paint.

Give me a completely different twist to the same story. I want a dark, twisted wild comedy version of Escape from New York. Cast Kevin Hart as Snake, Seth Rogan as Commissioner Hauk and Kristen Wig as Maggie as examples. Also get Phil Lord and Chris Miller on as directors.

Do that and they could have one of the most successful reboots of all time.

Jinzo Prime

Gold Member
Give me a completely different twist to the same story. I want a dark, twisted wild comedy version of Escape from New York. Cast Kevin Hart as Snake, Seth Rogan as Commissioner Hauk and Kristen Wig as Maggie as examples. Also get Phil Lord and Chris Miller on as directors
That sounds way too close to 2016 Ghostbusters.

jason10mm

Gold Member
That sounds way too close to 2016 Ghostbusters.
Agreed. Treating these old IPs as a joke isn't the way. Respect them, laugh WITH theṃ, not at them.

There are strong bones with the EfNY story. It should have a bit of self deprecating humor and winking at the audience but should not be a joke from the first frame. I think it could actually lampoon CGI heavy marvel films quite well or even take some shots at the M:I or Wick films.

Two things that I don’t think they’ll be able to pull off.
1. Finding someone that can replace Kurt Russell as Snake 🐍. Good luck with that. It will most likely be a poor imitation.
2. Being able to replicate the grimy, dilapidated, burned out NYC look from the first movie. I believe Carpenter filmed in a real shitty part of St. Louis back then and didn’t have to do much to make it look that way.

Kadve

The fact that the movie succeeded in using models to simulate compute graphics still impresses me to no end

Escape_NY3.jpg

EFNY-MS-0061.jpg

I don't think a remake would work though. The movie was rooted in the politics of its era and you cant really translate it to the modern day without losing what made it work.

Agreed. Treating these old IPs as a joke isn't the way. Respect them, laugh WITH theṃ, not at them.
Wouldn't be the first time for this movie.

p18339_p_v12_an.jpg

Top Bottom