• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rage subsides...Warrior Within beaten

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Finished the game, had to use a faq to find a couple of the health upgrades for the alternate ending. Way too much backtracking involved for that stuff, unlike say...Zelda, it was difficult to grasp retreading familiar territory, traps, and enemy encampments for 20+ minutes just to bust down some cracked wall I passed by hours previous. It needed to be done so I grin and bear it.

Again the bugs were ludicrous, and though I took a time-out to secure a couple of the hidden "secret" weapons, their impact on the game was meager. It did look funny wielding a plastic flamingo and hockey stick briefly though.

Obviously the conclusion sets up PoP3 for either ending(alternate being a bit more...umm sensuous), though I kept wondering how exactly the Prince could still manipulate time without the dagger? Something to do with his medallion which I don't recall even existing in PoP1? The Dahaka was a neat foe/plot device, but the whole 'Island/Empress of Time' was too convenient to just slap into this mythology.

Surprisingly, unlike PoP1 I rarely felt the combat to be tedious busywork(thanks to the expanded moveset and lighter sprinkling of enemies), yet the puzzles and platforming actually became a bit stale in the second half. They do their best to recycle obstacles with clever twists, but the backtracking and overbearing similarities spoils the charade.

Oh and many of the time powers were far more useful and necessary in this game. I can't recall barely ever slowing down time in SoT, but in WW it was a nonstop chrono crusade.

So yea, bring on Prince 3.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i'm actually playing it right now. the glitches and the angst and the amateur nu metal prematurely ended my first playthrough, back when it came out. developer comments about a change of genre were overblown -- there's still lots of platforming, and it's still really good. i don't appreciate the backtracking or the nonlinearity, though. it introduces unwelcome friction to what was, in sands of time, a perfectly smooth formula.

so is the alternate ending worth going for? i'm not too keen on the prospect of..."sensuousness"...certainly not with those character models. but i remember reading somewhere that pop3 follows from the alternate ending.

drohne said:
i'm actually playing it right now. the glitches and the angst and the amateur nu metal prematurely ended my first playthrough, back when it came out. developer comments about a change of genre were overblown -- there's still lots of platforming, and it's still really good. i don't appreciate the backtracking or the nonlinearity, though. it introduces unwelcome friction to what was, in sands of time, a perfectly smooth formula.

so is the alternate ending worth going for? i'm not too keen on the prospect of..."sensuousness"...certainly not with those character models. but i remember reading somewhere that pop3 follows from the alternate ending.
save you some time:
http://stuckgamer.com/gui_prince_of_persia_ww_01.shtml

basically,
Kaileena isn't a stupid bitch this time, helps you fight the Dahaka, comes on your boat with you and has mad sex, and they see Babylon burning together
Pretty much it.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Yea, fortunately a bombardment of audio bugs cut short my time listening to Godsmack and guitar-cheese on a consistent basis.

The alternate ending is more than just a tweaked FMV surprisingly. The actual conclusion/tie-in is almost equally the same, but you get a different endboss to face, and a slight expansion on the horrors we will be facing in PoP3. Oh and there is one other major shift I shouldn't spoil, but let's just say Prince's return home is a bit more comfy.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Brandon F said:
Obviously the conclusion sets up PoP3 for either ending(alternate being a bit more...umm sensuous), though I kept wondering how exactly the Prince could still manipulate time without the dagger? Something to do with his medallion which I don't recall even existing in PoP1?
It's supposed to be Farah's medallion from the first game and the thing that kept her safe from the Sands of Time (although how the Prince got ahold of it is beyond me).

Top Bottom