• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Random thoughts.

Star-Lord

This morning as I was making our coffee, it occurred to me that, though we make such a big deal about our high-techie phones, consoles, etc., man, this $20 coffee maker from Wallyworld takes my cold water from the fridge, and literally in about two seconds starts turning it into piping-hot coffee. And this type of technology has been around for decades and decades. Fuckin' wow!
GeekyDad? More like GeekyGrandad, amiryte?

GeekyDad

GeekyDad? More like GeekyGrandad, amiryte?
old man hand GIF

Tschumi

Bit edgy with this one, but there's a person who lives in this share house where I've been staying for 3 months who clearly feels as though it is her obligation to give a three-ha airyheaded giggle as part of every exchange.

It's in Japanese so it's hard to follow, but it's something bordeline like:
"I think I'm going to go to bed"
"Ah yeah?"
"Yeah I'm tired"
"teeheehee yeah"
"goodnight"
"goodnight"

or

"Dinner was pretty tasty huh?"
"yeah teeheehee super delicious"
"alright well i'll see you around"
"HAheehee see you"

"Teeheehee" isn't the best communication of it, it's more like a musical "huhuhu" or something, kinda full throated and WOTNOT... so it cuts through walls and even levels of a house... yeah, chaps my ass huhuhuhuhu

Last edited:

GeekyDad

Bit edgy with this one, but there's a person who lives in this share house where I've been staying for 3 months who clearly feels as though it is her obligation to give a three-ha airyheaded giggle as part of every exchange.

It's in Japanese so it's hard to follow, but it's something bordeline like:
"I think I'm going to go to bed"
"Ah yeah?"
"Yeah I'm tired"
"teeheehee yeah"
"goodnight"
"goodnight"

or

"Dinner was pretty tasty huh?"
"yeah teeheehee super delicious"
"alright well i'll see you around"
"HAheehee see you"

"Teeheehee" isn't the best communication of it, it's more like a musical "huhuhu" or something, kinda full throated and WOTNOT... so it cuts through walls and even levels of a house... yeah, chaps my ass huhuhuhuhu
ZIPYDhhb1G9twnSyv-HYKtBaLTzVY51y9bGu8rkDUY-UhjTe7VJ4AH-nMphN_FEmkTnqahiP

More examples please.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I was taking a piss today, and randomly thought "why do I piss out of my genitals. Why do I piss out something that is used for sex? Why are they the same?"

A valid question. Why not piss out your ass hole? Would make life easier and make more sense. All waste comes out of one hole.

Evolution fucked up.

MaestroMike

Gold Member
was thanos actually bald or did he just shave his head ?? id imagine the first thing a bald man would do when he acquired all the stones was to give himself some hair...but I guess thanos was so confident in himself he just didn't GAF

Tschumi

ZIPYDhhb1G9twnSyv-HYKtBaLTzVY51y9bGu8rkDUY-UhjTe7VJ4AH-nMphN_FEmkTnqahiP

More examples please.
I'll be honest i speak to her so rarely (our language skills are the least compatible of the crew) that i struggle to think of many more that I've actually heard rather than just kind of detecting through walls...

*Having just seen a sports jersey hanging on the washing line next to women's clothing*
"Hey"
"Heyyy"
"Do you play football??"
"Huh?"
"Your shirt, above" *points* "ue ni shatsu"
"Ahh no i don't play teeheehee I'm just a superfan!"
"Ha ha oooh."
"Yeah, j-league!"
"Ohh like Urawa Reds... We are diiamonds... DoodeeDOOdee.. big crowd singing.. really cool!"
"*Blank look clearly unaware of the most famous Japanese football club*"
"Oooookay."
"Your Japanese is good!"
"*Groan*"

They say my Japanese is good if i say the tiniest sliver of a sentence -_-

pauljeremiah

Gold Member
If I can be serious on here for a moment. More than one hundred million people were killed in wars during the 20th Century, and the total number of people ever killed by wars could be as many as one billion.

Einstein described war as “a cloak that covers acts of murder”, and Antoine Saint-Exupéry called it “a disease like typhus.”

With all that in mind, here is my question/thought for everyone. Why did Hitler have such a silly moustache?

Tschumi

I just saw a new COD game, 'vanguard', and I'm like... I thought Cold War was new...

I dunno man these FPS franchises are as wild as 2010s AC

EDIT:

another one

I got to know DJ Khaled through memes on here so I thought he was a wise man, then i saw his tiktoks :p (or whatever they are) oooh boy

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I don’t understand why there isn’t some sorta death policy with digital content. We spend a fortune on our digital games, music, and movies. What happens when we die? That account is lost. Why can’t we leave a “next of kin” to our Steam, PlayStation, or Xbox accounts? What if we have a couple thousand dollars worth of good games in our account before we pass away? We didn’t give our password and two factor to someone. Our spouses and our kids don’t know what we have? Why not have Valve, Nintendo or etc contact the person in your digital will and give them access?

I realize death means all material items are gone, but we live in a digital world. Why can’t we have a system where a person will have complete access to our possessions when it’s our time to go.

I want to leave my kids my games and stuff when I die because they could play a ton of those games. If I’m dead and they can’t access my account. They are stuck having to rebuy everything or resub to a service.

Last edited:

BigBooper

Why did Hitler have such a silly moustache?
He didn't really like facial hair, but liked to save a little bit of streusel to taste throughout the day. He couldn't just carry around pie everywhere he went or he'd look extravagant and weak, so he packed it in his stache to get a little lick once in a while.

pauljeremiah

Gold Member
He didn't really like facial hair, but liked to save a little bit of streusel to taste throughout the day. He couldn't just carry around pie everywhere he went or he'd look extravagant and weak, so he packed it in his stache to get a little lick once in a while.
At the start of the first world war, he had a full moustache. But many believe that he cut it down to the small size to allow his gas mask to be more comfortable when he had to wear one.

2715992372.jpg

GeekyDad

So, I switched to an iPhone. It's built a lot better than the Samsung I had, but damn, if it doesn't make you go through so many extra steps compared to Android for such simple tasks: setting alarms, erasing texts, etc. I don't understand that shit. Love the hardware, how fast apps load and run, but jeez... Why so many extra steps?

Last edited:

dr_octagon

Banned
So, I switched to an iPhone. It's built a lot better than the Samsung I had, but damn, if it doesn't make you go through so many extra steps compared to Android for such simple tasks: setting alarms, erasing texts, etc. I don't understand that shit. Love the hardware, how fast apps load and run, but jeez... Why so many extra steps?
IPhone is great and I used to own them but the extra steps, animations, options for basic things are overkill. It isn't as intuitive as the earlier versions and androids are much improved so it's more noticeable.

Patrick S.

Banned
Do you? Have to?
I guess technically I don't have to... I could always spend my days laying on the couch and playing videogames while receiving free wellfare, housing and €400 spending money every month. But that's worse than working, in my eyes. Should have bought some bitcoin when it launched :/

GeekyDad

Jeez, man. I'm not so much concerned about the gas prices (as I get a healthy discount from my work), but these coffee prices are not cool. Eight-and-a-half bucks a bag for our everyday joe. Usually, there's a good sale every other week or so, but not only have I not seen a sale in a while, they've jacked the price up another $0.50 a bag.

Tschumi

Olympic champion-directing American athletics coach Rana Reider is being investigated for, you guessed it, sexual misconduct.. I'm not mentioning this to get people to sound off on contemporary politics... I just think you myself:

this kind of makes sense, people with unhealthy obsessions with athletic bodies may have the unhinged intensity it takes to reach the pinnacle of this discipline...

Just like the priesthood seems to make sense as a thing that would attract people with a curious/inordinate fixation on the importance/necessity of self denial and such...

Wonder if there are other hugely focused disciplines out there that demand a huge intensity of focus on something with an overlap into less healthy preoccupations...

Last edited:

GeekyDad

Had a run in yesterday with another asst. department head. She hijacked one of my employees behind my back. She knew I was still there, and instead of simply asking if she could have her for a few hours, she made an end run around me, paging my assistant instead. No, homie. Homie don't play dat shit! So, I fucking marched on over there and confronted her. I was professional, didn't raise my voice, but direct in asking why she paged my assistant rather than myself. She claims she thought I went home for the day (which we both knew was bullshit). I didn't accuse her of lying, but I asked her to please discuss such matters with me in the future. She then accused me of being rude. I said, I'm not being rude, I'm being direct, and walked off. She then sent the employee back to my department, and this poor girl thought I was mad at her. I told her I wasn't mad at her or anyone, and that she had done good work for me that day. I just clarified to her that we needed to make sure the hours were being billed to the correct department, or it would lower our sales numbers for that day. I asked her to go ahead and return to the other department.

I don't mind helping out other departments -- shit, I'll jump right in the fucking trenches for you without hesitation. But I do VERY much mind petty horseshit and thieves.

Fucking cunt! (not the worker; the cunt who stole her).

Last edited:

GeekyDad

There are many horrible offenses of man/womankind -- rape, murder, racism, genocide.

Let's add snoring to the list.

(fucking wife won't stfu!)

Celcius

°Temp. member
How do y’all meet new people during these pandemic times? Start a twitch or YouTube channel? Change jobs?

Star-Lord

How do y’all meet new people during these pandemic times? Start a twitch or YouTube channel? Change jobs?
When you say ‘meet’ people do you actually mean physically meet or just get talking to online? If online, I got talking to a fair few new people through playing on PlayStation online. If meeting them for real, local community groups on social media can help.

Star-Lord

I wasn’t aware mental health could be censored, but there ya have it. That’s almost as bad as telling someone with depression to just cheer up. Well, fuck me.

Top Bottom