• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Random thoughts.

Kev Kev

269717610_5242612972432781_5547004225775330628_n.jpg

GeekyDad

So, two of the top news stories for today are "CDC shortens quarantine for [healthcare] workers positive for COVID-19" and "Biden Will Lift Southern African Travel Ban Before Year-End."

Sure seems like they're actively trying to increase the spread of the infection, which means either there's a surplus now of vaccines, or sales are down and big pharma is pushing to get their numbers back up. Either way, seems like the time to get in on some last minute pharma investments. Maybe?

Celcius

°Temp. member
I’m unexpectedly learning house repair skills, rather than waiting around for contractors to be available. I fixed the toilet, replaced the garage door seal, and cleaned out the bathtub drains. Tomorrow I need to learn how to put up new window blinds.

GeekyDad

I find it interesting that selfies taken from below your chin look creepy and/or unflattering, whereas selfies from above your head are typically more flattering.

:messenger_ogre: :messenger_halo:

Meme Think GIF

Kev Kev

whereas selfies from above your head are typically more flattering
soooooo are we talkin big head or little head here...?

My grandfather was just diagnosed with dementia. He’s at a home now. I had breakfast with him earlier this year at a restaurant. You never know when it’s the last time you’ll get to be someone.

sorry buddy. you sound like you are a good grandson.

i never had a good relationship with my grandpa. we do the holiday and birthday family gathering stuff, but i never went out to breakfast with him, or just visited him on a sunday afternoon, or had any real significant connection with him. same with my dad.

men in my family have that whole "gotta be a real man" complex, so sentimetnal and emotional moments are kind of off the table. and by extension having any sort of deep, meaningful relationship is kinda off the table too. i dont think they meant for things to be that way, but when you build a shell around yourself in an attempt to project to the world how much of a tough guy you are, i guess there can sometimes be unintended consequences.

so again im really sorry to hear about him getting sick. i hear its pretty tough for family to experience, best of luck to all of you. not sure what kid of relationship you had with him, but it sounds like it was pretty decent, and that can be a comforting thought.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
sorry buddy. you sound like you are a good grandson.

i never had a good relationship with my grandpa. we do the holiday and birthday family gathering stuff, but i never went out to breakfast with him, or just visited him on a sunday afternoon, or had any real significant connection with him. same with my dad.

men in my family have that whole "gotta be a real man" complex, so sentimetnal and emotional moments are kind of off the table. and by extension having any sort of deep, meaningful relationship is kinda off the table too. i dont think they meant for things to be that way, but when you build a shell around yourself in an attempt to project to the world how much of a tough guy you are, i guess there can sometimes be unintended consequences.

so again im really sorry to hear about him getting sick. i hear its pretty tough for family to experience, best of luck to all of you. not sure what kid of relationship you had with him, but it sounds like it was pretty decent, and that can be a comforting thought.
Thanks a bunch. My grandfather is my last remaining grandparent. He is from another time, so he has caused a lot of turmoil with his attitude over the years. As a kid I wasn’t exposed to it enough to understand. He would take me fishing, I’d go ride a go-cart that he bought for us kids, and he would always take me out for breakfast whenever he would come and visit. I don’t think he was racists, but he would say things that just pissed people off. My grandma was catatonic before she was in her 60’s due to a unknown illness. His mind has been going and he’s in a bad state of mind. He thinks the nursing home is stealing his money, people are out to get him, and he can’t remember things. I’ve dealt with illness before. My other grandpa had Alzheimer’s and his mental health was hard on me as a kid. After a while it hardens your emotions because you’ve experienced loss over and over again.

Last edited:

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
I’m unexpectedly learning house repair skills, rather than waiting around for contractors to be available. I fixed the toilet, replaced the garage door seal, and cleaned out the bathtub drains. Tomorrow I need to learn how to put up new window blinds.
It was a good thing for me though I always loved renovations but didn't have all the skillset. I live alone and know no-one here and thus I was forced to learn some new skills. It just shows how school is useless in general and we're not taught to be self efficient enough.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
Within 2 generations all of us will be forgotten.
It's why I bought myself a tombstone and lot. It'll be probably a generation but going to the cemetery, I always wondered what kind of people they were. That started in High School where we had to go to the cemetery and researched random people, it was a fascinating albeit dark exercise.

Kev Kev

"all of these things are things that everybody has trouble with sometimes, its just that people with ADD have a lot more trouble with them."

this is a great video. very well explained by this man, and easy to follow/understand

Last edited:

Karmic Raze

I finally have a free day tomorrow to do whatever I want after doing nothing but taking care of my sister for the last week who just got out of the hospital. Really looking forward to it.

GeekyDad

I know I'm slow to the punch, but it just occurred to me why I think Apple makes everything so long and drawn out in terms of setting timers, changing settings, etc. I think they want users to rely more heavily on and get used to using SIRI. Gotta be honest, it's pretty nice to simply ask her to do something or set something, but it's also a little eerie.

H9BUOWRh.jpg

Karmic Raze

I dunno. I’ve never used Siri even once on my either my iPad Pro or my iPhone 11 Pro Max. I’d rather just do things myself, I guess.

?

Every year, we live on the day we will die someday, and we obviously have no idea what day it is that will be our last. It’s just something that’s crossed my mind a few times before and it’s a bit creepy to think about.

It’s 1am, my English might be bad right now.

GeekyDad

I think most of us have loved Leonard Nimoy's Spock over the decades. Inspiring and identifiable in so many ways.

But Spock was...well, a rapist. That mindmeld with Valeris at the end of Star Trek VI was not only forced, but he was mentally brutal when she wouldn't (couldn't) tell them where the conference was being held. I mean, you can see the immediate remorse and shame on Spock's face when he released her, and it was a moving moment you could understand, but terrible in its own way nonetheless.

Can someone explain the “triggered” reaction here? I mean, I know what being triggered is, but, does it mean the person reacting is triggered, or, does it mean my post seems like I’m triggered?

I can’t go to bed until I know the answer.

GeekyDad

Can someone explain the “triggered” reaction here? I mean, I know what being triggered is, but, does it mean the person reacting is triggered, or, does it mean my post seems like I’m triggered?

I can’t go to bed until I know the answer.
Honestly, though it says "triggered," I mostly used it in place of a "cringe" reaction because the expression of the smiley is kinda how I'm feeling in response to the post. The main thing to consider is, the smileys are "reactions," so it should be how the person who posted it is feeling, not how they think you're feeling/thinking.

Even though it’s the person’s reaction, I was thinking in my head “maybe they think I’m upset by this irl and it’s mind games telling me I’m triggered”.

I would do that tbh so figured maybe others had that same idea.

GeekyDad

Even though it’s the person’s reaction, I was thinking in my head “maybe they think I’m upset by this irl and it’s mind games telling me I’m triggered”.

I would do that tbh so figured maybe others had that same idea.
Understandable. I've wondered that on occasion. Hopefully, they'll expand the options over time.

GeekyDad

You know, if you think about it, life is kinda like a courtroom.

Your boss is the prosecution. Your wife (or significant other) is the defense. And God (or your higher power) is the judge.

You work when your boss tells you to work, and you do what he or she directs you do while you're there. Your significant other tells you when you take your vacations/personal days, and what you're going to do during that time. And well, God decides whether or not any of that is actually going to happen.

Tschumi

Holy fuck. What keepers giving me the charmingsearches bug? Every time I reinstal chrome it is fine for a random length of time then i start getting redirected to fucking bing. I want to block bing. I'm gonna block bing. Fuck bing. Fuck charmingsearches much more. Someone tell me about it? What can I do?

GeekyDad

The mother of one of my employees passed away yesterday while she was still on the clock. This particular employee, I think, hates my guts, and it makes getting through each day its own challenge. But when I saw her in the back hall sobbing and crying her eyes out like a small child, I began to cry myself and instinctively started to try and console her.

Oy...

Star-Lord

The mother of one of my employees passed away yesterday while she was still on the clock. This particular employee, I think, hates my guts, and it makes getting through each day its own challenge. But when I saw her in the back hall sobbing and crying her eyes out like a small child, I began to cry myself and instinctively started to try and console her.

Oy...
It’s one of those situations where you want to carry on hating them, but the human in you just wants to reach out and comfort them. It’s not a bad thing, per se, but it is annoying when the other person is usually a complete dick.

GeekyDad

It’s one of those situations where you want to carry on hating them, but the human in you just wants to reach out and comfort them. It’s not a bad thing, per se, but it is annoying when the other person is usually a complete dick.
Well, to be clear, I don't have any ill feelings toward her. I think whatever she feels toward me is perhaps misplaced. But to be honest, it was comforting to see her humanity again. I'm sorry for her loss, and her reaction seemed to suggest she was either very close to her mother, or just had a lot of welled up emotions that her mother's passing released.

GeekyDad

It's a simple thing, but it's so appreciated: the ignore button. It just makes navigating threads so much easier. And it's not simply a matter of distasteful threads; there are some threads that are about things I don't want to spoil, or be tempted by, etc. Just having it right there, so I don't even have to enter the thread is really helpful.

Star-Lord

Guy on the tram literally smelled like an ash tray. Revolting. First time I've deliberately moved seats.
I’ve had to do it a couple of times. It happens mainly in the summer. Cramped public transport, hot weather, and unhygienic people do not mix well. There was one guy, looked about thirty stone, and he stunk of BO. There was literally a perimeter around him, like an invisible forcefield ensuring people stay at least five feet away from him.

Top Bottom