• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ranking Japanese game directors/producers/companies by the # of 40/40 Famitsu reviews under their belt

Komatsu

I've been going through some older copies of Famitsu (there's a bunch online) and I had the idea of ranking all major Japanese game designers/directors/companies/producers by the # of perfect titles under their belt. The results are interesting...

DIRECTORS

Here are the ones with more than one title under their belt:

Hideo Kojima (3)
Metal Gear Solid IV
Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker
Metal Gear Solid V

Yasumi Matsuno (2)
Vagrant Story
Final Fantasy XII* left his directorial position before the game's release

Hidemaro Fujiyabashi (2)
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Masahiro Sakurai (2)
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Kid Icarus: Uprising

Those with just one (1) 40/40 title:

Hideki Kamiya
Eiji Aonuma
Motomu Toriyama
Shigeru Miyamoto
Junichi Masuda

... and others

PRODUCERS

Shigeru Miyamoto (3)

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - also served as Director
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
Nintendogs

*as creative fellow, Miyamoto has some kind of "Producer" billing in most Nintendo titles. I'm not including those with which he wasn't directly involved, otherwise we could put all 9 Nintendo 40/40 games under his belt.

Eiji Aonuma (2)
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Yasumi Matsuno (2)
Vagrant Story - also director
Final Fantasy XII* at one point served as Executive Producer, after his departure, his final credit was as writer

I'm not going to list those with only 1 production credit.

COMPANIES

Nintendo - 9 titles
Square Enix - 5 titles
SEGA - 3 titles
Konami - 3 titles
Namco - 2 titles

Last edited:

Dane

Absolutely. Still can't believe they awarded Peace Walker (great game, but not a 10) and Nintendogs 40/40. It's an interesting exercise though.

The Nintendogs is the one who caused all the donwnfall, after that, most games would come here and have a 20% of score difference for less.

Kojibros stay winnin :messenger_sunglasses:
Hayters stay Haytin'

jVQGhkQ.jpg

Fbh

Imagine being some passionate young japanese guy hoping to make it big int he video game industry some day.
And every morning as you look at yourself in the mirror you are like: "you can do it, just keep working hard. It might not be today or tomorrow, but someday you are going to make something as good as Nintendogs"

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I think it was around the time Nintendogs got a 40 that it felt like they would just throw a perfect score at any piece of shit with enough hype.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Famitsu reviews in a nutshell:

Nintendo game: 10/10/10/10
AAA game: 9/10/9/10
B-tier game: 7/8/7/8
Budget games like indies or Simple 2000: 5/6/5/6

Chance of all 4 reviews:

- Having the same score: 40%
- Having a deviation of 1 pt: 40%
- Having one review score having a 2 pt deviation: 20%
- Having one review score having a 3 pt or more deviation: 0%

Last edited:

KOMANI

KOMANI
No, seriously, imagine giving 39/40 to Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater and 40 to Peace Walker.
Weekly Famitsu appears as a Magazine item in the Japanese version of Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker, as part of the game's product placement that was conceptualized by series creator Hideo Kojima. This was also done to celebrate its 1100th issue that was released December 2009.
to be fair, Famitsu also appears in MGS3.

caffeware

Banned
Talking about Matsuno: The guy just dropped so low after FFXII.

He only made one mini 3ds game, one psp remake (as writer), one kickstarter scam, and that ff xiv thing since. :messenger_persevering::messenger_persevering::messenger_persevering:

KàIRóS

You guys don't know how much I want Matsuno to make new games, he has brilliant storytelling skills and he's just not puttng them to use.

I've been waiting forever to see another Final Fantasy Tactics with him in charge.

Komatsu

Talking about Matsuno: The guy just dropped so low after FFXII.

He only made one mini 3ds game, one psp remake (as writer), one kickstarter scam, and that ff xiv thing since. :messenger_persevering::messenger_persevering::messenger_persevering:

He worked with Platinum for a little bit - he worked on MadWorld as scriptwriter. But yes, besides that FFXIV raid, he hasn't really done anything. He collaborated with Hiroshi Minagawa (his former art director), who directed Tactics Ogre for the PSP, but that's it.

Top Bottom