• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rare’s Jet Force Gemini coming to Nintendo Switch Online in December

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
I could never get into this game

It’s kinda insane how many games rare churned out in the n64 era…

Blast corps, Goldeneye, Banjo 1 & 2, Diddy Kong Racing, Perfect Dark, Conkers Bad Fur Day, Jet Force Gemini, Donkey Kong 64

Like what the fuck…all that in like 4 years…and they almost had that Dino game released too

Last edited:

tylrdiablos

I remember wanting to like this game but:
1: The controls are iffy at best and take a while to get used to. Especially if you're trying to aim precisely.
2: You get to a certain point in the game wherethe story forces you to go back and rescue every little tribal bear Ewok-lookin thing. Every. Single. One. (I'm pretty sure both yourselves and your enemies can accidentally shoot the bears, forcing you to restart the level.)

I'll wait and see on this one.

Last edited:

Shifty1897

I was obsessed with this game as a kid, but I never beat it because you basically have to find and rescue every hostage in the game, and the enemies will mow down hostages the second they are alerted to your presence.
I wonder if 38 year old me could do it now.

Valt7786

Managed to get to the final boss on this as a kid, loved it but that fucking boss fight was ridiculously hard. Probably not so bad now but at the time, yeesh. Never did beat it :(

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
Managed to get to the final boss on this as a kid, loved it but that fucking boss fight was ridiculously hard. Probably not so bad now but at the time, yeesh. Never did beat it :(

R.8f580376ea5ec75d5b82fb6e56bdbf63

nkarafo

This game has weird controls.

Just about every FPS game on the N64 can be configured in such way that can play almost like a dual stick modern shooter. And that applies for both the real (original) controller and dual stick controllers on emulators. But i never managed to setup the controls for this game to be anywhere near like that. They are a mess.

nkarafo

I could never get into this game

It’s kinda insane how many games rare churned out in the n64 era…

Blast corps, Goldeneye, Banjo 1 & 2, Diddy Kong Racing, Perfect Dark, Conkers Bad Fur Day, Jet Force Gemini, Donkey Kong 64

Like what the fuck…all that in like 4 years…and they almost had that Dino game released too
And you forgot about Killer Instinct and Mickey's Speedway USA.

Chukhopops

Look at all this beloved IP that Microbrain will never utilize.
Goldeneye, Diddy Kong and Donkey Kong don’t belong to Microsoft.

Banjo had remaster rumors last year, don’t know if it’s true or not.

That leaves Conker, Blast Corps and Jet force Gemini which I wouldn’t call beloved IP except mayyybe Conker which had a game on OG Xbox.

NeptuneCL

The game is truly a gem. I recall playing it for hours back in 1999. Love the music, is unique, atmospheric and really, really good.

The controls are outdated, but is understandable, those were the begginings of 3D third-person shooters.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I played it on Rare Replay where it has somewhat modern controls and got pretty far, but then there was this first-person mini-game that of course you have to ace to be able to finish the game. Try as I may, I just couldn’t do it with the enormous deadzones of the Xbox controller. I quit there and then. Rare’s obsession with having the player 100% their games got really obnoxious after Banjo-Kazooie (which remains their 3D collectathon masterpiece by virtue of being way more lenient than what came after).

Incidentally, in the RR version I tried the original controls and switched back so fast. It felt like my brain was physically tying itself into a knot.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
HELL YES. It's like Nintendo knew I bought a N64 Cartridge just to play this 2 weeks ago.

Hope the controls are good.

The only other games I'd consider close to JFG is Ratchet and Clank series.

The game has it's shortcomings with collect the Koalas and a couple minigames but other then that it's a enjoyable 3rd person shooter with an amazing OST.

Heimdall_Xtreme Heimdall_Xtreme You find and build a robot and the Robot can aim and shoot stuff as Player 2. It's a lot of fun with a friend.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I remember wanting to like this game but:
1: The controls are iffy at best and take a while to get used to. Especially if you're trying to aim precisely.
2: You get to a certain point in the game wherethe story forces you to go back and rescue every little tribal bear Ewok-lookin thing. Every. Single. One. (I'm pretty sure both yourselves and your enemies can accidentally shoot the bears, forcing you to restart the level.)

I'll wait and see on this one.
Well, in this case, the app allows for game state saves.

boo

Gold Member
Oh. Wow. Yes. I thought this game would come a lot later, if at all.

I remember just running around, enjoyed the the cool cartoon graphics, weapons, characters and music, sounds, I just really got into that gaming world. Not good enough of a gamer to actually get through the whole story. One of my favorite Rare games. I wonder how it will be revisiting this game after all this time.

BossLackey

Gold Member
One of the weirdest games I've ever played. Weird mechanics. Weird gameplay. Weird characters. Weird controls. Horrible performance.

Game was straight up not fun.

Top Bottom