• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rate the PlayStation Consoles by Library

Jubenhimer

As we approach the PlayStation 5, I feel like we should take a look back at some of the past PlayStation consoles in terms of how they stand up in terms of game library. PlayStation systems are known for their vast, and varied game libraries, filled with both quality first and third party software. So here's my ranking for each PlayStation system in terms of variety, quality, and quantity.

1. PlayStation 2
800px-PS2-Versions.jpg

What else is there to say about the PS2? It didn't sell over 157 million units by doing nothing. The undisputed king of the 6th Generation. The PS2 encapsulates early 2000s gaming far better than any competing console at the time, with a seemingly endless lineup of Platformers, Racers, Fighters, RPGs, Many of them originally exclusive to the platform, and many of which still hold up today. It also birthed some of Sony's biggest first party properties such as Ratchet & Clank, God of War, and Killzone. Sure it may not have had the power or ease of development as the Xbox or Nintendo GameCube, and its massive library meant that there was a ton of garbage to wade through. But its massive success meant that developers couldn't ignore it.

2. PlayStation 4
1280px-PS4-Console-wDS4.jpg

After a generation of Brown and Grey Shooters, and motion controlled music games that went on far longer than it should've, The PS4 couldn't have arrived at a better time in 2013. Eschewing the convoluted Cell Architecture of the PlayStation 3 in favor a cheaper, and far more reliable PC-based chipset, The PS4 was the easiest PlayStation to develop for, and much like the PS1 and PS2, was the leader of its generation, defining what gaming in the 2010s would be like thanks to its wide array of new social features, and unprecedented game library. If a game exists, chances are, there's a PS4 version, and chances are, it'd be the definitive version. Much like the PS2, the PS4 boasts a vast, and seemingly endless library of AAA, indie, First party titles, and everything in between. While it doesn't have nearly as many actual exclusives as the PS2 did, due to the realities of modern game development, the PS4 still boasts the largest catalog of software for those in the market for a new home gaming system.

3. PlayStation
1280px-PSX-Console-wController.jpg

The console that started it all. The PlayStation completely shook up the video game industry when it debuted. It made disc-based media a mandatory necessity, dethroned industry veterans Nintendo and Sega, and open the medium up to an audience of young adults that otherwise had no interest in video games. It's library is vast and just like the PS2 and PS4, spans nearly every genre. There's just one problem. A lot of its games simply don't hold up today. Either due to hardware limitations, or just the fact that this was the early era of 3D gaming. There's still a lot of great games in the PlayStation catalog, but many of them were also reborn in either superior remakes, or sequels on future hardware that did them better justice. So while it brought a lot of great franchises and games to the table, its overall library is only worth looking at for either nostalgia or retrospect.

4. PlayStation Portable
1024px-Psp-1000.jpg

PlayStation's first foray into on-the-go gaming. The PSP gave you PS2 style graphics and gameplay in the palm of your hand, plus a variety of multi-media functions that in many ways, laid the ground work for the smartphones we carry with us now. It's actual library was also solid, consisting of a good variety of genres from both Sony and third party publishers. Though it faced a large amount of competition from the Nintendo DS and its even larger library, the PSP held its own thanks to its more powerful hardware, allowing for different types of games that what you'd find on Nintendo's platform. It's mainly held back by not having a ton of groundbreaking exclusives, with many of its games either being downscaled adaptations of console franchises, or solid B-tier titles like Loco Roco.

5. PlayStation 3
Sony-PlayStation-3-2001A-wController-L.jpg

The most divisive console in the franchise. The PS3 was built on a then-ultra powerful, and highly complex Cell Broadband architecture that while impressive, made the console a pain in the ass to do work with. As a result, many of the console's early multiplatform games often looked and played worse than their Xbox 360 counterparts, despite technically being the more powerful machine. Plus, as games became more expensive to develop, the PS3 didn't have nearly as many games it could call its own, and thus, features a far smaller, less varied lineup than previous PlayStaion home consoles as a result. That's not to say it didn't have a lot of great games, because it did. Sony beefed up its first party support for the PS3 later on to compensate for the third party troubles, which birthed critically acclaimed darlings like the Uncharted Series, The Last of Us, and Journey. Towards the end, many multiplatform titles began actually being competent versions, many even offering PlayStation owners exclusive content. So while it's by no means a terrible console, the PS3 was a step down from its predecessors in terms of library

6. PlayStation Vita
1024px-PlayStation-Vita-1101-FL.jpg

Now we get to the black sheep of the PlayStation franchise. The PS Vita was Sony's final hat thrown into the uncertain handheld gaming arena, at a time when games on Smartphones were reaching their peak. Including consoles and handhelds, its the least successful PlayStation system in history, with less than 20 million units sold worldwide. Aside from some early crappy console ports, niche Japanese titles, and a solid selection of indie games, the Vita pretty much had no long-term third party support worth mentioning, which is unheard of for a PlayStation console. Even Sony itself didn't really know what they wanted to do with this damn thing, as they supported it mostly with watered down PS3-like titles, before giving up in 2014 to focus on the much more profitable PlayStation 4. Despite some cult hits like Terraway and Gravity Rush, the PS Vita is the weakest in terms of library, which is a shame given how much potential the device had early on.

Last edited:

Bakkus

Really tough. 2 and 1 are definitely the superior ones given all their exclusives, but it's hard to decide between the two. I'd put PSP also above 3. Vita is last, though.

1. PlayStation 2 PlayStation 2
2. PlayStation 3 PlayStation 3
3. PlayStation PlayStation
4. PlayStation Vita PlayStation Vita

This is based on the PlayStation platforms I've owned. And to be fair, the PS3 had some strong exclusives along with interesting Japanese developed games (Folklore, Siren: Blood Curse, Vanquish etc) along with what came first on the Xbox 360, so at least for myself it isn't far behind the PS2 in regards to quality offerings. Most likely if I had played the PSP, I would have ranked it above the Vita, no question because funnily enough I played more PS1 and PSP games on the newer handheld than actual exclusives due to Sony's lack of support and over-reliance on indie games.

Last edited:

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
It's between the PS1 and PS2 for the number one spot. So many great games that represented the peak of creativity in gaming, and most of the good ones were never ported.

After that, it's the PS4. Nowhere near as many exclusives, but an ungodly number of good games that are arguably as good as or better than they are on other platforms.

PS3 is at the bottom of the pile. It's a minidisc-tier offering from Sony. Utter garbage. I'd rank it below the PS5, which doesn't have any games yet, but at least has hope.

Last edited:

RCU005

For me:
1) PS3
I loved many games for the PS3. My first favorite game was Heavenly Sword. I've spent many hours playing PS3 games.

2) PS4
I only bought games that I knew I'd like, and I still have to play many more.

3) PS1
I didn't have a PS1, but my neighbor did. He used to buy pirated games, and allowed us to play so many games. But at that time, I used to like the N64 more.

4) PSP
I bought it at launch and loved it. It has so many great games.

5) PS2
I didn't have a PS2 until after I got a PS3 Slim (since my launch PS3 broke). However, thanks to BC on PS3 I got to play many great PS2 games, but not so many.

6) PSV
I liked many games for PSV, but never got more than 10. I spent the money on PS4 games instead. It's bad it didn't get more support, and I ended up using my PS Vita with Remote Play the most.

Last edited:
I didn’t realize how hard this would be. The PlayStation line has been pretty fantastic. After ranking everything, I’m surprised to see basically I guess I think every generation has gotten better than the last. It must be because I like action/adventure the most, and those style games generally get better with every generation.

1. PS4
2. PS3
3. PS2
4. PSP
5. PS1
6. PSV

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
1. PlayStation 1
2. PlayStation 4
3. PlayStation 2
4. PlayStation Vita + Portable (it’s coz you can play majority of the PSP games on Vita)
5. PlayStation 3

GametimeUK

PS3 - This generation just ticked all the right boxes for me. I didn't have the eye to spot performance issues like I do now so ignorance is a bliss as far as this console is concerned. Online multiplayer was new and amazing for me and games like Black Ops, Warhawk, Splinter Cell, Uncharted, Battlefield and Fat Princess etc were amazing.

Third party games were also amazing, but Sony were killing it with their exclusives such as Infamous, Uncharted, The Last of Us, Killzone 2. HD remasters and collections were well done for the time.

I don't know how to properly word my feelings towards the library of this generation of games, but everything just felt right for the time. I was just in an amazing place in my life at this time too so maybe that helped.

teezzy

Banned
Ps2. Top 5 console fuggin dope but not as dope as any xbox. Sweet jrpgs and survival horror.

Ps1. Doper than lame ass sissy boy cuck 64, sweet JRPGs, and survival horror. Seriously such a sick console would be top 5 if ps2 didnt play all its games.

Psp. Put CFW on this dope fuckin handheld and it shits dope diarrhea all over Nintendo cuck Switch

Ps4. Until dawn, last guardian, bloodborne, and horizon zero dawn are all games I wish I could play on xbox or pc 😓😤

Ps3. 3d dot heroes is dope but everything else sucks balls compared to dopeness diggity bomb GOAT xbox 360. Cool cell processor works great with my cyber fridge

Vita. I've never even held one before. Probably cooler than Switch though.

Garfield-Holding-Stick.gif

kunonabi

I made a big master list of favorite games by platform to redo my top 100 games of all time and based on those numbers:

1. PlayStation - 29
2. PlayStation 2 - 19
3. PlayStation 4 - 6
4. PlayStation 3 - 3

Aion002

PS2 - best library ever on a console (nothing can beat Shadow Hearts, Radiata, Kuon, Way of The Samurai, Rogue Galaxy, Kingdom Hearts, Dark Cloud, VP2, Xenosaga and many others)
PS1
PS4
PS3
PSP
PSV - real low point, the only Sony console that I bought less than 20 games, however.... it's really well made.

Last edited:
PS2 is king then it's kind of even after that. I guess I'd go PS2>PS3>PS4>PS1. Some classics from the 32 bit era but I think overall the 5th generation is kind of rough going back to.

It's tough deciding between Ps3 and 4

Codes 208

1. PS2
2. PSP
3. PS4
4. PS1
5. PS3

would like to note that the ps3 would likely be much higher on this list if I hadnt prefered to play just about all third party games on the 360. That said the ps2 and psp were wonderful systems that helped bring me into the sony exclusives.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Taking into account the context of their respective eras, it's gotta be this for me:

1. PlayStation
2. PlayStation 2 (albeit a close second)
3. PlayStation 4
4. PSP
5. PlayStation 3
6. PlayStation Vita

The lead the PlayStation had in library quality, breadth, and depth compared to the competition at the time was simply unrivaled.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kokoro2020

PS4
PS3
PS2
PS1

As far as the main consoles go, I thought each had a better library than the last. The fact that the PS3 and PS4 have a lot of older games alongside the new games helps too.

93xfan

Banned
PS4
PS3
PS2
PS1

As far as the main consoles go, I thought each had a better library than the last. The fact that the PS3 and PS4 have a lot of older games alongside the new games helps too.
If considering BC and remasters, PS3 is king.

as far as new games, I’d probably go PS2 or PS1. It’s hard to pick one over the other

Naked Lunch

1. PS2 -Legendary library. I immediately think MGS 2/3, the Ace Combat holy trinity, Silent Hill 2/3, and FFXII.
2. PS1 -It has Vagrant Story. Nuff said.
3. PS3 -All bout MGS4, Demons, Ketsui, and Gran Turismo 6.
4. PS4 -Looking back, the most recent generation sucked ass for games.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
1. PS1 - Doesn't have the size of its successors, but coming at a time when the industry as a whole was more varied, you have absolute banger classics like the Tony Hawks, Tekkens, Gran Turismos, Final Fantasies, etc as well as weird experimental titles like Vib Ribbon, Jumping Flash, Incredible Crisis, etc.

2. PS2 - Library was absolutely massive and you can't argue with classics like the OG GTA3 trilogy, Sly Coopers, Ratchet and Clanks, etc. Plus they started bundling two KoFs together in one for the gen.

3. PS4 - Huge library of indies and AAA titles. Though the weaknesses of this generation, games as a service,microtransactions, etc really detract from experiences that could have been better.

4. PSP - Fantastic library and would rank even higher if I included the things homebrew brought to the table. While I was more likely to be packing my DS around in this era of my late teensearly 20s, the fact is that even a decade after its launch I was likely to be booting Adrenaline on my Vita and playing through PSP classics like Trails in the Sky. Which I think people forget franchises like Trails and Danganronpa started on this little guy.

5. PS3 - PS3 died for me when they got rid of spiderman font. But seriously, it was a mixed bag. Classic titles but usually inferior multiplats. I was living in Yokohama at the time though and the PS3 launch still is one of my weirder experiences. Being a 5'10"(178cm) white woman in line I got a lot of weird looks and creepy advances.

6. PS Vita- Like anime titties? This one is for you.

HE1NZ

Banned
You can play every PS1 game on PS3. And best PS2 games have a PS3 remaster (and Xbox is better for multiplatforms). I prefer PS3 for that. Mostly playing old games on it.
PS3>PSP>PS4>PS2>VITA>PS1

Last edited:

Jubenhimer

IMO PSVR really should be mentioned as a seperate console.

1. PS4
2. PSVR
3. PS3
These are the only PS consoles I've owned and I (still) love em all.

I consider the PSVR more so a peripheral than a distinct platform, mainly because it requires a PS4 to even function, and nearly all PSVR titles are still branded as PS4 games. So any PS VR supported or required title counts as part of the PS4 library. That's like counting the PlayStation Move or Eye Toy Separate platforms.

Last edited:
Top Bottom