• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Washington Post: Console exclusivity key to ‘Final Fantasy VII Rebirth’ success, team says

Fbh

I remember them saying the same for FFXVI.
Then you played the game and could see how BS it was.

"Only by focusing on Ps5 could we make these empty environments with nothing to do in them, linear dungeons consisting of corridors connecting round combat arenas, small towns with nothing to do in them, sidequests that would have felt at home in a F2P Korean MMO from 2005.... and all of it running in glorious 45fps at 720p".

Last edited:

consoul

When Gene changed the title, he changed it to one that doesn't even fit the article.

How does this article support the idea that console exclusivity is key to the success of Final Fantasy VII Rebirth? The team didn't say that, and the article doesn't make a case for it.

It does suggest that securing exclusivity was key to Playstation's success, but not the other way around.

Rebirth would have been successful with or without being Playstation exclusive.

Tiamat2san

So exclusive, you can't find physical versions of FFVII Remake Intergrade and FFVII Reunion (on PS5) anywhere brand new.
I got some where i work (in France).
I am pretty sure that’s the same for other stores in my country.

Maybe it’s a local problem where you live.

I typically dont care for moneyhats but this seems like an original investment from Sony back when it was first announced. I think this was around 2014-2015 when Phil was cancelling games like Scalebound while buying Minecraft for billions so this is on him. He couldve easily outbid sony or invested enough to secure a multiplatform release like Peter Moore did for FF13.

regardless, im not a fan of how this game was allowed to ship despite its visual inconsistencies. if the whole point of securing exclusives in one platform dedicated dev resulting in more polish and assistance from Sony engineers then this game should not have released with this many visual oddities. FF16 was a very polished experience in the 30 fps mode despite the uneven performance but i cant say the same for the 30 fps mode in Rebirth. If sony wants to buy these exclusives, they need to ensure visual standards that match their own first party standards.

I don't know I've enjoyed all the games in the various modes they have. Were they perfect? No but more than good enough to play. They games were also rated highly among journalist and fans. I don't certainly don't want to see them wasting anymore time trying to find that perfect balance of performance some of you need to have so you can study random rocks in the field and make sure the texture is perfect. I know spinning around and seeing Clouds goofy face is horrible but how much are you expecting me to care when I play the game and almost never see his face because I'm busy playing not spinning around and taking cool screen shots.

I don't know maybe I'm just easy to please. I think the games looked and performed great.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
They're not in competition with PC.
Sony is. Square is not.
Pc this away console sales. Clear as day. Sure, they will move games on pc but they make more money selling on their own psn and stoking consoles and accessories.
Releasing on pc lowers exclusives pull for new players to get a console. Now they can get a pc.
Or like my 4080 pc friend, he got ps5 for gt7. He waited and waited and said screw it and got it And he loves it. For bloodborne, ff16, got some other stuff too.

If this stuff was on pc he would get it for 20$ from cd keys. No console, nothing. Now the dude will get psvr2 and elite headset too.

Now that’s what exclusives do

Barakov

Gold Member
image0.png

Source
Well, I guess exclusives do matter.
dj khaled sip GIF by Apple Music

Sony is. Square is not.
Pc this away console sales. Clear as day. Sure, they will move games on pc but they make more money selling on their own psn and stoking consoles and accessories.
Releasing on pc lowers exclusives pull for new players to get a console. Now they can get a pc.
Or like my 4080 pc friend, he got ps5 for gt7. He waited and waited and said screw it and got it And he loves it. For bloodborne, ff16, got some other stuff too.

If this stuff was on pc he would get it for 20$ from cd keys. No console, nothing. Now the dude will get psvr2 and elite headset too.

Now that’s what exclusives do

The reality is they have to balance out which is worth more. Sure they will lose some people no question. Will it be enough though? Even if it is to many people they could always just stop and end the program. Might take a while for people to come back but they would end up in the same position as your friend eventually and come back to buying the console.

kiphalfton

I got some where i work (in France).
I am pretty sure that’s the same for other stores in my country.

Maybe it’s a local problem where you live.

I guess it's an American thing; preemptively stop carrying games.

Was also an issue with Xenoblade Chronicles 2 as well as a number of switch games.

I'm guessing physical releases have good reception over seas.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Pretty expensive and bad deal for both parties i presume??

Remake sold some 7 million copies, probably just broke even. Rebirth sales will be limited by number of people who played Remake. So am assuming it will barely break even as well.

As for Sony, they are still paying pretty penny for marketing like this. Doubtful their 30% cut will amount to 100-200 million it must’ve cost to market these games.

You think FF7:Remake cost over $350 million to make and market?

Bridges

One of these days I'll get my grubby green hands on FF7 remake

It only took 18 years for Kingdom Hearts, I'm anticipating less for this

You think FF7:Remake cost over $350 million to make and market?
Not sure about marketing costs cause those could be anything. Am assuming a figure must be included in exclusivity contract and since SE is making it exclusive, they must’ve negotiated for a high figure.

As for development costs, FF games aren’t exactly cheap titles. They have all the trappings of expensive AAA titles. $200 million sounds conservative to me. It used to cost $60 full price back at release, and all sales were not at full price.

If you make an educated guess, isn’t hard to see profit wouldn’t be too great.

Most importantly, FF failed to grow as a franchise. It should be doing 20-30 million copies for investment it requires.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark

Washington Post: Console exclusivity key to ‘Final Fantasy VII Rebirth’ success, team says​

That’s a simple observation to make I know PlayStation gamers are hungry for games.

Vroadstar

Pretty expensive and bad deal for both parties i presume??

Remake sold some 7 million copies, probably just broke even. Rebirth sales will be limited by number of people who played Remake. So am assuming it will barely break even as well.

As for Sony, they are still paying pretty penny for marketing like this. Doubtful their 30% cut will amount to 100-200 million it must’ve cost to market these games.

Big Brother Hug GIF by Big Brother After Dark

Killjoy-NL

Then what *are* you crusading over right now. If you have the game on PS5, you should be enjoying it. This topic shouldn't concern you 🤷‍♂️

uBVvC08.gif

That would still be there regardless of of if I cut the part about the games importance to the playstation. Not really understanding the problem here, Toph.
Just buy a PS5

BlazinAm

In terms of branding it is the biggest title Sony has for the 1H of 2024 on Playstation. I don't think that they expected Helldivers 2 to be the game that it is. Makes sense it worked out for both sides in this case.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I don’t I agree with Rebirth is successful because it ”exclusive” but FFVII was always been part of PlayStation, most of audience for that game in own PlayStation system rather than Xbox.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
You seem annoyed by it's console-exclusivity, though.

Which is weird, since you can play it without a problem.

I'm already playing the game, and you've severely misread if that's the feel you're getting. I simply hearkened some of my friends posts from before implying that Square can release the game on Xbox, they deliberately chose not to. This article is pretty much saying Sony have retained console exclusivity to the game(s).

Raven117

I mean, Final Fantasy VII has been a big deal for PlayStation since the 90s. It's the only reason I bought a PS1 back then, and it's a huge reason why I bought a PS5 (along with Final Fantasy XVI). Hell, I bought a PS2 to play Final Fantasy X, and a PS4 just to play Type-0 and Final Fantasy XV.
Yup. It was THE reason I switched from Nintendo snes to ps1. (And I could only get one console per generation as a kid so it was a HUGE decision).

Had a PlayStation ever since

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

I'm already playing the game, and you've severely misread if that's the feel you're getting. I simply hearkened some of my friends posts from before implying that Square can release the game on Xbox, they deliberately chose not to. This article is pretty much saying Sony have retained console exclusivity to the game(s).
"Svensson said that console exclusivity was mutually desired"

Square is free to put the game on Xbox, but chose not to.
Not yet, anyway.

Your friends are right.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
"Svensson said that console exclusivity was mutually desired"

Square is free to put the game on Xbox, but chose not to.
Not yet, anyway.

Your friends are right.

They can't tho, Svensson also said they've secured the (console) exclusivity.

And I'm gonna go on a limb and say the securing part was done with fat stacks of money, not with gestures and goodwill. Square can't put the game out on other consoles due to that, for an unknown x amount of time.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

And I'm gonna go on a limb and say the securing part was done with fat stacks of money, not with gestures and goodwill. Square can't put the game out on other consoles due to that, for an unknown x amount of time.
The writer was paraphrasing. Notice the lack of quotation-marks?

Why would Sony fork out a large sum of cash when SE wants console-exclusivity as well?

Not saying it couldn't have happened, but it wasn't even implied by Svensson, going by that article.

Besides, Sony literally saved Square from going bankrupt once, after Square asked them to buy shares.
They are very close.

Last edited:

SHA

But Sony can't stick to the past forever, they need to look forward, it's like corporates looking down on us for listening to niche market, they don’t really have solid plans for upcoming games, it's a weakness actually.

mckmas8808

Not sure about marketing costs cause those could be anything. Am assuming a figure must be included in exclusivity contract and since SE is making it exclusive, they must’ve negotiated for a high figure.

As for development costs, FF games aren’t exactly cheap titles. They have all the trappings of expensive AAA titles. $200 million sounds conservative to me. It used to cost $60 full price back at release, and all sales were not at full price.

If you make an educated guess, isn’t hard to see profit wouldn’t be too great.

Most importantly, FF failed to grow as a franchise. It should be doing 20-30 million copies for investment it requires.

This is nuts bro! Pure insanity! 25 million units sold per game at an average price of $45 is $1.1 Billion in revenue!!!!! There's literally no way anybody at Square feels this way.

I'd think they'd need 4 million units sold at an average price of $60 to break even. $250 million in revenue should be enough to break even for Square. That's even including the 30% split that they have to give to Square.

One thing Sony does is contributing a lot during development of certain games as well. From those 3rd party studios using their mocap studios, to Sony paying for the marketing, etc...
We don't know how their deal was. Maybe in the end, Square-Enix realized that they themselves would spend less money by having Sony as a partner than doing it all alone, even if the game was multiplatform.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

One thing Sony does is contributing a lot during development of certain games as well. From those 3rd party studios using their mocap studios, to Sony paying for the marketing, etc...
We don't know how their deal was. Maybe in the end, Square-Enix realized that they themselves would spend less money by having Sony as a partner than doing it all alone, even if the game was multiplatform.

Sony probably gave and saved them $50 million on Rebirth if you also connect the Marketing that Sony's spending on the game for Square.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

For a game with a development as smooth as this one was (not even 4 years...closer to 3) I wouldn't be susprised if the development itself was under 100M so overall Square-Enix still has a hit.

I was under the impression it was being developed for 4+ years. Close to 5 years.

Top Bottom