• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rate the Square Enix 2019 E3 Presentation

Rate It

• Total voters

John Day

For me? Amazing. It sold me on FF7 showing me that gameplay, it sold me on Last Remnant on Switch tonight and it sold me on FF8.

Deop the gun fuckers cause I’m all in!

John Day

I will add though, no gameplay on Avengers dissapoonted. Big fail on that. Thois is not the age of CG only announcements man, let’s move on!

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Loved it.

Getting FFVIII Remaster, Romancing SaGa 3, SaGa Scarlet Grace Ambitions, FFVII:R, Oninaki, KH3 DLC, and Dragon Quest Builders 2.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Last edited:

fallingdove

E3 redeemed. Lol.

Some solid stuff. Pleasantly surprised by FF7:R, Oninaki, Romancing Saga 2, and even Avengers.

Super excited about FF8 remastered. I guess they would have had to deconstruct the PC retail version of the game in order to remaster it like they have? Or did they just create a PC emulator wrapper and make some mods. 😛

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
B.

+ I was one of people who was not sold on FF7R at all but this conference sold me on the game

+ they showed off Oninaki and looked really good to me.

- they didn’t announce any new Yoko Taro game. :messenger_loudly_crying:

Last edited:

Lilseb93

They showed a lot of cool things. The Final Fantasy VII Remake looks great.
This conference had pacing issues. Several parts started to drag.

I'd say it's a solid B and the best conference so far... but not saying much.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
This might be shitty for me to say but I didn't care for any of the western games they showed. I wish they had more big announcement for Japanese titles.

Helios

Decent. That crowd on the Avengers showing was unbearable though.
This might be shitty for me to say but I didn't care for any of the western games they showed. I wish they had more big announcement for Japanese titles.
It was like 90% FF and japanese titles though.

Last edited:

Orenji Neko

B

I'm confident FFVII will be a good game and it looks like it's taking all the right steps as far as gameplay goes. There's little to no "I hope this ends up ok" as was the case with FFXIII and FFXV which I thought were vastly under par. I like that the Saga games are coming and that FFVIII is getting some attention. Oninaki looks pretty good too. Also I'm a major Dragon Quest fan so I was definitely glad to see Builders 2 and though I already played it on PC, I can see myself double dipping for the Switch version of Dragon Quest XI; the game is just that good.

Everything else....the western games, the mobile stuff, and the Avengers....eh, couldn't care less. Also, I was hoping for the Mana collection; I still own the actual games, but would like to have them all in one place and portable. I know it was rumored, and maybe if it happens it will be shown at Nintendo's thing, but I'm kind of thinking if it were going to happen, Square would have shown it off today so I'm resigned to that not happening. :messenger_pensive:

NahaNago

I'd give it a solid B as well. Final Fantasy 7 pretty much brings everything up to at least a C by itself and ff8 plus avengers brings it up to a B at least. The thing is Avengers was a bit weak . They really need another big hit somewhere in the middle to make it an A.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I'll rate it a B. FF7 Remake is an A++, but after that things were a bit slow at times. Overall they have a strong line up of games.

0neAnd0nly

I think Square deserves a B. If they would have announced the FF VII demo being available to DOWNLOAD, I would bump it up to an A.

Though Square is today doesn’t offer games currently in my personal interest / genre, FF VII is going to be epic and huge and take many of us back on a beloved and iconic adventure. It looks really good.

Avengers, regardless if you are a fan of Marvel/ Avengers (I am personally not), looks to be high budget and has a powerful cast of voice actors.

Battalion 1944 looked super solid and looks to have a seriously good shot at being competitive AND fun, a balancing act many games don’t perfect these days. Wish it was console bound.

And a lot of variety in between, and most importantly for fans - fan service.

I think personally for me, they win e3 ( so far ) as they opened and closed with hype, and they have a lot of actual release dates and not just cloudy guesses and CGI trailers.

Props Square.

Last edited:

Fbh

B.

The Final Fantasy 7 Remake segment was great. Lots of info and gameplay. I'm still unconvinced about the whole structure of the game but I'm completely sold on the gameplay. The combat looks really fun, I like how they integrated the more "strategic" elements of the original combat system and that boss battle looked fantastic.

Most of the rest of the conference was fun enough with some fun small surprises and enjoyable trailers.

The Avengers reveal was bland IMO. They didn't show or explain a lot about the game and they showed "in-game" content on three separate occasions and all 3 times it was a cutscene. I really don't know what's up with this E3 and so many western devs apparently being terrified of showing gameplay

Last edited:

Griffon

FF7 was the best shown game of E3. They talked about gameplay in depth and shown a glorious rendition of Tifa with more stuff in a good meaty trailer.

Square wins just for that.

checkcola

I'll finally have a reason to play FF8 again, but I know I'll need a guide given its gameplay. LOL

I voted A, but I love the Final Fantasy series in general, so I got what I wanted.

B+

They had a solid slate and started off well with FF7R. They even managed to get me interested in some things I might've not considered before (Dragon Quest Builders for example). Avengers doesn't look like it'll be my cup of tea but I can recognize it's a quality showing and not a budget licensed game. All in all, good presentation, best so far.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I didn't watch Microsoft's E3 but how does it fare? I mean they showed Tales of Arise, Elden Ring, and Double Fine acquisition.

Joe T.

I gave it an A because of how much time they devoted to their biggest game while still having a decent lineup of other titles to fill out the remainder of the conference. That and the nostalgia factor was strong. FFVIIR looks drop-dead gorgeous, everything I hoped it would look like barring some nitpicking.

MagnesG

Banned
Because I was not that interested in most of the reveal, still thought it was kinda waste of my time seeing all of the conference. Only FFVIII R got my attention for a bit, and maybe The Last Remnant. Oninaki and DQ Builders 2 had also been announced earlier.

I give it a solid C.

tav7623

For me it was a D+ mainly because they didn't announce a Parasite Eve remake and/or a Parasite Eve remastered collection (the first Parasite Eve game is one of my All Time favorite PS1 games and I had heard rumors that it was possibly going to be announced during Square's E3 presentation which was enough to get me to tune in) and instead they announced a bunch of crap I personally couldn't care less about (I know for everyone else it was probably a super amazeballs conference and everything which hey I'm super happy for you and all, it's just, nothing in this conference really blew me away) such as the Romancing Saga 3, Final Fantasy 8 remastered, and their CoD ripoff. Though I will say that they did manage to sell me on the Final Fantasy 7 remake (which was enough to raise my score from a F- to a D+) by saying you can sort of go in more of a Final Fantasy XV route if you wanted to (which is currently my favorite Final Fantasy game....I know I know that's an unpopular opinion and all ) and essentially bypass the (imo boring as fuck/slow) turn based aspects of the game for a more action based RPG style of gameplay by shortcutting spells, special attacks,etc to different buttons on your controller.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
Kinda solid. Pretty much viable list of games and includes FF gameplay. I would give a B.

Last edited:

0neAnd0nly

I didn't watch Microsoft's E3 but how does it fare? I mean they showed Tales of Arise, Elden Ring, and Double Fine acquisition.
Regarding XBOX conference -
Tales looked ok, if that is your style of game. Elden Ring wasn’t anything other than a CGI trailer that left far more questions than answers, though people know to expect quality from FS, and Double Fine is... well - Double Fine. Good acquisition for a niche market, but nothing earth shattering (don’t mean that negatively at all btw, just meaning they won’t be chart leaders or console shifters). Spirit Fairer was probably the most unique and interesting thing at Xbox show, and the “highlight” was the first CyberPunk footage, but overall IMO it was a tame conference in a year they SHOULD have put down a mic drop moment or two. Not horrible, but certainly not as hyped as expected.

Comparing Square and MS conference, I think most will agree that Square won.

Last edited:

Barakov

A solid B. Avengers looked good even if it borrowed a bit much from the MCU for my liking. The FF, DQ and Romancing Saga announcements made this the best conference of the show for me.

Link1110

I'm fudging a bit cause I expect Trials of Mana announced tomorrow and that's a Square game, but even without that I think still an A just for having a SaGa section.

V

Vader1

Unconfirmed Member
I went with C. Though the FF 7 Remake was good, nothing else was interesting to me, and the Avengers game was pretty underwhelming.

Lastyou1

Banned
The best show of e3 hands down.

Avengers look fantastic, although it needs more polishing.

FFVII remake is FFversus13 reskinned, and I loved it

FF8 is my favorite FF game, so a remaster is always welcome

Outriders seems to be the sleeper hit.

The only thing missing are Parasite_Eve remake and Fear Effect Reinvented.

Too much mobile shit for my tastes, but I am more than satisfied.

JimiNutz

Banned
Best conference of E3 so far in my opinion (although the bar is incredibly low).

FFVII Remake looks a lot better than expected and seemed to please almost everyone. I also really like that they focused on gameplay.

I thought Avengers looked fine also but disappointed that we didn't get gameplay.

The rest of the games weren't necessarily aimed at me but their line up seems pretty solid.

Top Bottom