• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[RUMOR] Sony Relationship With Square-Enix Might Considerably Strengthen (Investment?)

In addition to SE, what other 3P would you like to see Sony invest in (choose all that apply)?

• Capcom

Votes: 89 61.8%
  • Koei-Tecmo

Votes: 27 18.8%
  • CDPR

Votes: 44 30.6%
  • Take-Two

Votes: 43 29.9%
  • EA

Votes: 4 2.8%
  • Ubisoft

Votes: 9 6.3%
  • Sega-Sammy/Atlus

Votes: 26 18.1%
  • Konami

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Devolver Digital

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • Annapurna

Votes: 18 12.5%
  • Epic

Votes: 11 7.6%
  • Vanillaware

Votes: 21 14.6%
  • Level 5

Votes: 20 13.9%
  • Arc System Works

Votes: 15 10.4%
  • Bandai-Namco

Votes: 26 18.1%
  • Falcom

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • Kadokawa/From Software

Votes: 61 42.4%
  • Neoxon

Votes: 4 2.8%
  • Pearl Abyss

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • Neowiz

Votes: 9 6.3%
  • MiHoYo

Votes: 13 9.0%
  • Moon Studios

Votes: 12 8.3%
  • Other (mention them below)

Votes: 5 3.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Crayon

That seemed to be a brief and vague comment from supposed insider there. Even if they are credible, I'd read that as just more announcements coming.

tmlDan

Pretty much all japanese studios, they have strength in those area and will continue to partner for more third party exclusives. Hell, maybe even Larian given that BG3 dependent on how it does on xbox.

I'd just rather Sony acquire SE. It would remove the question of which platforms their games would come to and allow for the biggest SE games to get the budget and marketing they deserve. The time of SE putting out interesting games outside of the biggest franchises seems long gone. Let it die.

Secret of Mana isn't one of their bigger franchises (IIRC) and that's getting a new entry. Neither is Octopath, but that got a sequel recently. They also published a game in October that is very unique compared to any of their other games or most games on the market, it's based in the Little Red Riding Hood fables (somewhat).

Like was said earlier, if they are investing into a publisher like Square-Enix, in return for some exclusives or maybe even revivals or classic IP, in a way that can be seen as preferable to an M&A since S-E are still allowed to do dealings with other platforms simultaneously or in the future, freely. M&As are extremely rigid and strict in that regard, lots of opportunities get cut off unless the acquired asset is sold and spun back into an independent entity, which rarely happens.

Not sure what would be interesting for them to accuire, but I just want Capcom to be left alone.

This isn't about acquisitions, but investments. I.e like Sony investing in Epic, or From Software & Kadokawa. But, perhaps more pronounced than those investments...but you're still left with a 3P who is 3P and able to work with other platforms simultaneously.

We've come at a point where Sony's own games sell way, way better than anything SE puts out, and where Sony already get all of SE's big AAA games as an exclusive/semi-exclusive. And they get pretty much all of the smaller stuff as well, safe for a few Switch/PC exclusives. I mean, I'm sure Sony occasionally sends some money their way for FF7 but I can't see Sony spending billions on SE. I mean, why would they?

That being said, I can easily see FF9 being a PS exclusive cause Sony paid them a couple of dollars.

Again, this has nothing to do with M&As. There's 0% chance the rumor even pertains to that. At best, it might be hinting towards sizable investments, which is my best-case read. But it could mean something less, it's all up in the air.

The track record of the person in question is the reason I'm even willingly speculating here. But, it is a vague statement, although there isn't much they can say and IIRC they had to retract some Final Fantasy-related stuff previously by request (this is around the time they also dropped a lot of Persona-related information)

Sony is making Square make playstation exclusives when Sony doesn't even want to make playstation exclusives.
foamstars is an actual ps exclusive as was ff16 for a time. but helldivers 2 is launching on pc day 1, concord will be launching on pc day 1, probably more going forward as well.

they already have a hold on those boys.

Well, Helldivers & Concord are GaaS/live-service titles so them being on PC Day 1 mostly makes sense. It's the traditional titles (or non-GaaS) being on PC Day 1 (or even in a 2-year window IMHO) that is highly questionable. Even with GaaS, I'm sure some will still be console exclusive, or at least, some should likely be.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

Sony was already in bed with Squaresoft, so this makes sense.

They already made somekind of deal with Epic, so more partnership might be good.

Would also like to see what CDPR could do together with Sony, I think CDPR could benefit a lot from it. As would Sony, if they could rely on CDPRs expertise on RPGs.
Imo, what CDPR lacks is production-value.

Throwing in Level-5 there as well.

Last edited:

Flutta

Banned
It's not inconceivable to see Sony invest or outright purchase more Japanese companies like Square Enix or Capcom. It would make sense.
Capcom is family owned so that will never happen. SE has only a handfull of titels that aren’t putting the charts on fire so it’s a waste. So none of these makes sense their games sell most on PS anyways so theirs no point.

Either expand your own studios or get something like CDPR because PS lacks WRPG’s, or get one of the big pubs like TT or EA so MS is forced to put Act and Bethesda games on PS in the future.

Anything japanese is a waste of money. People don’t buy Xbox to play Japanese games anyways.

Last edited:
Capcom is family owned so that will never happen. SE has only a handfull of titels that aren’t putting the charts on fire so it’s a waste. So none of these makes sense their games sell most on PS anyways so theirs no point.

Either expand your own studios or get something like CDPR because PS lacks WRPG’s, or get one of the big pubs like TT or EA so MS is forced to put Act and Bethesda games on PS in the future.

Anything japanese is a waste of money. People don’t buy Xbox to play Japanese games anyways.

There is an audience, or a subset of the main audience, who do actually buy consoles like PlayStation because of games like Final Fantasy, Octopath, Mana etc. all being on the same console, alongside various other RPGs also being on that console. These are likely core/enthusiasts (or, again, a slice of them) who are higher ARPU than someone who might only buy a console for, say, COD or Fortnite.

Because the types who may get a system for the FFs, Octopaths etc. all being there also likely buy COD, play Fortnite, and buy other games plus peripherals plus subscriptions. They probably also regularly buy Collector's Editions, merchandise and so forth. So it's not just about if a singular game is selling a ton of copies or not, it's about WHO are the ones mainly buying the majority of what copies are sold, and knowing their worth to the ecosystem in terms of ARPU.

In essence, there is notable crossover with core/enthusiasts gamers and Japanese games, including Japanese RPGs. But if you would look at this as investment opportunities and not M&As (I don't know why some are thinking this rumor is even pertaining to an M&A. At most it's investments hence that's how I've been viewing it), maybe these things make more sense.

Dude made one remark on Resetera and it’s now a rumor with a giant speculation thread asking who else Sony should invest in?

And Microsoft has the astroturfers?
Resetera in general believes everybody who offers any Playstation rumors.

The "one dude" was spot-on with his Persona rumors which I assume you had no problem with since they pertained to Xbox getting specific perks, which we've since seen manifest.
You mean like Dusk Golem and NateTheHate who got a couple of rumors correct but they started to produce some nonsense and Resetera believed. Katharsis did not teach anybody anything.

Funny that this comes after the new square boss comes out and says things are going to change, primarily to get more square games on xbox within a reasonable time frame.
Nah, that popped up after the TGA. I do wonder where is DQ and the next KH. KH might be even in the development hell at this point, considering how does it take for games to be released.

Last edited:

So we're just going to pretend this person, who was spot-on with previous rumors involving Persona and even likely Final Fantasy (assuming a FF IX remake is in development), is suddenly a "random" because of the potential context of this rumor?

Hmm...yeah, makes sense to me 🤔...

You mean like Dusk Golem and NateTheHate who got a couple of rumors correct but they started to produce some nonsense and Resetera believed. Katharsis did not teach anybody anything.

Head on the Block didn't even necessarily say anything here aside responding to another person's post. They could just be stating their own opinion, or hinting at some development. However they do have a rather consistent track record IIRC, and haven't shown a propensity for posting simply to gain notoriety like Dusk Golem. Can't say anything about Nate The Hate.

It's just a bit funny to me how selective people are, and when they want to pick & choose an insider is reliable or just a "random".

Last edited:
Sony was going to react in some way. That much was obvious. They are buying or taking stakes in their traditional partners and signing new agreements with other studios.

xDev's workload is astonishing at the moment. Investing in SE seemed natural.

BrunoCoel

So we're just going to pretend this person, who was spot-on with previous rumors involving Persona and even likely Final Fantasy (assuming a FF IX remake is in development), is suddenly a "random" because of the potential context of this rumor?

Hmm...yeah, makes sense to me 🤔...

Head on the Block didn't even necessarily say anything here aside responding to another person's post. They could just be stating their own opinion, or hinting at some development. However they do have a rather consistent track record IIRC, and haven't shown a propensity for posting simply to gain notoriety like Dusk Golem. Can't say anything about Nate The Hate.

It's just a bit funny to me how selective people are, and when they want to pick & choose an insider is reliable or just a "random".
He’s just in denial.

Ronin_7

Banned
Episode 2 Whatever GIF

I know nothing about this dude or hang around resetera….

I mean this shits like 30 years in the making.
It’d be awesome if this a thing only if Sony dives into old IPs (cough,cough) like Vagrant Story, a brand new FF tactics for the love of god…. Shiieeet they can bring Tobal back. Hell maybe they can just release all of Squaresofts back catalog to PS Plus (for all regions).

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I don't see how exclusivity stuff gets much worse. The Microsoft/SE relationship actually looks like it'll be strengthening compared to where it was in the past.

EDIT: Also, I'd rather see Sony invest in themselves rather than paying to keep games off of other platforms. If they want SE games that bad, they should figure out a way to acquire them.

I don't get you people. Wouldn't the bolded be worse?

Hudo

As a fan of Dragon Quest, that would be the worst move ever for the IP. I want it to stay multiplatform, so that many people can enjoy the games. Sony don't and won't give a shit about DQ.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

I would welcome a sony take over of se. Imagine a ff or any of their stuff with sony cinematic production values.
Today on the bus stop there was a ps5 advert.
It said on top on big letters "LOVE", then had the image of Kratos holding Atreus in his arms and text in the bottom saying "Feel more with Playstation 5".

Do you really want all SE games to become slow walking forced emotional 3rd person adventure games?

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
There is not a publisher out there who I play games from less than SE. They are completely worthless to me since they sold Eidos to Embracer.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Nah. Their smaller games suck now. I don't think we'd miss much if those just died.

So you'd rather buy Square for $10 Billion and never release another game on an Xbox console, than to buy exclusivity for 2 or 3 games over 5 years? Why?

Gojiira

Honestly Id rather see Sony buy Kadokawa and Capcom.
They sorely need their own RPG series and From would 100% deliver that, and they would of course be unique compared to the competition.
Capcom makes a ton of sense, Resident Evil, Monster Hunter, Street Fighter etc speak for themselves and would fill gaps in PS’ lineup.
But yeah investing in Final Fantasy is a great idea too, guess we’ll see.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Meh, I don't care if they do not bring games to Xbox.. but not having some major games day one on PC is annoying. So cool for them if they just want to annoy PC gamers more 🤷‍♂️.

Sojiro

Depends on what the investing means for other platforms. I don't mind if any of the big three invest in projects to secure some exclusive titles, but if they're investing enough to effectively shut out other platforms with any releases than I have a big problem with this. I certainly don't want Sony (or anyone else) "investing" other platforms out of getting games from SE, or any other developer on your list.

Famipan

Thatgamecompany huh?
Journey > Sky:COTL > Now I want a PS5 exclusive FEELS game again please!

They are using Sonys own friggin engine!

Last edited:
I want every big publisher to remain independant and release their games on as many platfoms as possible.

Fuck "consolidation".

No one's saying Square-Enix are being acquired. Not even part of the speculation here TBH.

I know nothing about this dude or hang around resetera….

I mean this shits like 30 years in the making.
It’d be awesome if this a thing only if Sony dives into old IPs (cough,cough) like Vagrant Story, a brand new FF tactics for the love of god…. Shiieeet they can bring Tobal back. Hell maybe they can just release all of Squaresofts back catalog to PS Plus (for all regions).

Yeah, this is what I was hoping the MS/Sega "strategic partnership" was about when that got announced last year. I was even cool with those being Xbox console exclusives, to mirror what was done with the OG Xbox. Chances are likely those are going to be multi-console releases though, and the revivals announced at the VGAs might be purely Sega's own doing. But that announcement was very welcomed by me.

I'd have similar excitement if Square-Enix did similar; in their case though I can see the strategic implications in Sony also playing a hand. If that nets a few exclusives then cool.

Looking at the poll options, thicc_girls_are_teh_best thicc_girls_are_teh_best definitely does.

Where was the word "acquire" ever used in the poll?

As a fan of Dragon Quest, that would be the worst move ever for the IP. I want it to stay multiplatform, so that many people can enjoy the games. Sony don't and won't give a shit about DQ.

It's arguably the biggest traditional JRPG in Japan still, or certainly was back in the day. I think they care

invest != acquire, Sony’s had investments in Square-Enix in the past after all

I don't know how "investment" suddenly turned into "acquisition"; maybe I typed that in the title by mistake but can only see "investment". I'm not wearing and special sunglasses, though.

I mostly just want Sony to keep investing and expanding their own studios. Sony is a great publisher and I wouldn't mind them buying certain talented studios that are struggling financially, but as much as I enjoy Sony's first party games, they are not very innovative. They do a really good job producing games that casual gamers love. Their games are extremely well polished, amazing graphics, and very solid gameplay.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Good. PlayStation and FF belong together.

One could say ALL the worst FF games are on PS while the majority of the best are still on Nintendo consoles where it originated. 🤷‍♂️

But if this rumor is true the only reason is Sony is scared square will move (back) torwards nintendo consoles in the future since they have had a string of failures on the playstation and nintendo is killing it .

Last edited:

Hudo

It's arguably the biggest traditional JRPG in Japan still, or certainly was back in the day. I think they care
I would've believed you if they hadn't moved their HQ to California and shut down Japan Studio.

But even if Sony were to acquire Square, Horii seems to have enough autonomy (via Armor Project) that he probably has a say about the platforms. I mean, the DQ7 and DQ8 3DS ports were published by Nintendo after all...

bitbydeath

I don't see how exclusivity stuff gets much worse. The Microsoft/SE relationship actually looks like it'll be strengthening compared to where it was in the past.

EDIT: Also, I'd rather see Sony invest in themselves rather than paying to keep games off of other platforms. If they want SE games that bad, they should figure out a way to acquire them.
So rather than pay to keep games off other platforms they should pay to keep games off other platforms?

Top Bottom