• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rayman Legends delayed to Q1 2013 worldwide

Meelow

Banned
Yeah the people sad, you should feel thankful, if it launched December it would be going against new Super Mario Bros U which would of been really hard.

Foshy

It's still going to be sold at the same price during the first quarter of 2013, so why not getting it in november with another game?

If Rayman was the only game he's interested in, it would be better to wait for next year as you'll probably find a Wii U more easily then.

Tuck

Probably not the best move. Launch games tend to sell better, though it was gonna have to go up against NSMBU.

Pikma

Banned
I think it's a smart decision, I mean, it being a launch title would have helped it to sell well but there seems to be a LOT of competion on launch anyways, and if they take that time to do some mor polishing, well, thats just double win.

(I'm not sure if I'll be able to get a Wii U at launch, maybe that's why I have no problem with this). :p

BD1

Banned
I wonder if Ubisoft decided they didn't want to launch against NSMBU?

I certainly wouldn't want to my 2D platformer up against Super Mario, and you might be able to feed the hungry platformer fans in Q1 once they finish up NSMB in Q4.

Kamek

This was going to be my second launch game after New SMB U :(. I'd kind of like to get another game, (Nintendo Land doesn't count).

Mlatador

Banned
Makes sense. Launching head to head with Mario isn't the best time to launch the game.

And if they really take the time to polish things up, I'm completely ok with this.

VariantX

They should put the convention show demos on the console or on the eShop -- it was by far, and I mean BY FAR - amongst the most fun I had at Eurogamer on Wii-U. I absolutely loved it. Wonderful 101 was great too... but people have to know, and know early, how good this is.

I'm all for spit and polish to make a great game greater, but it NEEDS a demo.

Hell I think they should preinstall all these demos:

420887_188772371247806_142377432_n.jpg

On what memory? All those demos would take up a good chunk of the premium model's 32 gig flash. Better to just have them available in the e-shop instead.

Probably a good move. In Q4 Legends would have to face off directly against not just NSMBU but also a ton of $10-15 eShop sidescrollers.

Hiltz

I'm okay with this news. It just makes Q1 2013 that much stronger and Rayman would face big competition in 2012. However, what games are planned for December? All of the other big titles are coming out in November or saved for Q1 2013.

Although it is one of my most anticipated games I am actually OK with this, my launch game list was getting all kinds of ridiculous so that gives me (and the game) some breathing room.

But we knew it wasn't a day one game for awhile now?
Was day one for EU.

madmackem

Yeah i agree, i was getting it one of my most wanted games but it give my wallet a bit of room and also gives them some room from mario.

AniHawk

yeah, glad i didn't preorder, since pikmin 3 and rayman are a ways away. i can wait for nsmbu. i probably would have gotten ac3 too, but i'll get it for one of the other systems now.

GDGF

Soothsayer
As long as the delay is used wisely (adding content and polishing the finished product) then all is well.

Kind of smart of them to get out of the way of NSMB U, too.

Instead of sending it to death during November (Origins), it's sent to death in crowded Q1 (Legends).

I for one think it would've done gangbusters as a launch title, even against NSMBU.

I hope I'm wrong because I loved Origins to bits (it was my GAF 2011 GotY).

Tagg9

As long as the delay is being used to polish the game up, I don't mind.

If, however, Ubisoft thinks releasing in Q1 2013 is better for sales then they are massively misguided.

Or, instead of screwing people over, they could leave it for someone who possibly wants one at retail price. Keep that flipping crap at Slickdeals/Fatwallet where people take joy in screwing over fellow humanity.

No, make money. If you were able to pre-order one and get it, it's yours. Make a profit and spend it on games. Or whatever.

I couldn't agree more with Plinko on this one. It's a sickening practise.

Yeah, sickening that someone who didnt get to pre-order one has an actual chance of getting one this holiday season. It's sick!

Just got Origins after playing the demo like 3 times, downloading the PSN trial, and contemplating the retail or digital version. I broke out and got the digital version. I want to wholeheartedly support games like this, and I hope titles like Demon's Souls, Rayman, and Walking Dead really find success with their modesty. Sick and tired of grand games with poor/dumbed down ideas.

I am dying for Legends to come to PS3 though, but if that doesn't happen, chalk another checkmark on the "Reasons to buy Wii U" list for me.

Was Origins considered a disappointment in sales? I know they didn't meet expectations, but a sequel sounds like good news to me. Will Legends come to the other platforms, perhaps?

They should put the convention show demos on the console or on the eShop -- it was by far, and I mean BY FAR - amongst the most fun I had at Eurogamer on Wii-U. I absolutely loved it. Wonderful 101 was great too... but people have to know, and know early, how good this is.

I'm all for spit and polish to make a great game greater, but it NEEDS a demo.

Hell I think they should preinstall all these demos:

420887_188772371247806_142377432_n.jpg

I don't think 18/mature rated games would be pre-installed on any system. Legends was my favourite thing on the Wii-U too but I didn't get to play much Wonderful 101.

Just got Origins after playing the demo like 3 times, downloading the PSN trial, and contemplating the retail or digital version. I broke out and got the digital version. I want to wholeheartedly support games like this, and I hope titles like Demon's Souls, Rayman, and Walking Dead really find success with their modesty. Sick and tired of grand games with poor/dumbed down ideas.

I am dying for Legends to come to PS3 though, but if that doesn't happen, chalk another checkmark on the "Reasons to buy Wii U" list for me.

Was Origins considered a disappointment in sales? I know they didn't meet expectations, but a sequel sounds like good news to me. Will Legends come to the other platforms, perhaps?

The problem with Legends is that apparently it's a console exclusive, which more likely than not means it's going to flop. Hard. Origins did 2 million by basically being made available on every single platform on the planet, and dropping in price about 75 percent mere months after it launched. Doesnt change the fact that it was a damn good game.

The problem with Legends is that apparently it's a console exclusive, which more likely than not means it's going to flop. Hard. Origins did 2 million by basically being made available on every single platform on the planet, and dropping in price about 75 percent mere months after it launched. Doesnt change the fact that it was a damn good game.

I understand, but can't they start porting to make up for it? Added benefit of being Wii U exclusive is that there are a handful of titles on the Wii U, making Rayman stick out more...though the downside to that is that it's delayed and Wii U sales are anybody's guess.

LaneDS

I fully expect something like a re-tooled Legends hitting the other platforms a few months later, maybe with a slightly changed up name (think Ninja Gaiden Sigma) and the Wii U bits removed/reworked.

Delayed to give them time to prep PS360 ports for simultaneous multiplat release. Alternatively, delayed to rework after the complaints about the Murfy stuff.

Or just realised that releasing alongside Mario would be suicide.

Great! I am sorry for those that wanted it now and have no interest in any other title this year but for me personally I welcome the delay.

Me and my GF enjoy playing Origins and would like to pick up the sequel but the simple fact is we'll be playing Mario at launch of Wii U so everything else gets the 'instant wait treatment' and might reflect poorly in similar missed/delayed sales etc.

Now it should hopefully hit at a time we're actively seeking a new co-op platformer and do nicely. :D

Origins did 2 million by basically being made available on every single platform on the planet, and dropping in price about 75 percent mere months after it launched.
Even now, Origins is no where near 2m actually sold. It was a gigantic bomb, though it was super cheap so it still made money.

Wii version sold best too afaik.

I find Legends far less likely to flop because it's a Nintendo-exclusive, to be honest. That's where most platforming fans are going to be, there's been more hype behind Legends than Origins and Nintendo may well choose to push it more than Ubisoft did for Origins being a console exclusive. Probably even moreso if it's coming out in a period where there's not much coming out for the system besides Pikmin 3.

Sandfox

I don't think this game was coming out at launch anyway but this is still kinda annoying. The game getting delayed is better for me financially so I'm not upset.

also, do you guys really want to risk selling your Wii U's after what happened with the Wii? It probably won't be as big but it could easily have supply problems for a while.

Even though it's probably just to avoid competition, I hope they use the extra few months to beef up and polish the game more instead of just sitting on a finished copy. Not that it needs it persay given Origins' quality, just to make it even better than it already is.

Honestly hope the same thing is happening to Pikmin 3 along with getting the online co-op that game desperately needs, but I doubt it.

My initial reaction was "vadernooooooo.gif" ... But then I thought about it and I'm OK with this. I'm getting Mario, Zombi U, Nintendoland, Assassin's Creed 3, and Sonic Racing at launch - with a slight possibility of a few others - and I have Rayman preordered as well. It will be nice to have a game to look forward to in February or whenever it pops up. Plus, this should hopefully make it an even better game - assuming they're delaying it for development reasons and not marketing ones.

Mifune

Mehmber
This sucks, mostly because I was hoping this game would get some holiday sales. Now it's gonna release in the dead of winter and most likely bomb.

Top Bottom