• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RDR2 Still one of the best looking lod and lighting systems in open world games?

Those higher res textures at 60fps in DLSS, it's so damned worth it to double dip. The mods as well.

The majority of it's 50m + sales platform(s) are currently getting shafted by Take2/R*

It's currently 67% off on Steam right now,
Any particular mods worth getting?

MikeM

Can agree. Too bad they never patched it for 60fps on console.

I am enjoying my play through on my 7900xt PC. Looks damn good at 4k and 80+ fps

RDR2 is still the king of graphics.
While some games have looked as good, none have beaten it, and as they say, to become the king you have to kill the king.

When I first played it on my XOX, my jaw hit the floor.

Are we surprised tho? Rockstar has 4,800 employees and take their damm time making games.

GermanZepp

Analyst estimations place the game's combined development and marketing budget between US$370 million and US$540 million, which would make it one of the most expensive video games to develop.

"Graphics" encompasses myriad things from animation to lighting to textures to LOD and more. When taking it all into consideration I'd say RDR2 is *still* the most visually impressive game ever made, GTA6 is going to be insane 🤯

Last edited:
I played it back when I had an i7 7700k and 1080 Ti. Told myself I'd replay it when I upgrade to something that can handle it at high resolution and good performance. I now have a 7950x3D and 4090 and can't be bothered to replay it. Yeah it's probably the pinnacle of world design including physics/weather systems but it's just such a shallow game not worth replaying when 90% of the gameplay comprises of riding around slowly listening to NPCs talk.

Justin9mm

I haven't played for a good year or so.. On PS5, have they fixed the HDR issues or is it still play with HDR off? I have a decent PC rig now but almost finished it on PlayStation. There is no cross save, no way can I be bothered to start again on PC.

Last edited:

Pimpbaa

Great game and great graphics although owners of the game on Playstation are fucked with the weird resolution the game has(resolution of the game on PS4 Pro). Xbox owners got it better with full 4K (on a Xbox One X or Seies X). PC gamers got the best version for obvious reasons. Would like a current gen console version using some of the higher graphical settings of the PC version.

Last edited:

Rival

Gold Member
I recently picked it up during the steam summer sale and have put several hours into it since not playing it since launch on Xbox. It does look quite good on PC with settings turned up high. Getting 70-80 fps most of the time ties it all together quite well.

Kumomeme

really want to enjoy myself exploring the world

but the unresponsive slog control is too much. hopefully they wont carry that shit to GTA 6.

Great game and great graphics although owners of the game on Playstation are fucked with the weird resolution the game has(resolution of the game on PS4 Pro). Xbox owners got it better with full 4K (on a Xbox One X or Seies X). PC gamers got the best version for obvious reasons. Would like a current gen console version using some of the higher graphical settings of the PC version.
Yeah this, I bought it on One X and PS4 Pro at the time and the One X version is noticeably better looking.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
💯 Rockstar devs are geniuses and their AAA budget shows! They don't half-ass their games, and I love everything about that.

AAA games should be like proper AAA games, no cut corners. And Rockstar has been one of the biggest proponents of that.

Filben

Played it on a PS4 Pro and thought it was majestic. I now have a 4090 and an LG 55 CX - I wonder if it is worth a double dip.
My usual experience, when I waa in the same spot, played out like this: double dip, be amazed by the upgraded visuals for half an hour, realising it's still the same game nonetheless, still keep playing a few hours more (which is nothing in RDR2), put it aside because I've already seen it, it isn't ten years old to justify another playthrough and backlog something else for it, in case of RDR2 it still doesn't handle/play better than before.

Give me Max Payne 3 style controls and responsiveness and I might reconsider another playthrough. Or if I hadn't like 30 other games waiting for being played.

Xtib81

Finally a game where I couldn't easily see pop in, just incredible Lod and draw distance. I have no Idea how they managed that on last gen consoles when next gen games still have shit popping 30 meters away.

Yes. Would be even better if they took care of the tens of millions who purchased it on consoles.

I won't stop bitching about that for one of the best games of all time, to me, until it happens.
Well, I gave up and played it on my PS5 at 30fps with that blurry PS4 Pro checkerboard implementation (rockstar really dropped the ball with the upscalling on the Pro vs the One X 🙃). Game was too good and I might replay it if/when they eventually release a remastered version on PS5!

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Yeah the LOD among other stuff is nuts in this game. You can even see smoke which is already hard to render at normal distances let alone so far away. Rockstar is top quality like Guerilla when it comes to tech.

317EF014F4BA5E8F1B88F5CBFEE89BCCEFD09E53

DryvBy

I was just talking to my cousin about this. He thinks it's a racing game but nothing compares to the visuals of RDzr2 for me, especially on PC.

Played it on a PS4 Pro and thought it was majestic. I now have a 4090 and an LG 55 CX - I wonder if it is worth a double dip.
This what I hope to achieve in a gaming setup towards the of of the year. I want to play Starfield in 4K, 60fps on my 55" LG OLED. So I'm planning on building a beast computer with at least a 4070. I don't need to play my games on a higher framerate than 60fps so hopefully I can max out Red Dead 2 as well.

Top Bottom