• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Realistically, what can Trump and his Republican Congress do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
But wouldn't then those countries rates import taxes on our goods which could result in the US producing less?

Yes which is why tariff wars are idiotic and mutually destructive. Besides, most of the jobs some people seem to want back are the ones that pay so little only immigrants would take them in he first place.

If he has a spine he would kill NAFTA and raise import taxes on goods not made in America to astronomical heights. It would be interesting to see if forcing companies to make stuff in america would work. Theoretically, if it worked, jobs would come back to the US and leave places like Mexico and China.

Please don't do the astronomical tariffs thing. I have a feeling it would cost more jobs than it creates and more than you realize.

darkwing

Didn't read the whole thread but is it really possible to influence SCOTUS decision in the future? That would be the most devastating thing, wouldn't it?

I would guess, in the short term, repealing of executive orders by Obama like DACA would be the immediate effect

in the long term, climate change will be a 'hoax' and SCOTUS will be a conservative one (he already said he will appoint a conservative, pro-life etc..)

Foffy

Banned
If he has a spine he would kill NAFTA and raise import taxes on goods not made in America to astronomical heights. It would be interesting to see if forcing companies to make stuff in america would work. Theoretically, if it worked, jobs would come back to the US and leave places like Mexico and China.

And who says people keep these jobs..?

Why is that being overlooked?

That's the stuff that's going to linger on for the rest of our lives.

This is easily the worst and scariest thing about all of this that makes it hard to be optimistic. Odds are that we will literally be feeling the results of this election for the rest of our lives. I'm 31, it's the first time in my life I've had the thought "this isn't getting better 'til I'm gone."

I think for sure he will work aggressively to repeal Obamacare and impose harsh immigration reform. Aside from that the worst thing is the SC. He will appoint at least 1, probably 2, maybe 3 justices who will basically set back social progressiveism for the next 20-30 year. As for the economy, those rural white voters who supported him will continue to be poor, and angry, and disenfranchised, and jobless and will spend the next 4-8 years blaming Obama, or minorities, or "the establishment" for it instead of taking accountability for the predicament they continually put themselves in by being so easily manipulated into voting against their self interests.

Jotaka

I have a theory.... Trump will abdicate in 1 year... The presidency will be so hard work that he will give up because he won't be able handle it... to much hard work.

I think for sure he will work aggressively to repeal Obamacare and impose harsh immigration reform. Aside from that the worst thing is the SC. He will appoint at least 1, probably 2, maybe 3 justices who will basically set back social progressiveism for the next 20-30 year. As for the economy, those rural white voters who supported him will continue to be poor, and angry, and disenfranchised, and jobless and will spend the next 4-8 years blaming Obama, or minorities, or "the establishment" for it instead of taking accountability for the predicament they continually put themselves in by being so easily manipulated into voting against their self interests.

What is needed to appeal Obamacare?

I would be okay with the appeal IF he offered a solution AND still prevented insurances from discriminating on pre-existing conditions. Just having the latter would help more Americans than just throwing away the ACA with nothing else.

KarmaCow

I have a theory.... Trump will abdicate in 1 year... The presidency will be so hard work that he will give up because he won't be able handle it... to much hard work.

It's going to be worse, he'll stay on but let people like Pence and other horrific people do the heavy lifting.

Foffy

Banned
What is needed to appeal Obamacare?

I would be okay with the appeal IF he offered a solution AND still prevented insurances from discriminating on pre-existing conditions. Just having the latter would help more Americans than just throwing away the ACA with nothing else.

You know he won't do this...

He's not going to have to do shit. Pence is effectively president. Trump is a figurehead who gets all of the fame and notoriety without having to do any of the work, which is what he wants, while the republicans get to push their usual agenda (anti establishmebt though, right?)

Future

Obamacare is gone. This out of everything will have to happen because everything is in place to do so, and has been a republican talking point for like 6 years

Supreme Court will be conservative. And y'all will just have to deal with that. This election proved a lot of those issues affected by this actually aren't that big of a deal to most people

There will be not once ounce of legislation or discussion about gun control anymore. That conversation is dead

Some version of the wall will happen. People still chant build the wall similar to how people chanted yes we can for obama. It's pretty much his tag line and something will be done

You will now hear the terms radical Islamic terrorism pretty much monthly

Beyond that I think it's a bit of hyperbole of what else may happen. World isn't gonna end guys. States may get some more power as republicans find ways to overturn some social progress on the federal level, while not looking like complete asses in the process (let states decide if abortion is legal, if gays can marry, etc)

Trey

i really think he won't touch immigration at all - at least nothing aggressive. he can't make good on any of his promises, and GOP doesn't have a plan as a party. Rubio will be the lead on any immigration reform probably.

To my knowledge, in practice the Democrats can obstruct stuff in the senate with the use of the filibuster, which the GOP could remove via the "nuclear option", but aside from general unease of such an unprecedented move amongst the GOP (which could easily backfire if both the house and senate flip to the Democrats during midterms or in 2020), in practice it would require a supermajority of about 60-66 votes (something the GOP senators don't nearly have the numbers for), though there are more complicated procedures that might allow for a simple majority vote, but that would require the leader of the senate declaring the filibuster unconstitutional, which would be a gigantic mess.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Some version of the wall will happen. People still chant build the wall similar to how people chanted yes we can for obama. It's pretty much his tag line and something will be done

I see the wall basically being Trump's Guantanamo. There'll be some movement, a little talk about it, but it'll never be realized.

GPsych

So I'm a psychologist working in the school system. Do I need to consider getting my clinical skills back up to par and changing jobs? If the Department of Education is eliminated, the special ed laws (IDEA) would not have real teeth anymore at the federal level. Could states theoretically just get rid of or just stop bothering to do special education considering it is a federal mandate?

Damaniel

Banned
At a minimum, the full establishment Republican economic and environmental agendas will be enacted (perhaps minus the parts related to trade), for better or worse. Since the outlook for the GOP looks so rosy for at least the next 4 years (but realistically for the next 10 or more), I expect that the Senate might take the risk and kill the filibuster just to make cramming their agenda through a much less impeded endeavor.

So I'm a psychologist working in the school system. Do I need to consider getting my clinical skills back up to par and changing jobs? If the Department of Education is eliminated, the special ed laws (IDEA) would not have real teeth anymore at the federal level. Could states theoretically just get rid of or just stop bothering to do special education considering it is a federal mandate?

The Department of Education isn't going anywhere. That wasn't even something that was pledged or seriously threatened during the campaign.

slit

Basically it is a giant shit sandwich and we're all taking a bite. Having said that, I don't think it's as bleak as some are making it. Honestly Ted Cruz as president would be worse.

Roe v. Wade - Roe v Wade will have to be challenged in courts. I would expect any challenge to occur after Trump has made appointments. He may be out of the office by the time it's challenged.
Refugees - making it so even fewer are accepted - Probably
Obamacare - full repeal - Probably not. We'll see though. What ever is done with Obabmacare, he use the phrase "replace". What else is there? If anything, I would expect that they take the teeth out of the tax.
SCOTUS seat(s) - filled by whom Trump chooses - Probably four justices. This will be the long term ramification of his presidency, even if he loses reelection in 2020.
Trade agreements - destroyed - Probably
Wall to Mexico - LOL. That ain't happening.
Affirmative action - undone - Probably not. The court just issued an opinion on such a case. It would take a long time to get another one in front of the Supreme Court.
Legalization of gay marriage - undone - Same as above.
Social Security and Medicaid - gutted - Probably not. He is up for reelection in 2020 and will need the olds to get him reelected.
Federal Budget - slashed - LOLOLOL, Trump will be one of those Big Government conservatives. Taxes will be slashed but the budget won't be slashed in any meaningful way because it would require cuts to social security, medicare, and the military. That's not happening.

I've responded to each of the OP's claims.

My hope is that he nominates less than 3 SC justices because it would be a disaster if he completely reshapes the Supreme Court. I hope that he can get infrastructure spending passed through Congress. I hope that he doesn't start WW3 because he was insulted by a 10 year old Chinese boy on Twitter. I hope that he doesn't actually cut taxes because that would be disastrous for our budget.

I also hope that Dems turn out to vote in the mid-terms.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Nah, he'll take the Rob Ford route and just fuck off while in office, showing up and leaving whenever he wants while not listening to anyone or doing anything.

Then everyone around him runs the country in his place.

I don't think the Dems will control either house until after 2020. They can't get past the gerrymandering, perhaps they can get a small majority in the Senate.

vector824

Don't forget the dismantling of the first amendment!

He said he was going to have "a long talk" with the media and open the libel laws so he can sue people who he believes treat him unfairly. Even if said lawsuits prove groundless, they'll certainly have a chilling effect on free speech.

Why is no one talking about this?! He hates the press.

I'm unsure just how far republicans are willing to go. Yes they control all levers but the republicans in the senate and house are not all in Trump's camp. In the end Senators can keep their jobs well past a Trump presidency so I don't think Trump will have Carte Blanche like so many think he will. He defeated two parties last night not just democrats. I expect things like ACA and SCOTUS appointments (which are both huge don't get me wrong) are the biggest threats for sure and everything else beyond that is totally in the air.

It really comes down to how many of these Republicans are actually much more moderate/centerists then they led people to believe, and would they stand against Trump?

Future

I'm unsure just how far republicans are willing to go. Yes they control all levers but the republicans in the senate and house are not all in Trump's camp. In the end Senators can keep their jobs well past a Trump presidency so I don't think Trump will have Carte Blanche like so many think he will. He defeated two parties last night not just democrats. I expect things like ACA and SCOTUS appointments (which are both huge don't get me wrong) are the biggest threats for sure and everything else beyond that is totally in the air.

It really comes down to how many of these Republicans are actually much more moderate/centerists then they led people to believe, and would they stand against Trump?

They will fall in line just like republicans fell in line just before the election. This is the chance for republicans to do all the things they claimed they needed to.

Maxim726X

Filibuster is going to be the first big fight of the new Senate.

So, doing some reading on this now... I've read that most motions to strike down the filibuster rule have been deemed unconstitutional and thus never proceeded.

Is the thought process that this will change with the new appointees?

They will fall in line just like republicans fell in line just before the election. This is the chance for republicans to do all the things they claimed they needed to.

I think that will certainly be true for certain issues, but I don't think they will go all out, as much of it would potentially sink their approval rating.

This is the time for Dems to find allies across the aisle and they only need a few.

People thinking GOP will be able to control Trump are wrong. If anything, he spearheaded the triple-win night and has shown a remarkable ability to neutralize politicians who oppose him. The party, aside from the neo-con wing, will fall in line with his strategy. Or he'll just destroy them.

I'm not trying to suggest that Trump will be as vile a person as Hitler, but this is exactly what Hitler did to Germany. The politicos thought they'd be able to control him, and he simply eviscerated those who opposed him. Within six months he had solidified his position and the infrastructure he wanted to establish.

I'd like to think that can't happen here, but the nationalism and populist rhetoric Trump ran on is absolutely terrifying. For this country and for the world.

They can (and want to) defund HIV treatment and prevention, which will literally kill tens of thousands, and more, as the lack of funded prevention programs restarts the pre-90s snowball effect of transmission. There are currently over a million HIV+ individuals in the US, and that number will spiral out of control when programs like Ryan White (which helps half a million people get the expensive medicine needed to control and prevent transmission) get defunded by short-sighted, homophobic legislation. This isn't even about Trump, but Pence, who's anti-LGBT views are not just toxic, but outright dangerous.

I'm not trying to suggest that Trump will be as vile a person as Hitler, but this is exactly what Hitler did to Germany. The politicos thought they'd be able to control him, and he simply eviscerated those who opposed him. Within six months he had solidified his position and the infrastructure he wanted to establish.

I'd like to think that can't happen here, but the nationalism and populist rhetoric Trump ran on is absolutely terrifying. For this country and for the world.

Genuine seeking understanding here but how exactly would Trump destroy his party opponents in the way our government is set up? Wouldn't that just unify more people against him, and thus set up impeachment?

Measley

Basically it is a giant shit sandwich and we're all taking a bite. Having said that, I don't think it's as bleak as some are making it. Honestly Ted Cruz as president would be worse.

Unless Trump has a spine and can stand up to the GOP Mike Pence is effectively president, and that's just as bad.

Steel

Banned
What I don't get is why you treat Trump as if he was a true Republican or even if he's gonna listen to his party policies

He's a rubber stamp for a republican congress. He has no leverage. Didn't even win the popular vote.

Posted this in the Offical President Trump thread...

I'm interested to see what Trump does with regards to his promise to rebuild infrastructure. He mentioned it specifically last night. It would take a lot of money to do, but it could provide a lot of jobs. Seems like a smart tactic for someone who has promised rapid economic growth. With control of the House and Senate, it may be possible to pass a large (trillion dollar+) spending package. A sort of New Deal, which would also help him bridge the gap with Hillary supporters.

Increasing military spending, specifically procurement, could be also be a job booster. Though probably more limited. I guess if you work in the military-industial complex your future looks bright. Shipbuilding in particular could grow. Though there is debate about how much shipbuilding could expand with the current talent pool.

The Iran deal could be sacrificed, but I am not sure how possible that is. Maybe he will be convinced to back away from that stance.

To the above it is really hard to say what Trump believes in. Very recently he was pro choice and pro planned parenthood. Part of me once to believe his entire campaign was to undermine the Republican Party. So maybe he will tone it way back now that he has won and go back to his roots on things. What a sight it would be for a GOP house and Senate to sign a bill they've been wanting for ages and Trump just vetoes it.

darkwing

Posted this in the Offical President Trump thread...

I'm interested to see what Trump does with regards to his promise to rebuild infrastructure. He mentioned it specifically last night. It would take a lot of money to do, but it could provide a lot of jobs. Seems like a smart tactic for someone who has promised rapid economic growth. With control of the House and Senate, it may be possible to pass a large (trillion dollar+) spending package. A sort of New Deal, which would also help him bridge the gap with Hillary supporters.

Increasing military spending, specifically procurement, could be also be a job booster. Though probably more limited. I guess if you work in the military-industial complex your future looks bright. Shipbuilding in particular could grow. Though there is debate about how much shipbuilding could expand with the current talent pool.

The Iran deal could be sacrificed, but I am not sure how possible that is. Maybe he will be convinced to back away from that stance.

for some of the money

In a deeply disappointing development for environmentalists, Mr Trump plans to cancel billions of dollars in payments to the United Nations climate change programs.

He has said he would redirect the funds to pay for infrastructure projects in the US.

It's going to be worse, he'll stay on but let people like Pence and other horrific people do the heavy lifting.

It's not a bad theory. Though I could see him be unable to abdicate, since in his brain that's "losing".

Might go full figurehead and puppet for the GOP, let them do the hard work, and just put his spin on it.

for some of the money

It would take trillions of dollars to rebuild US infrastructure on a meaningful scale. Look at the scale of building in China and think about the money it to takes to do that. From the language he used, it would take a massive spending program directed towards infrastructure. The military could be expanded by funding more procurement, which would probably increase employment. With enough funding, they could start new programs which could further increase employment.

Nibiru

Banned
I think gay marriage and roe v wade will be untouched. He is pretty liberal on social issues and those issues didn't get him elected.

I think sanctuary cities are done for unless there is some nuance that I don't know about that makes them impossible for him to affect.

Wiz

One thing that has my interest as a positive is his infrastructure plan. I doubt he has any real details, but I think it's something that needs to be addressed.

I honestly dont think he has the brain power to be the President. There are days where the President has to be up till 3am in the morning with his advisors and such. He could just call it a quiets or let Pence do more of the leg work. I would dislike Pence but I dont think he would mistreat NATO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom