• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Recomend me a PS2 game with the following criteria

Hitman

Edmonton's milkshake attracts no boys.
I want the game to have a good single player experience, something that can be finish within 20 hours(no RPGs), nothing too frustating(hard), and something fun.

The following games I've already played:
Ratchet and Clank
Sly Cooper
Jak and Daxter
GTA3
GTA: Vice
True Crime
Spiderman 2
Devil May Cry 2

I'm looking for something new.. Give me some suggestions for games and why they are good!

jiggle

In the future (or if you can import)

Katamari Damashii

Fits every single criteria you listed, perfectly.

Ozchin

jiggle said:

Katamari Damashii

ditto.
Katamari Damashii will be out in the States. GET IT!!

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
235974.jpg
241987.jpg
232739.jpg

You can start there...

Hitman

jiggle said:

Katamari Damashii

I saw a video of that.. It looks hella fun. Do you need to know alot of Japanese to enjoy it though?

Hitman

Quesiton about the Onimusha games.. Does it have tank controls like Resident Evil and which Onimusha should I start with?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Hitman said:
Quesiton about the Onimusha games.. Does it have tank controls like Resident Evil and which Onimusha should I start with?

Onimusha 1 and 2 have tank while 3 does not. Honestly, I'd say just buy part 3 and be happy. I didn't like Oni 1 or 2 very much, but 3 was pretty fun.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Hitman said:

Yes, they do have tank controls, but...the controls are still more fluid and easier to deal with than in Resident Evil IMO. They actually work well, and the controls never truly bothered me. Also, Onimusha 2 should be damn cheap nowadays.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
- The entire Onimusha series (just an all around good RE style beat'em up series that gets better with each new entry in the series)

- Maximo 1 & 2 were fun but some people consider them hard. I still think you should give them a try.

- You could always give some fighting games a shot such as VF4Evo, Tekken Tag Tournament, and Soul Calibur II. Each of them is good for different reasons but VF4Evo is probably the least 'fun' of the three.

- Klonoa 2 is a short, fun, and ultimately disposable game. After you beat it you are likely to never play it again but it's fun while it lasts. I beat it the first time I played it but I don't regret the purchase.

Gibbo

Anyone here played Sphinx and the Curse of the mummy? I've heard that it's quite good? I'm itching for a platformer at the moment...

Matlock

Banned
You list Ratchet and Clank, but not Ratchet and Clank 2. I think we've got a good starting point.

But honestly, about the best ones I can think of in your situation are SSX3 (Awesome game, made me love snowboarding all over again), Castlevania: Lament of Innocence (It's cheap, it's a decent beat-'em-up, and it's in the Castlevania universe) and Psi-Ops (Big, happy tech demo...but so cool and so fun. Think: Metal Gear Solid 2 with more action, less plot, and the powers of Psycho Mantis.).

Just stay away from Ico, though. Between the boring visuals, the childlishly simple puzzles, and the iffy camera...Well, it's just not that fun.

---and just as an edit, I see you like the "Free-Roaming-GTA-sorta-RPG" game style. Perhaps last year's Simpsons: Hit and Run would suit your tastes?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Just stay away from Ico, though. Between the boring visuals, the childlishly simple puzzles, and the iffy camera...Well, it's just not that fun.
As a rule of a thumb stay away from advices that tell you to not try a game (especially if the game had universally glowing reviews :p ) ...

User 406

Banned
ICO
Robot Alchemic Drive
Dual Hearts
Sky Odyssey
Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
Seek and Destroy
Way of the Samurai

Matlock

Banned
Marconelly said:
As a rule of a thumb stay away from advices that tell you to not try a game (especially if the game had universally glowing reviews :p ) ...

Hey, I calls 'em like I sees 'em. No amount of reviews stop it from being the second worst (Champions of Norrath being the worst) game I've ever let GAF talk me into.

This thread has love for Sky Odyssey and Ico, the only two reasons I was glad I bought a PS2 right away. I now bestow my seal of approval upon this thread. Onimusha wasn't bad, but I have yet to finish it.

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
Sea Manky said:
ICO
Robot Alchemic Drive
Dual Hearts
Sky Odyssey
Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
Seek and Destroy
Way of the Samurai
Why do I not see Dropship in your list? :p
I recommend Sly Cooper because you can beat it in half a day.

Ar_

Maximo Army of Zin fits all right with all the platform / combat games you mentioned.
Is very good, isnt particularly hard, not too long.
Not to be confused with Maximo Ghosts to Glory, which is though as eating nails. Well not quite, but still nasty.

Kya is a nice combat / platform / other things mix.
Likeable, cheap, varied. Notice thought that it has some rough edges, and is slow paced for a platform.

Dynasty Warriors 4 may fit your tastes, again since you seem to like fighting. Is a good Kill-A-Ton game. The battle system isnt the best in itself, but the size and scope of battles compensate well.

Jak 2 rocks, but you didnt want a hard game, so stay away from it =(

ICO is short and easy and sweet, IF you are into a Watch The Trees And Enjoy The Sun gaming mindset.
A charming adventure, some action fit to complement the fable atmosphere, but you must be interested in the atmosphere above all to really like it.

ZoE 2 is easy, flashy, short, shallow. Your call.

Dual Hearts was mentioned... is cute, but not really "fun", and sloooooow paced.
There are better games to "play".
I have never seen, however, a better dancing Baku. Not in a videogame, at least.

Since you can't play Shantae on the PS2. . .

Bloodrayne was a surprisingly fun rental.

Even I, the continental drift gamer, managed to beat it during the rental period. Some of the humor is a bit forced, and there are some aspects of the game design you can abuse to your advantage if you're a real cocksucker like myself, but ignoring that, it's real damn fun!

I'd say it's like Gungrave with more fluid controls and better attacks, or Devil May Cry sans the shit fixed camera.

If you are going for Dynasty Warriors go for 3. It had the absolute perfect balance between a large free-flowing battlefield and events to spice things up.

DW4 is too mission focused meaning that the battlefield is all but ignored in favour of running from one event to the next. Plus there are the horrendous duels which only serve to highlight how inadequate the combat engine is for one on one situations. And you can't skip them without damaging your teams morale.

Avoid Samurai Warriors like the plague, its awful. Some of the worst mission design in the universe (a lot of the time its incredibly vague as to what triggers a mission, what the pass/fail criteria is etc.) and the castle stages are offensively bad.

DW3 is fun, fun, fun and there's enough in there if you get really into to occupy you for however long you like.

Top Bottom