• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What modern games have really good PC optimization ?

RickSanchez

Gold Member
Horizon Forbidden West's PC port is receiving praise for being well optimized and rightly so; it runs well on most systems judging by GAF and reddit comments.

So this got me thinking what PC games had really good optimization at launch and what games did not, but got better and now run really well on most PCs ? As far as i can recall, the following:

Well optimized for PC at launch:
  • Doom 2016 & Doom Eternal
  • Hitman World of Assassination (all 3 games)
  • Forza Horizon 5
  • Death Stranding
  • Spider-Man Remastered
  • God of War
  • Returnal
  • Deus Ex Human Revolution
  • Prey 2017
  • Mad Max 2015
  • Alien Isolation

Were not well optimized at launch but run very well on PC now:
  • Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
  • Dishonored 1 & 2
  • Tomb Raider Survivor Trilogy
  • Uncharted 4
  • Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart

Let's shout out more well-optimized PC games!

yamaci17

cyberpunk always ran okay on PC and now runs great

games that have been great on launch

Control
AC Valhalla
AC Mirage
Far Cry 6
A Plague Tale Requiem (heavy on the GPU side but deservedly so)
Guardians of Galaxy
Atomic Heart
Dead Island 2
Alan Wake 2 (heavy on the GPU side but deservedly so)

Last edited:

RagnarokIV

MGSV was perfect. The team even worked like crazy for 2 weeks to bring the PC launch date forward to match the console.

“We initially did not think it would be possible to get such an epic game out onto PC in time for launch alongside its console counterparts, but all involved have worked diligently to meet the demands of our PC consumers,” commented Tomotada Tashiro, President of Konami Digital Entertainment B.V. “Now PC users will be able to explore the vibrant and beautifully-realised locations and set-pieces that elevate METAL GEAR SOLID V: THE PHANTOM PAIN beyond all other action titles. We feel confident that Steam users will be satisfied with the contents we will provide for the Steam version.”

Lorianus

Neo Member
The age of dev's optimizing anything is a thing of the past thanks to upscalers like dlss/fsr and the like, try playing any game post 2020 release at native resolution and see how much "optimization" has been done, today's releases force us to play upscaled 1080p/1440p in 4k with fake frames (frame generation).

Look i dont say those features are bad, but man native resolution is dead at this point.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Alan Wake 2 ran pretty damn well for me considering how crispy it looks.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
The age of dev's optimizing anything is a thing of the past thanks to upscalers like dlss/fsr and the like, try playing any game post 2020 release at native resolution and see how much "optimization" has been done, today's releases force us to play upscaled 1080p/1440p in 4k with fake frames (frame generation).

Look i dont say those features are bad, but man native resolution is dead at this point.
And it's perfectly fine that it is dead. We're slowly but surely getting to the point where upscaling is straight up better at a much lower cost.

Top Bottom