• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Recommendation thread: Good shows and movies that take place during/around historical events(Shogun inspired thread)

They don't have to be Shogun-level quality, they just have to be a good watch.

For example, I enjoyed Vikings.

maxresdefault.jpg

Any recommendations from any time are welcome.

cormack12

Gold Member
I’ve seen a poster for this before. Is this related to Vikings or it’s own thing?
Its own thing, it's good though. Takes you a few episodes to get used to the voices/accents. Valhalla is the sequel to Vikings.

Fiction is fine too.

It's set around the Jacobite/Bonnie Prince timelines as seen through an interloper. But then I'm only on season 2 myself but the historical parts are quite informative.

You might like Marco Polo, I never got into that though.

jason10mm

Gold Member
You might like Marco Polo, I never got into that though.
I liked it, even if its basically just fiction.

The Borgias was fun. The european version was a hoot as they cast actors from all over (including America) and everyone just muddles through in English as best they can, leading to a single family having thick german, italian, english, spanish, and american accents. Never watched the Showtime (?) one but it was supposed to be good as well. All of these shows were early enough to have lots of nudity and not be infected with the DEI virus. The DaVinci's Demons show was fun but absolutely not historical, I think it ended on a big cliffhanger as well. White Queen has a young Rebecca Ferguson (oh my...) but didn't really grab me the way The Tudors did (they don't overlap, I don't think, but feel/look kinda similar). The HBO John Adams mini was fantastic. Jason Mamoas canadian fur trapper Frontier show didn't grab me either but its a not often explored part of history. Warrior is fantastic as a look at San Francisco in the 1800s but is about as realistic as Vikings, which is to say not very.

I'd be remiss to not mention an actual family friendly show in The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles which does have a lot of historic educational value.

Last edited:

MrMephistoX

The Tudors is fun if historically inaccurate on several details: Natalie Dormer is ridiculously attractive in it and so are Johnathan Rhys Mayers and Young Henry Cavill.

Last edited:
I'll add another recommendation that I said in the Shogun thread: Tokyo Vice

It takes place in late 1990s Japan and it has had a really great 2 seasons so far. For any fans of video game series 'Yakuza' or 'Judgment', who are looking for a more grounded take, definitely check this out.

Last edited:
Top Bottom