• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reggie speaks: "I want another [mature] Mario"

From August's EGM:

"I want another Mario--I want a Mario that's relevant to today's teens."--Nintendo Executive Vice President of Sales and Marketing Reggie Fils-Aime

Mature Mario on the way?

Edit:

Shit, wrong forum, can someone move it please?

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Really, just give me a Mario that's up to par with Mario 64 and I'm good. No need to make him "mature".

...how would you do that, anyhow? Have him smoke cigars? Or would it be that lame irritating "attitude" that so many 3D platformers have these days?

bionic77

human5892 said:
Really, just give me a Mario that's up to par with Mario 64 and I'm good. No need to make him "mature".

...how would you do that, anyhow? Have him smoke cigars? Or would it be that lame irritating "attitude" that so many 3D platformers have these days?

I agree that giving him an "extreme" attitude like Sonic and all of his clones woul just alienate the market they are trying to capture, but they could make it more mature by giving Mario some sort of mature storyline. I don't think they can pull it off and don't think they should try either, leave mario as he is and if you want the adult segments make a new franchise instead of butchering mario.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
A mature Mario is the worst idea I've ever heard. If there's one franchise which you can't make mature, it's Mario.

How on earth can you make Mario relevant to teens?

While we're on the topic of Nintendo re-envisioning their franchises, here's another August 2004 EGM quote from Miyamoto:

"There were very, very, very, very many people out there who wanted Link to change."

Suck it down Fetus Link and Celda-supporters!

Tenguman

I think he just wants a mario game that's not overly cute. SMS was pushing it, not to mention mario's voice getting higher and higher

Wolfy

Banned
Princess beach had a big bosom in SSBM, so in the next mario expect her to be in a swimsuit getting sprayed with whipped cream.

SyNapSe said:
What was the first "mature" Mario!?
I think by "another" he means new/different rather than second.

However, bah to that action! Mario... relevant to the teens of the 2000s... other than the relevance he has for those of us who've been following Mario for 20 years, I can't imagine what could be done and still have it be recognizably Mario. And if it's not recognizably Mario... well, there's a chance for one of those new franchises haters are always saying should pop up.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
DJ Demon J said:
From August's EGM:

"I want another Mario--I want a Mario that's relevant to today's teens."--Nintendo Executive Vice President of Sales and Marketing Reggie Fils-Aime

"We're the MTV Generation. We feel neither the highs or lows!"

"So how does this make you feel?"

"Meh"

Tellaerin

Urban Mario. A 2D game like Paper Mario with graffiti-art character designs, and a new graphics technique that creates the illusion of spray-painted characters animating on a bump-mapped brick wall background. :p

Cast Mario as a down on his luck private eye with his brother/partner Luigi. Then, make koopa a fast-living drug lord, on the verge of taking over Mushroom Ghetto.

Super Mario Brothers: The Movie: The Game for The Revolution! Dennis Hopper re-cast as Koopa! Bob Hoskins and John Leguizamo voice-recording session details! Spong exclusive! You know you want it!

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
DJ Demon J said:
While we're on the topic of Nintendo re-envisioning their franchises, here's another August 2004 EGM quote from Miyamoto:

"There were very, very, very, very many people out there who wanted Link to change."

Suck it down Fetus Link and Celda-supporters!

NOOOOOOooooooo!

Tabris

All of you people are lame, we all know who's the defender of all that is good in video games...

REGGIE VERSUS SEGATA SANSHIRO IN FINAL BATTLE! FIGHT!

...it's obviousely Segata Sanshiro! Hero for all mankind!!

This Reggie guy is lame in comparison. Segata Sanshiro can throw people helluva far. He can ice-skate faster than any ice-skater before, without skates. He trains using a large saturn pad, honing his skills. He can stop missles being fired at Sega's headquarters.!

segata_b.gif

Segata Sanshiro would SO "perfect" this Reggie chump.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Mature Mario: Have in star in a Mario game with a relatively important storyline (none of this bake me a cake or save tropical island wackiness) and give characters more depth. Envision the Mushroom World as a massive country without boundaries and have Mario explore the regions to solve problems related to the Mushroom Kingdom. Give Mario an actual feeling of respect and admiration within the Kingdom and take away his voice (I love how Mario interacts with the people in the Paper Mario series). Mario will still play the exact same but giving the story more emphasis and drama will pretty much "MATUREIZE" the game and project Mario in a more dramatic light and properly address him as a hero that singlehandedly rescues an entire country.

Docpan

If they ruin Mario the way they ruined Sonic (Dreamcast era), I'm going to fucking personally find Reggie and kick his ass.

Rhage

Tenguman said:
I think he just wants a mario game that's not overly cute. SMS was pushing it, not to mention mario's voice getting higher and higher
That's what I assume too. And hopefully this is it.

Less cutsie = good. "Mature" as in GTA, probably not so good.

WarPig

Tabris said:
Segata Sanshiro would SO "perfect" this Reggie chump.

See, my theory is that Reggie and Segata Sanshiro would beat the shit out of each other, make up, form a mighty crime-fighting team, and go beat the shit out of Kaz Hirai together. It would rock all ass.

DFS.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
I wish that quote would have had further elaboration by him. I think on the same page they have the famous quote by Shiggy about how if Mario 128 wasn't at E3 he would be shirking his responsibility, etc.

bonesquad

Mario is a really good guy. He's not 'just a nice guy' though - he works hard. He sweats his guts out for his family and his girlfriend. He exercises every day because he has to play the starring role every time a new Nintendo console is released. Right now, he seems to be making preparations for the new Dolphin. Oh, you will see a new side to him on the Dolphin.

Don't you think Mario and Luigi have been too cutesy lately? I want them to act a little more like adults. So you will see a matured Mario. As for his brother (Luigi), he now has a cool attitude about things. He believes he doesn't need to play a main roll. He's a second-born son and he knows how to take a break, just like me. I'm a second-born son too. -Shigeru Miyamoto

Hmm... that was said before GameCube even got its name...

Kon Tiki

Banned

So Mario will be illiterate and hate Arabs?

DrLazy

I don't want a Mario with a in depth storyline, and I don't want a Shrek-type-Mario.

The story in Mario 64 was the best story ever. The princess baked a cake, Mario came to visit, Princess kidnapped, game begins. Does the story matter? No, unless it goes sonic or Metal Gear. You're never going to satisfy all audiences, so why try? I'm sure some kids like the Sonic storyline, but its better to just leave it to the imagination. The story in supermario Sunshine sucked. The less story the better.

ge-man

DrLazy said:
I don't want a Mario with a in depth storyline, and I don't want a Shrek-type-Mario.

The story in Mario 64 was the best story ever. The princess baked a cake, Mario came to visit, Princess kidnapped, game begins. Does the story matter? No, unless it goes sonic or Metal Gear. You're never going to satisfy all audiences, so why try? I'm sure some kids like the Sonic storyline, but its better to just leave it to the imagination. The story in supermario Sunshine sucked. The less story the better.

I agree. Just throw me in the middle of a virtual playground of discovery and I'll be fine. I'm not looking for Shakespeare or Kubrick.

WarPig said:
See, my theory is that Reggie and Segata Sanshiro would beat the shit out of each other, make up, form a mighty crime-fighting team, and go beat the shit out of Kaz Hirai together. It would rock all ass.

Unfortunately this dream team will never come to be, as Segata Sanshiro is no longer with us. May he rest in peace. :(

However, his theme song lives on, hard rock style, on the new SEGA ROCKS vol. 1 album! That alone is reason enough to buy it. Or at the very least, torrent it.

Top Bottom