• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Bros Wonder. | Final Early Access Preview are Up

gundalf

Think that's cuz 2D Mario's got way more levels than any 3D Mario so over time you just sort of make levels to fill in the gaps. There are some standouts and there's some just good/ok stuff.

With the "standouts" are you referring to past 2D titles or the new SMB:W?

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
every time there's a new Super Mario game coming out , it feels like if I was a kid waiting to open my presents on Christmas eve.

I get it. Mario is pure childhood to me. Mario is games. SMB 2 and 3 were both big deal Xmas presents for Chuck.

Also remember seeing this at Waldenbooks and getting my first erection.

EBMNUME.jpg

Scotty W

Gold Member
That Eurogamer quote reads like "The game went in all directions randomly and makes no sense, but let's turn this into a positive".
I’m hopeful. I think Nintendo has been really affected by the success of Minecraft and Mario Maker. They know they have to contend with infinity but make it cohere. Can they?

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Eh. All the recent 2D sequels Mario’s are pretty mid. Just not my thing.

Previews aren’t changing my mind either

Waiting for the next really ambitious Switch 2 Mario
I’m the biggest Mario fan there is, but the uninspiring history of 2D Mario since SNES days has me hesitant to put my expectations too high here. I liked (didn’t love) the 2D Mario game on Wii U, but the 3D Mario’s have consistently been amazing over the years. Most people don’t realize the 2D/3D teams are completely separate, thus IMO the gulf in quality.

Regardless, I sincerely hope this turns out to be a classic and I’m proven wrong.

Astral Dog

I’m the biggest Mario fan there is, but the uninspiring history of 2D Mario since SNES days has me hesitant to put my expectations too high here. I liked (didn’t love) the 2D Mario game on Wii U, but the 3D Mario’s have consistently been amazing over the years. Most people don’t realize the 2D/3D teams are completely separate, thus IMO the gulf in quality.

Regardless, I sincerely hope this turns out to be a classic and I’m proven wrong.
I think it will be as good as these impressions hint, but there will always be those purists who dislike it based on the art and visual design,maybe the music as well since it resembles the nsmb titles

Wonder looks like the evolution 2D Mario needed and its gonna be worth the long wait since NSMB U , the only thing im worried about is the difficulty and challenge in the levels, i hope its at least like the console Mario games and not the handheld ones

Jinzo Prime

I’m hopeful. I think Nintendo has been really affected by the success of Minecraft and Mario Maker. They know they have to contend with infinity but make it cohere. Can they?

I feel like the central idea of Wonder is "what can we do that Super Mario Maker can't?" Sepcial handcrafted events are certainly the one thing that cannot be replicated in a Maker game.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Of course you retards LOVED the characters bumping into each other making every level a pure MP clusterfuck in those New games. Of fucking course :messenger_tears_of_joy:

"Soulless"

Many of you clearly forgot to medicate today
Character not colliding makes also for MP fun when you have even more overlapping sprites you cannot distinguish ;).

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Character not colliding makes also for MP fun when you have even more overlapping sprites you cannot distinguish ;).

Well I mean, maybe you have that problem. I personally dont. I also dont play these newer 2D games as multiplayer games.

If I play a Mario game with someone else, itll more than likely be one of the 2D classics. I like the whole taking turns if you fuck up sort of thing.

Stafford

It's too bad there's no real online co-op. Would've been awesome to play with my brother. There is couch co-op though, right?

Well I mean, maybe you have that problem. I personally dont. I also dont play these newer 2D games as multiplayer games.

If I play a Mario game with someone else, itll more than likely be one of the 2D classics. I like the whole taking turns if you fuck up sort of thing.
Swap on lives and levels crew.

Top Bottom