• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Release dates announced for Thousand Year Door Remake and Luigi Mansion 2 HD port

The Paper Mario game will release May 23rd

The Luigi Mansion game will release June 27th.

Not too long a wait for The Thousand Year Door, which is a game I highly recommend any Nintendo fan pick up if they never played it. One of the finest Gamecube games and rpg games ever released.

Preach! One of my all-time favorite games. And the remake comes out on my birthday!

I hope there’s a decent amount of new content. I’ve beaten it like 5 times since 2004.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Grabbing both. Thousand years door I played on Gamecube and it was great, but I don't have the game or console around anymore. Luigi's mansion 2 is a fresh playthrough, and I loved LM3 (seriously, it's one of the best games on Switch) so I'm excited as fuck.

Last edited:

Holammer

Hope TTYD's anarchic writing and humour haven't been "improved" for modern audiences.

Dx4oF-9XcAE1cjh.jpg

Grabbing both. Thousand years door I played on Gamecube and it was great, but I don't have the game or console around anymore. Luigi's mansion 2 is a fresh playthrough, and I loved LM3 (seriously, it's one of the best games on Switch) so I'm excited as fuck.
Excited to play 2 in definitive form. No issues of playing on a tiny, cramped handheld without precise camera control.

Hope TTYD's anarchic writing and humour haven't been "improved" for modern audiences.

Dx4oF-9XcAE1cjh.jpg
Everything so far has suggested a very faithful remake, straight to the core. I imagine the whitty writing will remain in tact. Just as Flurry’s large bust has.

The game loudly celebrates ‘weird’ on its sleeve. And I think that’s what so many of us love about it.

Last edited:

Andyliini

Was not expecting TTYD to come first!

That means we have 6 Nintendo published games in H1 2024 and currently 0 for H2.

There's bound to be a Direct soonish.
6 games in 6 months is not a bad amount, even if most of them are rereleases. I too hope there will be a Direct soon (April was rumored before) to pad out Q3 months.

So far April has no games, but May has two. There could be something shadow dropped, but I doubt it.

Yes they've used Mario Day and the Partner Direct to fill out the H1 lineup. But I think they need to start talking about H2 before the end of June.
We’ll see 🤷‍♂️. It’s gonna be a light year with new console being pushed to next spring. I think hence why none of these announcements were in a full general Direct in the usual February slot, and instead they’re drip-feed piece-mealing these announcements out.

Chastten

Banned
Not especially interested in Luigi but Paper Mario in just 2 months is great news!

I do wonder what they'll have left for the 2nd half of the year though. Metroid Prime 4 and Pokemon Z should both be next year so that leaves a really big gap this year.

6 games in 6 months is not a bad amount, even if most of them are rereleases. I too hope there will be a Direct soon (April was rumored before) to pad out Q3 months.

So far April has no games, but May has two. There could be something shadow dropped, but I doubt it.
Being the last year of Switch and sales still being reasonably good, I think it’s fine for them to skip a month here or there. At this point April won’t have anything noteworthy, and that’s fine. It won’t hurt sales too much. Nintendo is just riding out the last year of Switch as best they can.

July will probably be empty too. But that’s fine because whatever’s announced for Q3 will fill in Aug & Sep.

gamer82

never played thousand year door so new game for me on the backlog and nice timing as studies will be finihsing in june so plemty of time to chill . only breifly had a go on lugis mansion 2 so will eventually pick that up before it ends up being hard to get a hold of if its not ported over to switch 2

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
F Zero GX HD with 30 player online for the second half of the year, along with a reworked StarFox Zero and maybe a Zelda port or two.

I'm still holding out hope for Metroid Prime 4 this year, along with ports of 2 and 3.

And there will have to be something bigger for the holidays.
My money is on a sequel or expansion to Ring Fit along with a chunky bit of DLC for Mario Wonder.

TTYD is an all time great, 10/10, but I cannot believe we get it at half the frame rate that it was on GameCube.
We don’t know that for sure. It ain’t official til it’s official. September 2023 was 6 months ago and this thing doesn’t come out for another 90ish days.

While I’d always prefer 60 fps if given the choice, a turn-based RPG isn’t exactly framerate-dependent

Paper Mario 64 is also an all-time great and it doesn’t even hit 30 most of the time

Last edited:

TexMex

We don’t know that for sure. It ain’t official til it’s official. September 2023 was 6 months ago and this thing doesn’t come out for another 90ish days.

While I’d always prefer 60 fps if given the choice, a turn-based RPG isn’t exactly framerate-dependent

Paper Mario 64 is also an all-time great and it doesn’t even hit 30 most of the time

Have you played TTYD? One of the turn based battles’ central mechanics is around timed button presses. 60fps is key unless they expand the timing windows for success.

Also, the whole argument around slower games not needing it is lost on me. Is it as important, technically no. But it sure looks and feels better on ANY game and there is zero reason to excuse a remaster of a 20 year old GameCube game getting its frame rate cut in half.

Woopah

On average they release 1 game per month, but yes that doesn't mean a game every single month.

April could have a remaster shadow dropped like Prime or Pikmin 1+2
We’ll see 🤷‍♂️. It’s gonna be a light year with new console being pushed to next spring. I think hence why none of these announcements were in a full general Direct in the usual February slot, and instead they’re drip-feed piece-mealing these announcements out.
I think the original plan was to have a Switch 2 reveal event in March or April (before their investors meeting).

The Switch 2 delay probably pushes that back a bit, so that they will now have one more Direct with only Switch 1 games.

H2 might be light in terms of new games, but not games overall. Otherwise Nintendo wouldn't have released so much in H1.

It’s incredible to think we had no idea Super Mario Wonder even existed before June last year
Not unusual for Nintendo. In 2023, 4 out of 5 H2 games were unknown or undated before June.

In 2021, it was 3 out 5.

It’s incredible to think we had no idea Super Mario Wonder even existed before June last year
I mean they do that every year, basically. 6 month gaps from announcement to release is Nintendo’s preferred method for most announcements. You can trace it back to like 2008 or before.

Animal Crossing City Folk
New Super Mario Bros Wii
Donkey Kong Country Returns
Nintendo Land
Super Mario 3D World
Paper Mario Color Splash
Arms
Splatoon 2
Smash Bros Ultimate
Mario 3D All Stars was literally 2 weeks. Literally
Metroid Dread was only 4 months. Crazy
Nintendo Switch Sports was like 3 months.
Metroid Prime Remastered was released the same day it was announced. Lol
Super Mario RPG remake
Super Mario Bros Wonder

And it’s become even more common since the Switch era started. Sometimes they do it even more than once in the same year.

I’m fairly certain it will happen again this year. I just don’t agree with others on this thread recently about a June Direct this year, given how things have gone this far. I think console transition periods are different and Nintendo shakes it up for a year or so until they settle into a routine with the new hardware. I think this year might be drip-feeds.

They could have had a banger General Direct in Feb this year, as always, but instead they chose to hold all these announcements for a 2 minute video for March 10th 🤷‍♂️, and make the Feb Direct just third-parties.

So surely they have games for second half but it will be a light year, and they don’t need to have a June Direct. They skipped it in 2022, too.

Last edited:
Long have I heard the praises for The Thousand Year Door, I’m intrigued to finally play it.
I firmly stand by it as one of my favorite games of all time. It’s funny and brilliant, and the ultimate Mario RPG game. For sure.

Having said that, it’s been in my stable of replayable games for 20 years. So I’m hardly objective.

Playing it nowadays every couple years feels like coming home for Thanksgiving. And truly there is nothing else quite like it.

Last edited:

Woopah

So surely they have games for second half but it will be a light year, and they don’t need to have a June Direct. They skipped it in 2022, too.
They could skip it in June in 2022, because at that point they had already announced their 5 H2 games.

It's a very different situation in 2024 games, so they need to do a general Direct at some point in Spring/Summer.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Spreading these out thin now… switch 2 is march 2025 book it. I don’t expect many more switch 1 exclusives going forward and with BC these will fill in switch 2 gaps

They could skip it in June in 2022, because at that point they had already announced their 5 H2 games.

It's a very different situation in 2024 games, so they need to do a general Direct at some point in Spring/Summer.
No. It’s because outside of Pokemon they didn’t have any major first party games for Holiday 2022. So they had to rely on third-parties.

And everything they’ve done this year so far suggests they aren’t in any rush to do a first-party Direct. So it’s the opposite of what you’re saying. And they don’t have to do anything. And console transition years are tricky. So going by past precedent to try and predict what they’ll do this year is useless, quite honestly.

They can and in all likelihood will go most of the way through June without any announcements for games coming after Luigi’s Mansion 2 in June. Up until earlier this morning, there were no other dated games for 2024 with a release window. It’s going to be a light year for sure, while they toil away in secrecy on all the launch window games for the new console.

Last edited:

Woopah

No. It’s because outside of Pokemon they didn’t have any major first party games for Holiday 2022. So they had to rely on third-parties.

And everything they’ve done this year so far suggests they aren’t in any rush to do a first-party Direct. So it’s the opposite of what you’re saying. And they don’t have to do anything. And console transition years are tricky. So going by past precedent to try and predict what they’ll do this year is useless, quite honestly.

They can and in all likelihood will go most of the way through June without any announcements for games coming after Luigi’s Mansion 2 in June. It’s going to be a light year for sure.
They published Xenoblade 3 and Live A Live in July, Splatoon 3 in September, Bayonetta 3 in October and Pokemon S/V in November.

Hence why no general direct in June 2022. Not because they didnt have games, but because their 5 H2 games were already announced.

It is possible that they have no games planed for July/August 2024, and so can wait until July to have a general Direct. But they can't wait until September to announce their H2 first party line up, that would be too late.

Last edited:
I just acquired the N64 Paper Mario, which I will play after I finish Ocarina. So this could be good timing. Although, will the game actually run smoothly? The latest Switch games all seem to have framedrops.

I just acquired the N64 Paper Mario, which I will play after I finish Ocarina. So this could be good timing. Although, will the game actually run smoothly? The latest Switch games all seem to have framedrops.
Paper Mario on NSO runs exactly as it does on N64. The game chugged on N64 in quite a few areas, but it is perfectly playable. One of my favorites. I credit that game with getting me into turn-based RPGs.

Spreading these out thin now… switch 2 is march 2025 book it. I don’t expect many more switch 1 exclusives going forward and with BC these will fill in switch 2 gaps
They'll have a couple things for the holidays, for sure. The March 2025 pivot means they didn't desperately need to launch hardware this year to boost their sales, they could afford to wait another 6 months. That kind of confidence only happens if you have the games to finish out 2024 without new hardware.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Yeah but their 100% will be ports of all the new software coming out now for switch 2 as well. So any new titles will be switch and switch 2 going forward 100%.
What the upchrage will be on switch 2 is yet to be know. Hopefully 9.99-19.99 for uncharges but knowing Nintendo they will be different skis and cost 59.99 again.

Im not buying any new switch games this year until I know this info.

Last edited:
Yeah but their 100% will be ports of all the new software coming out now for switch 2 as well. So any new titles will be switch and switch 2 going forward 100%.
What the upchrage will be on switch 2 is yet to be know. Hopefully 9.99-19.99 for uncharges but knowing Nintendo they will be different skis and cost 59.99 again.

Im not buying any new switch games this year until I know this info.
Yeah, that's probably not a bad idea. I'm glad you mentioned this, I hadn't really considered it, but I wouldn't put it past Ninty for a big upcharge or separate sku.

Last edited:
Top Bottom