• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the sales potential of the Super Mario RPG Remake?

How much do you think Super Mario RPG will sell lifetime?

• >1 million

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • 1 million to 2 million

Votes: 10 17.2%
  • 2 million to 3 million

Votes: 6 10.3%
  • 3 million to 4 million

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • 4 million to 5 million

Votes: 10 17.2%
  • 5 million to 6 million

Votes: 5 8.6%
  • 6 million to 7 million

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • 7 million to 8 million

Votes: 5 8.6%
  • 8 million to 9 million

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • 9 million to 10 million

Votes: 6 10.3%
  • <10 million

Votes: 4 6.9%

• Total voters

Nautilus

Banned
With the remake's announcement, it got me thinking: What's the potential of a Mario RPG nowadays?

The original did a bit more than 2 million units back in the day. And as far as I know, the best selling Mario RPG is Bowser's Inside Story, at a bit above 4 million.

But this is the remake of a dearly beloved game that only got more notiriety over the years, and the last new original Mario RPG we got was the mash up between Mario and Luigi and Paper Mario in the 3DS. So fans are hungry for a new game, even if its a remake.

I believe this game has the potential to do minimum 5 million units. But I feel in me bones that this will eventually do 7.5+ million units.

What do you guys think?

Edit:

Mario RPG sales
  1. Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story - 4.56m
  2. Super Paper Mario - 4.23m
  3. Paper Mario: The Origami King - 3.34m
  4. Mario & Luigi: Dream Team - 2.68m
  5. Paper Mario: Sticker Star - 2.48m
  6. Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - 2.15m
  7. Super Mario RPG - 2.14m
  8. Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door - 1.91m
  9. Mario & Luigi: Partner in Time - 1.73m
  10. Paper Mario - 1.37m
  11. Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam - 1.08m
Every other entry sold below the 1m mark

Last edited:

Andyliini

As far as I know, Bowser's Inside Story sold more than 5 million copies, making it the best selling Mario RPG ever made. That said, it was more than 10 years ago, and the games haven't sold as good since then.

Theb again, Switch games tend to sell better than previous consoles and many series have solf their record on Switch. Therefore, I think that this game will sell around 3 million copies worldwide. It could be way more though, depending on how much Nintendo advertizes it.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
The game could be Mario wipes his ass and it’ll do millions.

Just like with Super Metroid, new people discover these classics as the years go by. Especially on Switch, it’ll do gangbusters.

Nautilus

Banned
As far as I know, Bowser's Inside Story sold more than 5 million copies, making it the best selling Mario RPG ever made. That said, it was more than 10 years ago, and the games haven't sold as good since then.

Theb again, Switch games tend to sell better than previous consoles and many series have solf their record on Switch. Therefore, I think that this game will sell around 3 million copies worldwide. It could be way more though, depending on how much Nintendo advertizes it.
Well, Super Mario RPG is usually regarded the best Mario RPG, even when you include Bowsers Inside Story.

So there's hope!

Drizzlehell

Banned
I would play that if it came out on any platform outside of Switch which it probably never would so whatevs.

A shame because I remember liking it when I played it once many years ago.

Nautilus

Banned
I would play that if it came out on any platform outside of Switch which it probably never would so whatevs.

A shame because I remember liking it when I played it once many years ago.
Just buy a Switch Lite or something like that. Or if the Switch 2 appeals more to you and is BC, wait for that.

Super Mario RPG is a first party game. It is going nowhere.

Nautilus

Banned
K, I’m still gonna keep my 2-3 million based on that. But wouldn’t be surprised if it hit at 5.
Do we know what the Octo sell through was on the switch?
The first one? That was a new IP and had no recognizable carachters other than being a Square game?

More than 3.5 million units. And that figure is at least a year old.

Edit: Oh only on Switch? Square doesn't break sales down like that, but we know sales were heavily skewed torwards the Switch. So probably around 3 millions. And that's an old number.

Last edited:

Trilobit

I voted 2-3 million as the original only sold 1.47M. I'm personally a bit hesitant about buying this game as while I loved Superstar Saga on the GBA, I wasn't entirely sold on the original SMRPG. But if it gets good reviews and is an excellent remake then I might dip my toes in it.

0b4sthY.png

Jinzo Prime

I have a weird feeling this is going to sell very well. Mario movie hype, nostalgia, Switch magic, and holiday marketing is going to really boost this. Link's Awakening remake sold 6 million copies for comparison.

kiphalfton

Not trying to discredit the game... but I wouldn't doubt it if most consumers who buy it, don't actually know what it is they're getting into (yes it has "RPG" in the title, but it's not like the average consumer isn't uninformed).

Probably same thing happened with Mario Rabbids.

Last edited:

Dorago

I don't like the look they chose and even I'm soy mouthing over the thought of it. There are 100+ million Switches out there and Nintendo always has a big sellthrough. It'll be higher than Metroid Dread at least.

With the remake's announcement, it got me thinking: What's the potential of a Mario RPG nowadays?

The original did a bit more than 2 million units back in the day. And as far as I know, the best selling Mario RPG is Bowser's Inside Story, at a bit above 4 million.

But this is the remake of a dearly beloved game that only got more notiriety over the years, and the last new original Mario RPG we got was the mash up between Mario and Luigi and Paper Mario in the 3DS. So fans are hungry for a new game, even if its a remake.

I believe this game has the potential to do minimum 5 million units. But I feel in me bones that this will eventually do 7.5+ million units.

What do you guys think?

Edit:

Mario RPG sales
  1. Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story - 4.56m
  2. Super Paper Mario - 4.23m
  3. Paper Mario: The Origami King - 3.34m
  4. Mario & Luigi: Dream Team - 2.68m
  5. Paper Mario: Sticker Star - 2.48m
  6. Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - 2.15m
  7. Super Mario RPG - 2.14m
  8. Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door - 1.91m
  9. Mario & Luigi: Partner in Time - 1.73m
  10. Paper Mario - 1.37m
  11. Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam - 1.08m
Every other entry sold below the 1m mark

How sad is it that Origami King and Sticker Star are even in this list. They are literally not RPGs in any form or fashion. They are story-driven action games, as Bill Trinen fondly says of the Paper Mario series now.

I think it’s safe to remove them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom