• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: Sony won't be at Gamescom 2023

Draugoth

Gold Member

Mr.Phoenix

Great, we are getting a Geoff Keighley presents: Fall Games Fest in about 2-3 years, huh?
Think that's called the VGA.

Seriously though, with everything going digital now, why do these shows even exist? I was shocked to see GK turning SGF into a Iive show. Honesty can't see the point. He is slowly turning SGF into the monster that E3 became.

Soon there will be booths so attendees can play games and showgirls, and then each major platform holder has their own conference.....

See, E3.

Stay around long enough and watch yourself become the villain.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Seriously though, with everything going digital now, why do these shows even exist? I was shocked to see GK turning SGF into a Iive show. Honesty can't see the point. He is slowly turning SGF into the monster that E3 became.

Soon there will be booths so attendees can play games and showgirls, and then each major platform holder has their own conference.....

See, E3.

I think that's his intentions in the end. He went from total admiration for E3 (like all of us in our youth), to possibly being the man behind the new E3.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Are they skipping because they don't have things to show or because they think they don't get any value from it?

If the latter, I think, sadly, it makes sense.

Games come in so white hot now and gamers are so critical of technical problems that putting early demos on a show floor is unlikely to yield great PR. So no need to have a stand on a show floor.
If a digital presence is enough to get the clicks then it's probably cheaper, more efficient and more easy to control if you just do your own pre recorded show.

I assume that Geoff's shows could quite easily end up being third party only, and then quite quickly be nothing as platform holders run their own streams - which they already do. I have no idea how much Geoff is charging to have a game featured on the show, but if Microsft/Nintendo/Sony wanted to, they could do it for free as part of promoting their platform. I assume that the model Geoff used could at some people bring his own shows to a close, just as he seems to be doing with E3 and other shows.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: K2D

Kurotri

When E3 was still a thing Sony skipped it too in favour of their own showcases. Gamescom is even less relevant than E3, why would they attent? They'll probably have another showcase around that time anyway.

feynoob

Great, we are getting a Geoff Keighley presents: Fall Games Fest in about 2-3 years, huh?
Season 5 No GIF by The Office

Summer snooze fest is enough. I don't want another snooze fest.

feynoob

When E3 was still a thing Sony skipped it too in favour of their own showcases. Gamescom is even less relevant than E3, why would they attent? They'll probably have another showcase around that time anyway.
It's state of play probably.

FeralEcho

Thank God!!!Stay the fuck at home Sony and get sober before you do another showing after the garbage you showed us last time.

i don't need another dose of dissapointment from a showcase of this industry.They can all stay the fuck at home for all i care and jerk off to all the Gaas games announced since money chasing and uninspired shit îs all they peddle.

Thank God for some Japanesse studios like Capcom who can still deliver quality games on a regular basis and have a bright future ahead while western devs battle on who gives the most gaas.

State of this industry right now!
Animation Illustration GIF by commotion.tv

ReBurn

Gold Member
The big publishers just don't need the big game trade shows any more. Now that game sales are mostly digital it's not all that important to court retailers. Traditional games media is barely relevant. It's less expensive and more effective to just stream their own video showcases directory consumers and pump influencers to build hype.

See, E3.

I want this to happen TBH. I miss E3, and I miss booth babes.

Just don't go leaking emails and phone numbers, and you're good.

Thank God!!!Stay the fuck at home Sony and get sober before you do another showing after the garbage you showed us last time.

i don't need another dose of dissapointment from a showcase of this industry.They can all stay the fuck at home for all i care and jerk off to all the Gaas games announced since money chasing and uninspired shit îs all they peddle.

Thank God for some Japanesse studios like Capcom who can still deliver quality games on a regular basis and have a bright future ahead while western devs battle on who gives the most gaas.

State of this industry right now!
Animation Illustration GIF by commotion.tv

You do know SF6 is kind of a live-service/GaaS deal, right?

IMO if games do it right like SF6, GT7, MLB etc. where there is plenty of single-player content, meaty single-player campaigns, and you don't need to touch the online content to get your worth out of the game (if you aren't interested in MP).

Problem is so many live-service/GaaS games are lacking in any of that hefty single-player content, so they end up looking shallow by comparison. Hopefully for Sony's sake their live-service/GaaS titles are more like the SF6s and GT7s instead of online-required/MP-only variety (and they still wouldn't need 10-12 of them, IMO).

See, E3.

Watch some interviews with the guy to find out. Geoff understands what went on behind the scenes at E3 and wants to not repeat the same mistakes they've made. I think his aim is not Comic-con or E3 levels, but just being a slightly larger venue than something like PAX. Adding attendees and hosting it in a theater is a good first step.

MiguelItUp

Man, this year while pretty decent with game releases, the game previews and reveals have been so incredibly lackluster it's insane.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
When do we find out what Sony has for 2024?...I remember when we were told that spider man 2 wouldn't be the only thing Sony has for 2023...

Surely they have to announce games for 2024 soon?

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Whoa there mr. mod man... I wasn't taking a stab at sony I was actually trying to take up for them. maybe it came out wrong... lets try again...

Sony has put out Big game after Big game and Big Show after Big show for a long time now. They sometimes .. like everyone else .. need some time to simmer on what they have cooking . You cannot expect Big News after Big News all the time.
They had a good but light on First party show just a week ago. It's obvious they want to sit on things a bit to make big bang later when they are ready.

Last edited:

Woopah

The big publishers just don't need the big game trade shows any more. Now that game sales are mostly digital it's not all that important to court retailers. Traditional games media is barely relevant. It's less expensive and more effective to just stream their own video showcases directory consumers and pump influencers to build hype.
Nintendo will be there this year. I assume other publishers will announce their attendance soon.
When do we find out what Sony has for 2024?...I remember when we were told that spider man 2 wouldn't be the only thing Sony has for 2023...

Surely they have to announce games for 2024 soon?
They have Rise of the Ronin and Conchord for 2024. Hopefully they have more.

0neAnd0nly

They haven’t done Gamescom in years.

This shouldn’t surprise anyone. They’ll do their own thing like they’ve been doing for years.
And that's the problem. It is largely agreed that Sony self governed state of plays / showcases have been ABYSMAL after they DOMINATED e3 for a near decade.

They are overconfident and stuck up and think they don't need anything else, since they are at the top. It is what led to anti-consumer practices in the past that nearly led to Playstation collapsing as a whole.

They are absolutely lucky that Microsoft has completely crapped the bed under Spencer as well, and has a nasty history of anti-consumer BS to not take the easy lead themselves. Doubly lucky that the hottest gaming company, Nintendo, has so many issues with 3rd Party support and have unapologetically tried to take more unique roads with their current consoles - because Sony is making a lot of dumb moves that I feel one day have the potential to bite them.

We shall see.

And that's the problem. It is largely agreed that Sony self governed state of plays / showcases have been ABYSMAL after they DOMINATED e3 for a near decade.

They are overconfident and stuck up and think they don't need anything else, since they are at the top. It is what led to anti-consumer practices in the past that nearly led to Playstation collapsing as a whole.

They are absolutely lucky that Microsoft has completely crapped the bed under Spencer as well, and has a nasty history of anti-consumer BS to not take the easy lead themselves. Doubly lucky that the hottest gaming company, Nintendo, has so many issues with 3rd Party support and have unapologetically tried to take more unique roads with their current consoles - because Sony is making a lot of dumb moves that I feel one day have the potential to bite them.

We shall see.
They’ve had one average showcase. The rest have been great.

X-Wing

The thing is, none of these events have impact in their largest consumer base. It really is just to generate buzz among hardcore gamers but that is becoming less and less relevant.

0neAnd0nly

They’ve had one average showcase. The rest have been great.
As someone who worked in the industry and follow closely for YEARS… I have been to Sony events during the “golden period”, and this hasn’t been it.

I respectfully disagree, and so does the majority of the fan base.

But hey - you are absolutely entitled to your opinion!

Last edited:
As someone who worked in the industry and follow closely for YEARS… I have been to Sony events during the “golden period”, and this hasn’t been it.

I respectfully disagree, and so does the majority of the fan base.

But hey - you are absolutely entitled to your opinion!
Which of their digital showcases, outside of their most recent one, hasn’t been great? There is a reason the largest one was hyped so much - usually Sony brings the heat.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
This just seems kind of lazy/snooty at this point. You're starting to lose me on the PS hype. And what's so crazy is I was here for it. Especially stuff like Stellar Blade and Silent hill.. but this just feels lame.

They aren't obliged to show up at every opportunity!

These events exist to sell products. They are advertisements. And as Sony are doing fine already -especially in Europe- I don't imagine they see much benefit in spending big on yet another showcase.

They will show more of the titles you mention, but at a time they feel will be of most benefit to their sales, and not just for the sake of it.

They aren't obliged to show up at every opportunity!

These events exist to sell products. They are advertisements. And as Sony are doing fine already -especially in Europe- I don't imagine they see much benefit in spending big on yet another showcase.

They will show more of the titles you mention, but at a time they feel will be of most benefit to their sales, and not just for the sake of it.
They are not obligated, but they are nothing without their consumer base. Are they leading the charge? Yes. But that doesn't mean we as consumers don't get to have expectations. And when you skip so many opportunities to present it does not give a feeling of optimism.

I'm not doom and gloom about Sony, but waiting this long to be updated about ANY first party games I've been following sucks. And based on the reactions I saw from others after the conference I'm not the only one that feels that way.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Well when you have no games to show you typically don’t show up but to be fair Sony and Xbox have showed up often without games….

Top Bottom